What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

I have the single disc that was in the Volkskrant's second Filmfestival box last year. But it's also by A-Film, and it should have the same transfer. The R1 is the right aspect ratio, as is the R3, and the German and Scandinavian R2 releases.

Hmm, someone clearly hates Dutch movie-watchers. Did Nigel Powers produce this DVD? :|

Apparently. Bastards!

- Marc, who likes to complain about sub-standard DVD releases.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok this isn't a new movie, its one Im waiting to see,

smHellofromTheMist.jpg

here is a diddy Frank Durabont sent ole harry over at AICN, just a little tease from the MIST, a movie I suspect a lot of us will be seeing in the future!

Btw Alex, how can you move house without having an Internet connection?

That just doesn't make sense to me......

That's what happens when you go back to the 16th Century.

Especially since this is the wireless age! All you need is a neighbor!

Trust me Ender, I've tried to be a parasite but my neighbours have all secured their systems. ( :D )

Here are a few more titles:

The Day After Tomorrow: In my humble opinion this is Emmerich's most atmospheric and best film (spectacle) yet.

Mission Impossible 3: Pretty good episode this third one is. Tom Cruise's phychical performance contributes a lot to tense factor. It's definitely better than the previous attempt, the one made by John Woo.

Donnie Darko: After several years I thought it was time to revisit this film. Personally I find it one of the best films of the last 10 years. It was quite amazing for me to learn that Richard Kelly, the writer/director, was only 26 years old when he made the film.

Monster House: Mediocre CGI animation film.

Over The Hedge: Mediocre CGI animation film.

Dr. Strangelove: I have to admit I was never very fond of this popular Kubrick film and now that I've seen it a third time or so I still don't care for it that much. However, I do love all of Peter Seller's contributions, especially in the shape of colonel Mandrake.

Sling Blade: Well, it didn't survive a second viewing. The (long) intimate chats between Billy Bob Thorton and that kid felt extremely manipulative and they bothered the hell out of me. The good and evil are simply too crudely portrayed. Nice try though. I'm sure most of you will disagree.

Dancer In The Dark: Not sure if I mentioned this before... Another fascinating product by Lars Von Trier. After watching this film I rushed to the store to get Manderlay, his latest film to date.

Manderlay: Wow! What a dissappointment! I truly loved Dogville but this so-called sequel is pure BS with uninteresting story and equally uninteresting characters. Don't see it, or you will loose all faith in Von Trier. Could it be that Lars is already a burnout?

Apocalypse Now Redux: Incredible visualisation of the war in vietnam. Perhaps this extended version explains a little too much about certain things but it's an interesting cut nonetheless.

Kiss Me, Stupid: An old Billy Wilder comedy but it's pretty funny (especially the jealous husband).

Planet Of The Apes: Alright, guys, it is now officially dated! Jerryy's music is still great though.

Serpico: At the time it was an eye-opener but I'm sorry to say that it is now also dated. I seriously hope that Lumet's other movies (Dog Day Afternoon, Prince Of The City in particular) don't share the same faith.

A Room With A View: Hmm, strange, it might have been the terrible transfer (it felt like I was watching a rough cut) but the film did no longer do it for me. Too bad.

Hard Candy: A very good thriller, the last 10 minutes not included. Perhaps this director might be a force to be reckoned with. Let's hope so.

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial: Still enjoyable after all these years, eventhough the climax is way over the top. Of course, I watched the original and thus unaltered version. Say what you want (you CGI generation) but Rambaldi's mechanical puppet is quite an achievement.

Alex

Dr. Strangelove: I have to admit I was never very fond of this popular Kubrick film and now that I've seen it a third time or so I still don't care for it that much. However, I do love all of Peter Seller's contributions, especially in the shape of colonel Mandrake.

I love Sellers' performance(s), but I'd say George C. Scott is at least as good.

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial: Still enjoyable after all these years, eventhough the climax is way over the top. Of course, I watched the original and thus unaltered version. Say what you want (you CGI generation) but Rambaldi's mechanical puppet is quite an achievement.

Alex, since you're so dedicated to comment on the 'dated'-stage of films you saw, this one surely must be one of the most dated (read: it's so 80s!) movies from your list. The over-the-top-climax is the only reason i would bother to watch it again.

