King Kong '05

The first trailer is supposed to be attached to War of the Worlds. I'm looking forward to it.

Should be pretty good, even though Jackson was a nobody in mainstream Hollywood until LotR. Heavenly Creatures was good, but that's pretty much it. I watched a few of video diaries on the main website, which are pretty detailed, but there really isn't much to spoil because it's based on the same exact screenplay as the original. I hope they don't show too much of Kong, because the design of the ape is important, and I don't want to get a clear glance at it yet.

Tim

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to this. I really enjoy the video diaries (much better than the ones on bluetights.net, which show us almost random stuff, but few information of value).

It's the most inexplicable project I know of these days. Who's waiting for this?!! How kiddie can you get? A giant ape, my god!

I just got the John Barry score to the 1976 version. It's fantastic!

I'll have to see what the reviews are like on this new one. I'm surprisingly indifferent about it, which is odd, becuase I love the 1933 film so much.

Neil

It's the most inexplicable project I know of these days. Who's waiting for this?!! How kiddie can you get?

Jar Jar Binks

It is a welcome addition to the pantheon of King Kong movies. Peter Jackson does King Kong. Good enough for me.

I thought Jack Black was going to be the lead, but turns out its that Adrienne guy. Never liked him. Hopefully Jack Black gets some significant screentime.

I hope the ape falling is very entertaining. Or I hope this time he doesn't die at all, but just keeps killing airplanes and wins.

It's the most inexplicable project I know of these days. Who's waiting for this?!! How kiddie can you get?

Jar Jar Binks

Grummmpffff

It's the most inexplicable project I know of these days. Who's waiting for this?!! How kiddie can you get? A giant ape, my god!

I don't know, a man in a batsuit?

Kong at least has the advantage of having not been tried, and failed in the attempt so many times.

Kong at least has the advantage of having not been tried, and failed in the attempt so many times.

That sounds as if there were no King Kong movies....

Unless you mean none has failed to date...

What's kiddie about a psycho in a suit? Really?!

There has only been 1 remake of King Kong Luke, I don't count the japanese movies. The one remake was a hit but a weak film, but not as weak as Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin.

Sure, which director doesn't want to make a King Kong movie for himself? He's getting awfully rich with making those movie for himself.

it's a classic, and so is LOTR.

The book of course. The movie? Maybe but first lets wait some years.

You obviously have no respect at all for the heartblood PJ puts into his films.

Yes i have heard some of his earlier movies were the 'gore' type... *

The way he adapted LOTR was a dream coming true for all the people who knew Tolkien's work from the very beginning, now almost 60 years ago; an he cared for those people, unlike so many other directors out there.

It's great to see the people and places come true, but there are some things changed and omitted and others just invented, that cannot (and didnt) please everyone.

"Kong" is a movie that influenced him in his childhood, so he wants to make an updated version of it.

Like it or not.

OMG he is worse than George Lucas then! He doesnt just change his movies he does it with another's! *

He doesn't care about the mainstream or what kind of films are "in" at the moment, and I love that.

If he'd care for these things, he'd have done The Hobbit as soon as possible.

He CANT make the Hobbit, there are legal issues still to be resolved to make that happen (rights owned by another company i think)

* These comments were jokes ;)

PJ (great long before LOTR already - and Heavenly Creatures is one of the most amazing movies I've seen) back in the horror genre. Shore doing something that's probably much more typical for him than the (great) LOTR (I'm thinking of Shelob's Lair-type music for Kong).

It must be great. :)

Marian - thrilled.

You obviously have no respect at all for the heartblood PJ puts into his films; he doesn't make movies for the $$$, but for himself and the fans.

Maybe, but for the rest of us who were not LOTR fanboys, couldn't speak Elvish and got confused by the continual cutting to random characters (like Liv Tyler and Cate Blanchet) who didn't seem to do much at all, and who think that Tolkien's world is sexist, morally conservative and dull; we found the films poor.

They're remaking a movie nonetheless.

Batman's existence is not limited to movies. And this Batman movie is telling astory that hasn't been told before, contrary to King Kong.

To quote Michael Caine: "I you want to remake a movie, remake a movie that failed, not one that was succesful"

A movie about a giant ape.....THAT is really something we have to see immediately! The excitement! The fear! The Size! While it may have produced a certain, even great curiosity in 1933, i simply fail to see any relevance or importance to our time and age.

It's just that crutch with these commercial successful directors who get millions of $$$ to relieve their childhood fantasies. Godzilla, King Kong, The Mummy...you name it. I sincerely hope that a lot of these overstuffed escapism fantasies really flop, because if not, god may be graceful with us...Hollywood will produce 'King Kong 2' then...or wait! 'Mighty Joe Young 2'! 'Congo 2'! 'Planet of the Apes...10'! At the end of this cycle, we surely have reached a cultural primate stage again.

To quote Michael Caine: "I you want to remake a movie, remake a movie that failed, not one that was succesful"

"There is a wilful lemming-like persistance in remaking past successes time after time. They can't make them as good as they are in our memories, but they go on doing them and each time it's a disaster. Why don't we remake some of our bad pictures - I'd love another shot at 'Roots of Heaven' - and make them good?" John Huston on remakes

I personaly don't see how this movie will possibly be good. But I've been surprised before by a film. I personaly am far more interested by Shore's score to A History of Violence than this big monkey movie.

A movie about a giant ape.....THAT is really something we have to see immediately! The excitement! The fear! The Size! While it may have produced a certain, even great curiosity in 1933, i simply fail to see any relevance or importance to our time and age.  

It's just that crutch with these commercial successful directors who get millions of $$$ to relieve their childhood fantasies. Godzilla, King Kong, The Mummy...you name it. I sincerely hope that a lot of these overstuffed escapism fantasies really flop, because if not, god may be graceful with us...Hollywood will produce 'King Kong 2' then...or wait! 'Mighty Joe Young 2'! 'Congo 2'! 'Planet of the Apes...10'! At the end of this cycle, we surely have reached a cultural primate stage again.

Didn't you hear? They're shooting King Kong 2: Son of Kong and King Kong 3 back to back next year. It'll have Son of Kong fighting Nazi's with giant machine guns attached to his shoulders.

:)

No no, you misread...the title of the second Kong feature is "KING KONG and the OPAL OF THE MER-MAN PRINCE " and has Kong as Dr. Jones' adopted son fighting Nazis.

Oh and Jesse, I don't think Kong is going to win in this version...they said, before Fay Wray died, that Jackson wanted her to deliver the final line about beauty killing the beast. So I would think there is no "from behind" victory in store for Kong (poor guy).

Tim

I have to confess, a Kong with giant Uzi's, fighting Nazis is something i would watch in a nanosecond :(

It has just the right trash taste...kind of 'Alien vs. Predator'