Spielberg Wins "Best Director" Poll....

Greg1138

Empire Magazine's poll to find the best director has just published it's results, and the 'Berg came out on top....top 10 reads:

1. Steven Spielberg

2. Alfred Hitchcock

3. Martin Scorsese

4. Stanley Kubrick

5. Sir Ridley Scott

6. Akira Kurosawa

7. Peter Jackson

8. Quentin Tarantino

9. Orson Welles

10. Woody Allen

Story from the BBC Website here....

:folder:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was knighted too you know. Who is this Spielberg guy???

Sir Alfred J. Hitchcock.

1. Steven Spielberg :|

2. Alfred Hitchcock ;)

3. Martin Scorsese :)

4. Stanley Kubrick :sleepy:

5. Sir Ridley Scott :D

6. Akira Kurosawa :?

7. Peter Jackson :roll:

8. Quentin Tarantino :folder:

9. Orson Welles :)

10. Woody Allen :folder:

I'm too dumb for Kubrick.

Let me rephrase what Alex said- LOL, :mrgreen:, LOL

Spielberg, Hitchcock, Scorsese, Scott, Kurosawa and Welles deserve to be on the list or runner ups for it. Tarantino and Jackson are very good filmmakers, but not enough work behind them to be on the list. Allen's a better writer than director. His films are better than they are directed.

So many directors are obviously missing, but most notably missing are Wilder, Lean and Capra.

I've never seen a Kurosawa film, hence the confused face.

Then you're missing out! Lucas cites Hidden Fortress as one of his primary inspirations for Star Wars. Also, specific details and scraps of dialogue were lifted wholesale from Seven Samurai and Yojimbo. When Obi-Wan takes off the creature's arm in the cantina -- that's Kurosawa. A working knowledge of all the samurai films will deepen your appreciation for the Jedi knights.

Oh yeah, both Seven Samurai and Yojimbo have been remade as westerns (Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars), as has Rashomon (The Outrage). Collectively, these films have become prototypes for dozens of films and television shows.

If you're curious, start with the films of the '50s and '60s. The later stuff is beautiful, but kind of stagnant.

By the way, I don't see Fellini, Bergman, or John Ford on that list -- rather odd when Ridley Scott and Peter Jackson have been included!

Scott would never make a real top ten list, in my opinion. One of my first reactions was also where's DePalma, indeed, but the same goes for him I think. There's Truffaut, Keaton, Eisenstein, Hawks and all.

Or William Wyler, Francis Ford Coppola, Jean Renoir, Luis Bunuel, Satyajit Ray, Carl Dreyer, D.W. Griffith, blah blah blah.

Scott would never make a real top ten list, in my opinion. One of my first reactions was also where's DePalma, indeed, but the same goes for him I think. There's Truffaut, Keaton, Eisenstein, Hawks and all.

What do you mean by a real list? Maybe a list that included your vote? DePalma in a top 10 director's list? LOL With what movie?! LOL

----------------

Alex Cremers

I'd rather see Cameron than Tarantino on there. Jackson's an excellent director, but not among the top 10. Certainly not ever. Perhaps not Cameron either, but he's more deserving than Tarantino, IMO.

I've never seen a Kurosawa film, hence the confused face.

Then you're missing out! Lucas cites Hidden Fortress as one of his primary inspirations for Star Wars. Also, specific details and scraps of dialogue were lifted wholesale from Seven Samurai and Yojimbo. When Obi-Wan takes off the creature's arm in the cantina -- that's Kurosawa. A working knowledge of all the samurai films will deepen your appreciation for the Jedi knights.

Oh yeah, both Seven Samurai and Yojimbo have been remade as westerns (Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars), as has Rashomon (The Outrage). Collectively, these films have become prototypes for dozens of films and television shows.

If you're curious, start with the films of the '50s and '60s. The later stuff is beautiful, but kind of stagnant.

Sounds great! I just hope his films aren't really hard to find.

Problem is that most of them are Criterion releases, and those are just too pricey for a lot of film fans (such as myself).

I'd rather see Cameron than Tarantino on there. Jackson's an excellent director, but not among the top 10. Certainly not ever. Perhaps not Cameron either, but he's more deserving than Tarantino, IMO.

Cameron's aim is not so high, Marc. He makes common popcorn and Schwarzenegger movies. And sometimes he can't even do that properly (remember True lies?). It's almost like saying Emmerich is more deserving than Tarentino. You may not like his films but Tarantino, just like Woody Allen, got himself seperated as a director who leaves a strong and distinctive signature. Tarantino's style stands out and he gets noticed for it. People go see his film, not because of the actors or the subject, but because of Tarantino. He's the star!

Also, most readers of that magazine probably hate Titanic.

----------------

Alex Cremers

No, most readers of that magazine probably think they hate Titanic.

Woody Allen?

Surely someone has to be better than Woody Allen?

Yeah. Woody Woodpecker for starters. I could go on and say Woody from TOY STORY but that would be overstepping my mark a small bit. ANNIE who??