Did you find 'Kiss me.Stupid' as amoral as the 'Legion of Decency'? I like the film, but i can see why people would find it tawdry.

The Day After Tomorrow: In my humble opinion this is Emmerich's most atmospheric and best film (spectacle) yet.

I remember being sorely disappointed by it. It was definately a beautiful film to look at, but tended to feel very stiff, humourless and featured Emmerich's superfluous subplots about characters we don't really care about (see ID4, it's loaded with them). Only slightly better than GINO. Had a cool DVD cover though, pardon the pun.

I love Sellers' performance(s), but I'd say George C. Scott is at least as good.

I agree. I love Scott's performance. It's over the top but believable.

I remember being sorely disappointed by it. It was definately a beautiful film to look at, but tended to feel very stiff, humourless and featured Emmerich's superfluous subplots about characters we don't really care about (see ID4, it's loaded with them). Only slightly better than GINO. Had a cool DVD cover though, pardon the pun.

I still think ID4 is his best film.

Alex, since you're so dedicated to comment on the 'dated'-stage of films you saw, this one surely must be one of the most dated (read: it's so 80s!) movies from your list. The over-the-top-climax is the only reason i would bother to watch it again.

Did you find 'Kiss me.Stupid' as amoral as the 'Legion of Decency'? I like the film, but i can see why people would find it tawdry.

Yes, it is dated (the typical Spielberg action scenes are now quite dull) but I'm still enchanted by the doll. I've never seen Legion Of Decency.

Alex

It's amazing how fake and lifeless the CGI E.T. looks in compared to a puppet made 20 years earlier.

Indeed. This reminds me of the time George Lucas visited the Gangs of New York set in Rome. Upon seeing the massive set, he supposedly told Scorsese "You know, Marty we can do all this with computors now". Look at Scorsese's film, and look at Lucas's film. One is real, and vibrant, and full of blood, while the other is a synthetic, plastic product.

Terrible, laughable film. It's amazing that a film this bad is not a director's worst (but, no, Emmerich still made Godzilla).

Mission Impossible 3: Pretty good episode this third one is. Tom Cruise's phychical performance contributes a lot to tense factor. It's definitely better than the previous attempt, the one made by John Woo.

A most forgettable film. Infinately better than Woo's, but I don't think it's nearly as interesting as DePalma's.

Monster House: Mediocre CGI animation film.

Well, I liked it. At least in didn't have the dead eyes of Polar Express.

One of my favorites, always has been.

Sling Blade: Well, it didn't survive a second viewing. The (long) intimate chats between Billy Bob Thorton and that kid felt extremely manipulative and they bothered the hell out of me. The good and evil are simply too crudely portrayed. Nice try though. I'm sure most of you will disagree.

Never saw this one. Always wanted to, I'm a big Billy-Bob fan.

Manderlay: Wow! What a dissappointment! I truly loved Dogville but this so-called sequel is pure BS with uninteresting story and equally uninteresting characters. Don't see it, or you will loose all faith in Von Trier. Could it be that Lars is already a burnout?

A Pretencious, stupid burnout, yes. I loved Breaking The Waves, and liked Dogville, but I suspect that Von Trier had a different film in mind than the one I saw.

Apocalypse Now Redux: Incredible visualisation of the war in vietnam. Perhaps this extended version explains a little too much about certain things but it's an interesting cut nonetheless.

Indeed it is interesting. Even the long French Plantation sequence, while it didn't quite fit in there, it did have a certain....alure about it.

Serpico: At the time it was an eye-opener but I'm sorry to say that it is now also dated. I seriously hope that Lumet's other movies (Dog Day Afternoon, Prince Of The City in particular) don't share the same faith.

I only saw the film once, and was not impressed. I for one do not think that Dog Day Afternoon is dated, the raw energy is still there, and I think Network is still a brilliant black comedy.

Hard Candy: A very good thriller, the last 10 minutes not included. Perhaps this director might be a force to be reckoned with. Let's hope so.

I've been hearing good stuff about it....I must say, the concept on it's own was a bit disturbing to contemplate.

Alex, i what i meant was that 'Kiss me, Stupid' was deemed 'immoral' by the then-powerful 'Legion of Decency' and therefore not widely distributed in the States.

I can see why one would find the film misanthropic, but i liked the 'Polly the Pistol' character very much...Novak wasn't a bad thespian!

