I'm listening to the first track of ROTS

Romão

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it. 3 tracks. No need to PM unless other secret stuff comes out.

THAAAAAANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOWWWW!! Comments soon!

Track 15 is not a particularly interesting listen; the "transitions" are hardly transitions; and I seriously question the appropriateness of the Throne Room music being in there at all (let alone in full concert attire).

Track 15:This opens with absolutely beautiful versions of Leia's theme,Luke's Theme and The Force Theme,then into the End Credits.So far I love Battle of the Heroes,so I'll give the Track 3 a listen.The rest of the Credits is indeed a re-hash of Leia's theme concert version and The Throne Room concert version,but better this then repeating tracks from the rest of the album I say.

On to Battle of the Heroes Track 3.

K.M.

I am completely unable to locate this thread, can someone help me, either by PM'ing me, or telling me the subject title of the thread in question....?

Thanks,

Tim

Track 15:This opens with absolutely beautiful versions of Leia's theme,Luke's Theme and The Force Theme,then into the End Credits.So far I love Battle of the Heroes,so I'll give the Track 3 a listen.The rest of the Credits is indeed a re-hash of Leia's theme concert version and The Throne Room concert version,but better this then repeating tracks from the rest of the album I say.

To be honest, I'd rather have some other ROTS track inserted there than have the Throne Room music in there. I can't imagine Williams's reasoning for using it. To lend a tone of optimism? I mean, c'mon...

Is it "yay I'm celebrating 'cause I don't have to score anymore Star Wars films and get my music hacked up"? If so, I'd understand somewhat, but Williams is much more of class act than to do that...

It's AWEOSOME :mrgreen: some parts Anakin vs Obi-Wan sounds like it's ripped right from the Empire OST, but you know it isn't. Nearing the end, it picks up an incredible nice rate.. man, I'm going for the end credits now...

Edit: is it just me, or does the end credit fanfare sound a bit slow?

Track 01 - Star Wars & Revenge of the Sith | First impression: 8/10

Lots of rough cuts but they come at refreshing times, changing the pace to suit the action. The " 'Harry' Grievous" theme sounds even more "Hedwig's" than it did in the preview. Thrilling, precise military-themed quotes of "Force," "Grievous" and "Heroes".

Track 03 - Battle of the Heroes | First impression: 7/10 | Second: 9/10

Wow. It grows on you like a malicious zit. And you just want to squeeze it so tight, in terms of loving and hugging it.

Track 09 - Anakin vs. Obi-Wan | First impression: 8/10

[coming soon]

Track 15 - A New Hope & End Credits | First impression: 8/10 | Second: 9/10

What more could you really expect or hope for? It's close to the perfect finale for the trilogy, though I would have liked a few "Across the Stars" or "Duel of the Fates" quotes much like Williams added "Short-Round's Theme" to the Raiders March ending Temple of Doom.

To be honest, I'd rather have some other ROTS track inserted there than have the Throne Room music in there. I can't imagine Williams's reasoning for using it. To lend a tone of optimism? I mean, c'mon...

Is it "yay I'm celebrating 'cause I don't have to score anymore Star Wars films and get my music hacked up"? If so, I'd understand somewhat, but Williams is much more of class act than to do that...

I'm really not sure whay it's doing there either.

K.M.

It's the end of Star Wars. The Throne Room is the "ultimate" celebration music, to celebrate the finito of the saga (chronologically in our lives), and it draws parallels with the celebrations in most of the other finale tracks.

Well,the first track,The Quidditch Match...I mean The Revenge of the Sith,or the space battle I guess,is ok,but I am not overenthousiastic about it.There's a lot going but the thematic structure seems weak and the piece seems to wander a bit too much....I'll give it a second listen.Is the "Scorpion Dance" in there?

K.M.

It's the end of Star Wars. The Throne Room is the "ultimate" celebration music, to celebrate the finito of the saga (chronologically in our lives), and it draws parallels with the celebrations in most of the other finale tracks.

I don't think that's appropriate, though. A film composer should write from a narrative standpoint, not from the audience's standpoint.

why? I prefer to watch the movies in the Episode IV - III anyway. III is for me the grand finale, and I'm more that pleased Williams is revisitng some of the old themes in it. III is the end of a great trilogy, and a fantastic saga which is worth the celibrating of the throne room :mrgreen:

It's AWEOSOME :D some parts Anakin vs Obi-Wan sounds like it's ripped right from the Empire OST, but you know it isn't.

Um...actually segments of it are ripped directly (not the recording, but the notes)...fortunately Williams has ideas to add.

The rest of the tracks will be posted sometime Saturday, according the forum discussion at theforce.net...

Anyone else really like the slower tempo of the End Credits compared with the others?

Tim

why? I prefer to watch the movies in the Episode IV - III anyway. III is for me the grand finale, and I'm more that pleased Williams is revisitng some of the old themes in it. III is the end of a great trilogy, and a fantastic saga which is worth the celibrating of the throne room ;)

Hey, look, if you want to go celebrate the "end of a great trilogy" by listening to the Throne Room concert piece, be my guest. Go put on your Skywalker Symphony disc or what have you.

