Star Wars Prequel Music Resource

Henry B

Ah sorry you weren't ambiguous, but I just thought that perhaps you'd done disc 1 first and now had done disc 2 and that there might be other changes in sequencing :folder: My mistake, sorry.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currious Cerrabore, I'm noticing that your list is neglecting a lot of the alternaternates. I knowyou're not an alternate kind of person, but there are extensive percussive alternates in Episode III that I feel warrent inclusion.

I mean, "Battle over Coruscant" has the album version which differes entirely from the film version both percussive and note wise, not to mention the alternate ending used in the film, "The Elevator Scene" has alternate percussion, "It Can't Be II" I believe would be the title under your titles has both the album version and the film extra percussion.

I was just curious if you planned to include them, if you'd maybe not noticed, or if perhaps you'd purposely left them out.

I purposely left them out. I pretty much detest the film's percussive mixes, and can't imagine that Williams himself was responsible for them. The album suggests that only "They're Coming Around" was supposed to have booming taiko drums underscore it (though they feature slightly in other tracks).

I don't personally agree. I feel that "It Can't Be II" is pretty empty without the percussion.

And on top of that, It's art. Many things are changed in the process of finalizing it. It's just another layer...another option...

to each his own though...

That's what Cerrbore calls the track if I'm understanding his layout correctly.

"It Can't Be II" ...

It's the moment when the choir joins in during Palpatines speach to the Senate. The album doesn't have the percussion.

"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause."

Album track 10, Anakins Dark Deeds. There is extra percussion in the film (and clean versions found in the game rips.)

Can anyone verify a click in OST t15 3:57.9061? I've added a "click removal" instruction.

"It Can't Be" title discrepancy fixed. I was going by my own edit, rather than the "official" track list, in which I combined "Anakin's Dark Deeds" with "It Can't Be," and forgot to type the track list accordingly.

Can anyone verify a click in OST t15 3:57.9061? I've added a "click removal" instruction.

"It Can't Be" title discrepancy fixed. I was going by my own edit, rather than the "official" track list, in which I combined "Anakin's Dark Deeds" with "It Can't Be," and forgot to type the track list accordingly.

There's no click on my rip from my CD or on the CD itself. You could try cleaning your CD and seeing if that helps. If doesn't work let me know on AIM and I'll gladly send you the track. I've got it saved as wav on my hard drive.

Could anybody check this trailer for empire at war Expansion?

It has orchestral music (It seems) that is not released nor used if it is from SW movies. Though it resembles LOTR so it may be just from there.

here: http://www.starwars.com/gaming/videogames/...foctrailer.html

Well considering Frank Klepacki did the original music for Empire At War the "unreleased" part sounds like his music since it sounds synth. The rest of the music we have from the OST's. Frank never had any of the complete scores from all 3 Prequels just the current music since the company that is doing everything regarding Empire At War is not LucasArts even though LucasArts is releasing the game. Hope that helps.

8O

Indeed. Why wouldn't you use JW music for a Star Wars game? It would be much easier than composing a completely new score for the game.

There wasn't a completely new score. He only composed like 10 tracks meant to augment what wasn't really available.

There are mostly just battle cues to augment the film scores. Plus a theme, prebattle music, and victory music....

I mean, without a few tracks, playing the game would be annoying because you'd head the same stuff over and over again all the time...

But just hearing the Death Star Motif when you finish building one is priceless :(

Frank never had any of the complete scores from all 3 Prequels just the current music since the company that is doing everything regarding Empire At War is not LucasArts even though LucasArts is releasing the game.

Both games to implement most unreleased music (TPM videogame and Battlefront II) were developed by Big Ape and Pandemic Studios respectively...

There is no unreleased music in any of the Empire At War stuff. Trust me. I emailed Frank about it once and he told me that all he had to work with was the OST's of all 3 Prequels, the UE for TPM and the Original Trilogy 2-CD sets (and possibly the Anthology set) and then of course his own music.

There is no unreleased music in any of the Empire At War stuff.  Trust me.  I emailed Frank about it once and he told me that all he had to work with was the OST's of all 3 Prequels, the UE for TPM and the Original Trilogy 2-CD sets (and possibly the Anthology set) and then of course his own music.

I know, been playing the game for two weeks right now...

I just wanted to know where that music from the trailer comes from.

A trailer possibly made by Lucasarts, no petroglyph .

Well maybe the expansion has an orchestral original score....

I was wondering, has anybody tried to rip the music from the first Lego Star Wars game, cause I noticed some music for AOTC was in the game?

ROTS uses music from ROTJ mostly, none from it's own score.

As far as I could tell there's nothing unreleased. All music seems to be from the CDs.