Dancer In The Dark: Not sure if I mentioned this before... Another fascinating product by Lars Von Trier. After watching this film I rushed to the store to get Manderlay, his latest film to date.

That is one of the most depressing movies I have ever seen. Warning: do not show it to people with suicidal thoughts.

I was pleasantly surprised by Dogville. I thought it would be too gimmicky, but as the movie unfolds, you're quickly convinced it's the only way the story could have been told. Quite impressive, that.

Can't say I've seen anything else of his, though.

post in progress

Uhm, yes?

I had something to say about every single movie of yours, but it wouldn't allow me to use so many quotes. and because it automatically crops together two posts made in a short period, it didn't allow me to split up the thread either. Than I lost half of what I had written, and gave up on the rest.

That is one of the most depressing movies I have ever seen. Warning: do not show it to people with suicidal thoughts.

Depressing but also very sad and very beautiful. After the film I rewatched the train sequence about 5 times.

Terrible, laughable film. It's amazing that a film this bad is not a director's worst (but, no, Emmerich still made Godzilla).

You forgot to mention ID4, two films I hate with a passion.

Alex

No, I didn't. While you made good progress in your time here, I still like ID4.

But why are we discussing Roland Emmerich, one of the worst directors ever? I just saw a Rob Reiner film, and he happens to have been good a couple of decades ago. And I saw the first and most brilliant Rob Reiner film, This is Spinal Tap. First time with a serious audience. They loved it. And it's just as good as ever.

No, I didn't. While you made good progress in your time here, I still like ID4.

But why are we discussing Roland Emmerich, one of the worst directors ever? I just saw a Rob Reiner film, and he happens to have been good a couple of decades ago. And I saw the first and most brilliant Rob Reiner film, This is Spinal Tap. First time with a serious audience. They loved it. And it's just as good as ever.

Rob Reiner also burned out (too soon). But I agree, Spinal Tap, Stand By Me and Misery are very fine works by the man who once went by the name Meatball!

Alex

I still haven't seen This Is Spinal Tap for some reason, but the other two are really quite good. I didn't even know they were all from the same director.

I still haven't seen This Is Spinal Tap for some reason, but the other two are really quite good. I didn't even know they were all from the same director.

You must make it your goal to sit down and watch Spinal Tap.

I saw The Good Shepherd today.

:)

Well that was fast, even for me. Saw The Good Shepherd. Sorry Justin, you're alone on this one. If I had to sum up this movie in one word: T-E-D-I-O-U-S.

The movie failed to draw me in, only in the last 15 minutes did I care for the main character (And this is a 164 minute movie, people). I was surprised how they manged to make this game of espionage into such a dull thing. It jumped between stories and timelines in a rough fashion, it did not flesh out or explain a lot of the characters, got boring performances out of a bunch of terrific actors. Only actors who I really liked were Michael Gambon and Damon, in the last few minutes.

Some good images in the film, but too few to cinematographically support the film. I loved the anonymous, trench coat and fedora image for Damon, and the image of him burning his father's letter.

Score was just as dull as the film, rarely helping the proceedings, and the big moment for the burning of the letter was much too big.

DeNiro gets a decidedly failed grade in my book. Especially low marks for editing.

*1/2-** out of ****. And I sinceraly doubt I'll ever see the film again to decide which of the low marks it gets.

BTW Marc- I quite liked Elephant, but I've heard of very few people who've seen it. I am very curious as to your thoughts.

I liked Elephant, but I think that it got some things wrong. It felt more like a documentary, when it should have played out like a drama. I have yet to see a movie (save a few) that really captures the feeling of High School through everyones eyes.

Elephant was either a movie so good that it went over my head, or one of the worse movies I have ever seen, though I reckon it´s the first option.

I watched Elephant in an American Cinema course, and I thought it was good. I think the documentary feel was to make it seem more like a snapshot of normal, everyday life, rather than a narrative drama, to accentuate the horrific violence to come. Also, I believe that actual kids from that high school were used in the film, adding to its realism.

Ray Barnsbury

Yeah, it felt like a real high school to me. I got to know the geography of the high school, which is such a big part of the high school experience.

Well that was fast, even for me. Saw The Good Shepherd. Sorry Justin, you're alone on this one. If I had to sum up this movie in one word: T-E-D-I-O-U-S.