I thought that the point of the end credits suite was to build a bridge to Episode IV. I don't think that means putting in a rendition of the Throne Music that totally overpowers what we are to hear at the end of Star Wars.

I thought that the point of the end credits suite was to build a bridge to Episode IV.  I don't think that means putting in a rendition of the Throne Music that totally overpowers what we are to hear at the end of Star Wars.

True,I totally agree.But why is it there then?

K.M.

It's AWEOSOME ;) some parts Anakin vs Obi-Wan sounds like it's ripped right from the Empire OST, but you know it isn't.

Um...actually segments of it are ripped directly (not the recording, but the notes)...fortunately Williams has ideas to add.

yeah I meant that they didn't just go back to the Empire OST and ripped some music from it, as in recording. The notes are exactly the same yes.

why? I prefer to watch the movies in the Episode IV - III anyway. III is for me the grand finale, and I'm more that pleased Williams is revisitng some of the old themes in it. III is the end of a great trilogy, and a fantastic saga which is worth the celibrating of the throne room ;)

Hey, look, if you want to go celebrate the "end of a great trilogy" by listening to the Throne Room concert piece, be my guest. Go put on your Skywalker Symphony disc or what have you.

I thought that the point of the end credits suite was to build a bridge to Episode IV. I don't think that means putting in a rendition of the Throne Music that totally overpowers what we are to hear at the end of Star Wars.

that's not exactly what I meant with celibrating, but whatever. I think it's beatiful, though slightly a bit overdone in the EpIII end credits. To be honest, I was expecting something else (and something shorter), but I'm not displeased with the way it turned out.

It's AWEOSOME ;) some parts Anakin vs Obi-Wan sounds like it's ripped right from the Empire OST, but you know it isn't.

yeah I meant that they didn't just go back to the Empire OST and ripped some music from it, as in recording. The notes are exactly the same yes.

maybe I need some sleep and re-evalue this tomorrow.But to me there's something off about those lifted passages...i can't quite place the reason why yet...it's almost like the lifted passages from Star Wars in Sail Barge Assault.

K.M.

Well it does remind us how brilliant Williams was in 1977,but couldn't he have come up with the brand new Grand Finale?

I don't think that's appropriate, though. A film composer should write from a narrative standpoint, not from the audience's standpoint.

Yeah, but as if the prequel trilogy itself is written from a narrative standpoint (let alone a good one). It's written for the audience who's seen the OT. The PT is almost pointless if you haven't already seen the OT, so it makes more sense to watch the films IV-V-VI-I-III (II is optional), which is what Lucas had intended.

The PT scores reflect that for much of the time, with musical hints to the OT that could only be appreciated by foreknowing the musical future of the saga.

I figured he did it because he thought the fans would go ape. He thought it was something we would like to hear rather then coming to a reasonable or serious conclusion about how to end the score.

Tim

I think the first cue does meander a bit too much for my liking, but then the images will be centre-stage I'd imagine. I believe I heard the 'Scorpion Dance' in there (3.40-4.00 somewhere; mad brass), plus I smiled at the brief inclusion of the 'Grevious' theme & strings we heard in the 60 sec cue (very 'Trade Federation' in this iteration).

Battle of the Heroes will probably grow on me, but right now I think I'm still wary of its 9 notes. I don't mind the theme itself meandering, but it lasts a bit too long. I remember thinking the same for Across the Stars, but that grew on me; as it is, this is an epic theme that shows itself up with that...what is it...rhythym? Not sure. The orchestration is spot-on, however.

I prefered Anakin vs. Obi-Wan as a cue, because it moves faster and is more dynamic. As for the Bespin quotes...I can forgive their inclusion since they are there for a cinematic reason, and Vader's theme is concluded far more satisfactorily.

And the last track...that last track! I can see this stirring debate, but I liked it. The tender beginning is expected yet still satisfies, and the Force theme segue to the iris was a suprise (a slightly unpleasant one, much like my first listen to AOTC credits). But after that, I can't complain...I've always thought the credits music doesn't need to be thematically appropriate; it's Williams having a bit of fun, and we're invited to listen. The performances of themes we've heard before are suitably different to be enjoyable, though my least favourite inclusion here is Battle of the Heroes. The segues in this end credit suite let it down as a whole, but I can't help but enjoy the Force theme orgy that Johnny then engages in! Letting us know for sure that it's definately the strongest theme of the 6-film saga, he plays with the orders of celebration music enough to keep us guessing (though it is here that the segues are at their weakest). Oh, and who else was thrilled at hearing the Tatooine 'motif' at the 10 minute mark? If we were to be pedantic twits and evaluate the credits' thematic relevance, I'd say it was a look forward to the victory that the 'New Hope' (that is, the exiled Obi-Wan, Yoda, Skywalker twins, Bail Organa & Mon Mothama) will celebrate at the end of Ep IV, whilst celebrating the end of a film-making saga from the audience's perspective.