I wished the Jedi Knight games had used original music, like the first Dark Forces. Don't get me wrong, I love the music from the movies, but it seems like they used the same four or five cues over and over for the Jedi Knight games. And part of the charm of the first Dark Forces was the fact that it had an original score, which while it quoted liberally from the music from the original trilogy, it also had original music, and original themes and motifs. That's part of what made it feel like I was actually in a Star Wars movie when I played it for the first time. Especially when the music reacted to what was going on in the game. Just like the music in a movie. The only game that's even come close to that level of authenticity since then was Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. Note that the scores for both games were composed by Clint Bajakian. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Sadly that's all music we have and not anything new. It should be up on the site. Look on the editing instructions on the first page of this post... it'll say what file it is. Thanks for the heads upthough...

Although "Be Carefull of Yourfriend" isn't fully released... but the dvd rip is cleaner...

Well, not new, but good news anyway.

I think we can assume now that the piece as is in Battlefront II and the 'Obi wan force leap' from Galaxies are parts of the same cue without any noticeable notes lost.

It is posible that we have the complete Battle Over Coruscant then.

Actually there are still pieces missing...

The part we heard in the film we do not have (minus the music that plays when Obi-Wan jumps out of his fighter), and there is probably another 10 to 15 seconds of music besides that, that we don't have for "Get 'Em, R-2!"

I still wonder about that music.

I think it was an alternate ending for that cue. If you look at the cues as heard on the album vs. in the film, they are separate performances and orchestrated quite differently.

I think that it's an alternate ending or a missing segment.

The film Version has a different Obi wan leap yes.

But i think we have the Complete 'alternate' from the Videogames.

I mean we are missing some music from that scene the movie, BUT we may have a complete alterante so we could say we have the whole battle... Very coincidentical that they used the two unreleased cues we had from videogames, for the same scene and mixed together.

More things:

I'm really starting to believe that the wardrums (mixed with the music as in BFII files, not just isolated) were competely intended. There are so many Boom-Tzzz, and Boom Boom-Tzzz to be coincidences.... And in the movie, i can hear the diference between the Isolated War drums and the 'force military theme wardrums', I think the later are part of the actual cue.

I agree... there are still hints of the drums presence even in the album... but very much removed from the mix. They're more distant...

If you listen, that percussive beat is present...so I have no doubt that it was meant... I think they simply put the track in the film as it was intended, but tracked out the opening and left just the drums until the ships fly by and then mixed everything back in, keeping the drums high in the mix.

And like I was saying, they are two different performances... It's not like they took the album version and then layered the boomboom under it... They are genuinely two different performances...

Not to mention how many cues in the film have an alternate percussive track... it would be insande to think they called in some people to record solo timpani and taiko drums just to layer them underneath...

Think of "Anakin's Dark Deeds".... comparing the film and the Album... that percussion beat in the film is amazing...I don't think someone else wrote it...

Not to mention how many cues in the film have an alternate percussive track... it would be insande to think they called in some people to record solo timpani and taiko drums just to layer them underneath...

It sounds... completely reasonable to me.

It sounds... completely reasonable to me.

As long as Williams called the drums players, its reasonable enough.

But yes goodmusician i also had noticed the lowkey background wardrums in boys into battle OST.

Williams did have the taiko drums recorded separately, but there's no reason to think they weren't intended to be heard as on the OST - soft in "Boys into Battle," loud in "They're Coming Around." The added percussion in "Anakin's Dark Deeds"? Could just be synthesized timpani plus the taiko drums.

Not to be a bitch, but what does it matter...

No matter what any of us think, it's conjecture. I'm gonna play it safe and have both versions. And why not. I personally like the "Anakin's Dark Deeds" in the film more than the other,.... the drums are so monstorious that over the scary strings, the sound is simply frightening and moving... you feel like you're being pulled in a direction you can't fight.

So anyways...like I said, i'm including it... I don't think we can prove what it is eaither way unless someone comes out with it...

And it's obvious that they had access to the masters in the video games... if it were something added specifically for the film, that wouldn't be on the masters...and they wouldn't have been able to include those versions in the game...

But anyways...

Knowing how these things tend to happen, I would guess the following -

As soon as the score was recorded back in Feb '05, it is not unreasonable to assume rough stereo mixes were made to get to the team editing the movie in their avids. It is also not unreasonable to suggest that copies of these mixes were also made available to the crew at LucasArts.

Meanwhile, the stems were taken by Ken Wannberg and his team and prepped for the film mix. One set of stems was probably conformed for the film mix, while a second Pro-Tools session using the same stems was conformed for the CD mix, which I would assume JW had more input on that the film mix especially in terms of balance of the various instruments against each other volume wise. The reason for the second PT session is that any edits (trims, loops, swaps, etc) made during the dub of the film would not be reflected in the CD session, allowing Ken and his peeps to start from scratch (editorially) assembling the cd.

This might come off as a dumb question but who ripped the 'Reel 4 Deconstruction?' and where did they get it from?

And does anyone else notice how extensively edited that track is...

It's how it is in the film... not how it was recorded at ALL...

It's from a feature that was put up on StarWars.com's Hyperspace section. I don't know if you have the whole thing or just the music part, but the whole clip plays the music, the sound FX, and the dialogue all separately. It wasn't from a video, just a plain MP3.