The movie failed to draw me in, only in the last 15 minutes did I care for the main character (And this is a 164 minute movie, people). I was surprised how they manged to make this game of espionage into such a dull thing. It jumped between stories and timelines in a rough fashion, it did not flesh out or explain a lot of the characters, got boring performances out of a bunch of terrific actors. Only actors who I really liked were Michael Gambon and Damon, in the last few minutes.

Some good images in the film, but too few to cinematographically support the film. I loved the anonymous, trench coat and fedora image for Damon, and the image of him burning his father's letter.

Score was just as dull as the film, rarely helping the proceedings, and the big moment for the burning of the letter was much too big.

DeNiro gets a decidedly failed grade in my book. Especially low marks for editing.

*1/2-** out of ****. And I sinceraly doubt I'll ever see the film again to decide which of the low marks it gets.

I agree entirely.

It had so much potential, but I just did not care about any of the characters. Remarkable how such an interesting subject was made into such an uninteresting film.

One thing I noticed right away: the scenes were very short. Annoyingly so. It kept cutting backwards and forwards so much. Still not sure about the point of some of the flashbacks.

And who the hell thought Angelina Jolie would be convincing as a sex-starved wife? :)

I just don't think De Niro is a very good director. There is a great skill required in building a film entirely around unsympathetic characters - when done well it works brilliantly, when done badly it falls completely flat. As this did.

One more thing: Billy Crudup must surely get the Dick Van Dyke Award for worst accent of the year.

I'm still on my weekly update method, but I've made some mental notes on van Sant's Elephant. This week was the second time I watched it - first time was a showing at the International Film Festival in Rotterdam a few years back. I didn't care much for it back then. I liked it a bit better the second time, but am still not really impressed. Van Sant's method of luring the viewer into a dull state of mind works almost too well - the first hour (out of only 78 minutes) is rather a bore.

The other Elephant I watched this week was crap.

More on Monday.

Last night I watched Star Wars and RoboCop.

The thing I love about RoboCop is that it works on any level. It's a very effective and funny satire, and gives the viewer a lot to think about - if they want to - but it can also work perfectly as a "popcorn" action film. However "deep" or "shallow" you think it is, whatever level you think of it on, it works. Definitely one of my favourite films of the 1980s.

I took me a while to "get" RoboCop. When I first saw it, I thought that it was just another over-the-top 80's action flick.

I didn't get it first time either. Mainly because when I was a kid, RoboCop was known as some sort of movie hero (thank you, crappy sequels). I still saw there was more to the movie than that when I first saw it, but every time I've seen it since that first viewing it gets better. I've only seen the sequels once. Didn't care much for them first time.

You were probably nine at the time right?

Rococop is one of the best comic book movies ever, up there with Superman The Movie.

About that. I don't know if I would place RoboCop in the same league as Superman or Batman (the good ones). But its still brilliant satire.

The 1989 Batman film is one of the overrated films of all time.

Robocop had got it beat in pretty much every department.

I was talking more about Returns and Begins, which are deeper films than the popcorn 1989 movie.

So, is Legends of the Fall as bad a film as it seems? I saw a few minutes of it on TNT, including the ending with the bear attack (??!). Umm, yeah.

Ray Barnsbury

I never really thought to compare them. :|

RoboCop is a genuinely great film, Batman is just one of my childhood memories, and it doesn't hold up when I look at it any other way.

Not in the score or production design departments. And no character nearly as memorable as The Joker.

The score is great when it's nice and loud, but it has a very weak love theme.

The production design actually makes this film look older then it is. It looks nice, but very....back-lot.

As for The Joker being memorable. Jack Nicholson is basically playing a deranged version of his own screen persono, for more money per sentence then most of us will ever see in a lifetime. He dominated the film in such a degree that it seriously damages it. I blame Tim Burton for forgetting that a film called Batman, is not supposed to be about a guy wearing lipstick!

Combine that with the fact that the film, like al Tim Burton films, has no momentum at all thus feels like it's 3 hours long, you have a very weary time watching it. Not tired from the emotional rollercoaster you just seen, just dog-tired.

Hopefully I'll be seeing Fincher's Zodiac later on tonight. This was high on my anticipation radar, and can't wait to indulge myself in some Fincher goodness!

Tim