Cameron's aim is not so high, Marc. He makes common popcorn and Schwarzenegger movies. And sometimes he can't even do that properly (remember True lies?). It's almost like saying Emmerich is more deserving than Tarentino. You may not like his films but Tarantino, just like Woody Allen, got himself seperated as a director who leaves a strong and distinctive signature. Tarantino's style stands out and he gets noticed for it. People go see his film, not because of the actors or the subject, but because of Tarantino. He's the star!

I must say I agree with you. I also noted that Cameron may not be top 10 material. But he's definitely one of the best directors in "big movies." I never realized how good he was (as a writer too) until I saw T3. There was just a lot missing.

That's not to say Cameron is one of the most brilliant ever, but he certainly knows what he's doing.

And I do really enjoy Tarantino's films, I just think he gets a bit too much praise from time to time.

What??

No Ron Howard? Robert Zemekis?

Ron Howard is a sporadically great director. IMO, He does the wrong kinds of movies. He should be doing non-gimmicky, character based, ensamble pieces. A brief overview of his films that I've seen, as I recall them:

Cindarella Man may be good despite itself, A Beautiful Mind was very good despite some very big flaws.

The Missing was a terrible movie. As was The Grinch.

EdTV was ok, kinda good at parts.

Ransom had some good stuff despite itself, thanks to Gary Sinise.

Apollo 13 is very, very good. It had it's slow spots, but the human drama was always spot on, and the end is one of the most exciting scenes I've seen. He should thank his lucky stars he cast Ed Harris, he made the movie.

The Paper, which IIRC know Alex seriously dislikes, is in a way one of my favorite movies. Not a great movie, but IMO a very, very good and very, very solid movie, and has a good smart with excellent performances. Michael Keaton's best work, Robert Duvall's best work in the 90's IMO, my favorite Glenn Close performance, my favorite Randy Quaid performance, and a good Randy Newman score.

Far and Away is a painfully terrible movie (which Howard himself admits to).

Parenthood is one of the greatest movies ever, one of the greatest comedies, a brilliant ensamble of actors doing some of the best work of their careers, a very good Randy Newman score.

Willow is a brainless, witless, stupid movie that's offers nothing other than a great Horner theme.

Zemeckis is an often great director, he just hasn't made enough to be near this list yet, IMO. Roger Rabbit and Forrest Gump are among my favorite movies, FG in particular is near my top 20 list (or quite possibly on it). I loved The Polar Express, admired a lot of Contact, loved the BTTF trio a lot. I love Used Cars (which I just rented again today). Must see Cast Away again and What Lies Beneath.

Re: Ron Howard

Well, there seems to be a kind of parallel universe where people regard 'Beautiful Mind' as good movie, but seriously: when Crowe, the supposed MATH PROFESSOR runs around the teaching class with the muscle shirt on, his chest nearly exploding out of it, his bizeps pulsating...well, that's one of those Hollywood moments when i simply laughed out loud during the movie.

Apart from that it teaches me the good 'ole apple pie values of how love conquers all etc....gibberish...it's a chic flick with a twist and James Horner pouring his very own version of 'Unchained Melody' into every frame Jennifer Connely is in.

It's Oscar time, indeed :roll:

Well, there seems to be a kind of parallel universe where people regard 'Beautiful Mind' as good movie, but seriously: when Crowe, the supposed MATH PROFESSOR runs around the teaching class with the muscle shirt on, his chest nearly exploding out of it, his bizeps pulsating...well, that's one of those Hollywood moments when i simply laughed out loud during the movie.

LOL

Apart from that it teaches me the good 'ole apple pie values of how love conquers all etc....gibberish...it's a chic flick with a twist and James Horner pouring his very own version of 'Unchained Melody' into every frame Jennifer Connely is in.

It's Oscar time, indeed :roll:

:)

Morlock- who agrees with a lot of the sentiment of the post (except for the fact that I liked chunks of the movie, and liked Horner's score)

I should perhaps point out that Empire's list was actually of the TOP 20 Directors - the BBC only put the top 10 on their site and Empire's distributors are being very slow this month - a week late in getting the issue out already.....so I have noidea whom those other 10 might be......will update original post as and when I find out.....unless anyone else can help?

:)

What do you mean by a real list? Maybe a list that included your vote? DePalma in a top 10 director's list? LOL With what movie?! LOL

----------------

Alex Cremers

I really don't care about my vote. What I meant is that Jackson and Scott should be nowhere near that list, and however good a director DePalma is, in my opinion, even he shouldn't be on such a list. The whole concept of lists, by the way, is quite ridiculous.

I have found another article that still just gives the top 10, but also says that directors ho didn't make the list at all included Tim Burton, Charlie Chaplin, and......yep.....Mr Lucas!

...and James Horner pouring his very own version of 'Unchained Melody' into every frame Jennifer Connely is in.

Jennifer Connelly was exceptionally hot in that film.

I personally like Howard's Gung Ho, guilty pleasure perhaps, but boy did I like it.

....even if the last 20 minutes of his last released film was some of the worst cinema I've ever seen.

I personally like Howard's Gung Ho, guilty pleasure perhaps, but boy did I like it.

Hey - I thought I was that movie's only fan!!!! I love it! Keaton's finest moment....almost.....

"You make me raugh!"......I howled.....

LOL

Shame the follow-up TV series has never been screened over here....would have liked to have seen some of that....ever caught any of it?