Themes

HPFAN_2

Which Williams theme do you think match the character or movie it's based on the best. For me it would have to be a tie between Fawkes the Phoenix and Hedwig's Theme. Fawkes is so beautiful and sweeping. It sums up Dumbledore and Fawkes so well that it's scary. The music seems to be written to the baby Phoenix rising from the ashes and taking flight once more in glory and triumph.

Hedwig's Theme captures Harry Potter the best. Because of this it seems to me like Williams scored the books not the Movies, Hedwig's theme and the Harry Potter series are bound together, that theme represents all things Harry Potter so well!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the famous Motif from Close Encounters ;)

The Emperors Theme from the Star Wars movies, is good :)

But Superman must win this competition, along with Jaws.

I was thinking of the Emperor's Theme too. But nothing comes close to Superman.

Jaws is in a league of its own, because it's almost been a genre signature for 30 years now (although in all fairness, describing every two-note threatening motif as a rip-off/homage to Jaws may go a bit far).

(although in all fairness, describing every two-note threatening motif as a rip-off/homage to Jaws may go a bit far).

No, it doesn't. Unless JW's doing it (he had a very effective, totaly un-Jaws two note motif in JFK).

My number one would have to be the Superman Theme. But, since it hasn't been said yet, I also think Parade of the Ewoks is up there as one of the best. (Everyone go ahead and stone me.)

Raiders March anyone? Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet.

John- who thinks it would be easier and shorter to list Williams themes that didn't fit the character or movie. ;)

Raiders March anyone? Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet.

John- who thinks it would be easier and shorter to list Williams themes that didn't fit the character or movie.  :)

I'm going to do that after this. Unless someone does it before me. Don't you dare! ;)

Luke's theme for Luke... but Leia's theme for Leia? No way! I think that is the weakest thing about the Star Wars score, though that's not saying much.

Shmi's theme. Boba Fett's theme. The Smallville theme. The Krypton theme. The Mountain theme from CE3K. Willie's theme from ToD. For that matter...Short Round's theme. The Grail theme. The Force theme (midiclorians are characters too!). Harry and Marv's theme. Dracula's theme.

The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)

The Raiders March

Ben's Theme (aka The Force Theme)

Theme from Jaws

It's extremely hard to narrow down though, especially as Williams is the MASTER of themes and their associations with characters.

"Somewhere in My Memory" is definitely up there, representing (and elevating) the sentimental side of the film, and the holiday season itself, perfectly.

Ray Barnsbury