So Williams will be doing 4 pictures this year???

Josh500

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure seems that way. Though I still have a feeling Geisha might not materialize (though he's quite possibly working on it right now).

I love it when Spielberg has one of his "work spurts"!!! Then, inevitably, JW has to keep up and has a work spurt, as well!!!

LOL

If Geisha materializes, I hope it surpasses Seven Years In Tibet. In fact, I hope it will be light-years away from that score. I am not familiar with the story but I hope it will be something smaller in scope, something more intimate, with beautiful Eastern influences.

----------------

Alex Cremers

But work spurts mean dry spurts as well. 2002 was a spurt, followed by the void that was 2003.

That's okay, though (if it's only a year). Then the score which comes after will be a humdinger (like PoA).

If Geisha materializes, I hope it surpasses Seven Years In Tibet. In fact, I hope it will be light-years away from that score. I am not familiar with the story but I hope it will be something smaller in scope, something more intimate, with beautiful Eastern influences.

----------------

Alex Cremers

What are you talking about? The score to Seven Years In Tibet was fantastic!!! But I think Geisha will be more in the tradition of Angela's Ashes, only with Eastern influences.

The score to Seven Years In Tibet was fantastic!!!

Same here. I like Seven Years In Tibet Theme.

'Seven Years in Tibet' is something Williams can come up with each day of the year. That's what's wrong with it, nothing else.

'Seven Years in Tibet' is something Williams can come up with each day of the year. That's what's wrong with it, nothing else.

So you mean it's a masterpiece??? I agree. LOL

I'm not a huge Tibet fan, I only really listen to the main theme when I put in the soundtrack (wouldn't mind people pointing out their own favorite sections, while on the subject). I don't see how Williams will be able to do something very different from that, aside from the fact that I know he will. But I still hear a beautiful main theme for a solo cello.

So you mean it's a masterpiece??? I agree. LOL

IIRC, Alex doesn't think any JW Score has been a master piece for at least a decade, possibly not since Empire of The Sun.

I personaly think, on average, something like 1 in 3 of his scores are masterpieces. And those that aren't masterpieces, almsot invariably have individual themes or cues that I would concider among the best ever (Unless it's a particulaly big cue, I wouldn't call an individual cue a masterpiece).

I know I kinda freaked over WOTW in the past, but I think Vengeance is very likely NOT going to be scored by Williams.

Memoirs and Vengeance have THE SAME RELEASE DATE! Both films will be released during the same weekend; on the SAME day.

It almost never happens than ONE composer scores two films released on the same day. Looking at the "2-scores-a-year" average of Williams I don't think he is really up to that.

I hope he "chooses" Geisha. Seven Years In Tibet had a AMAZING theme and I can only dream what magic Williams has in store for this film. I read the book and the possibilties for dramatic writing are endless.

Still; I really, really hope Williams will score Vengeance as well. Would be a great year!

I personaly think, on average, something like 1 in 3 of his scores are masterpieces.

That robs the word "masterpiece" of all meaning.

Neil

For all we know, Williams could be scoring Geisha right now. Shooting wrapped months ago, and he's been done WOTW for a month or so and will have plenty of time to score Geisha before Spielberg is finished shooting the Munich film.

Ted

Who cares! There is no Harry Potter!!!!!!! 8O

HPFAN_2 _ Who is still angry about this. And will be till the DAY HE DIES!!!!!!!!!!

HPFAN_2 _ Who is still angry about this. And will be till the DAY HE DIES!!!!!!!!!!

Trust me, you won't. Someday you'll be looking back at the Potter periode in your life with other eyes. Then you will smile and shake your head.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I personaly think, on average, something like 1 in 3 of his scores are masterpieces.

Neil

Not when I say that about only one artist in the history of the race.

Trust me, you won't. Someday you'll be looking back at the Potter periode in your life with other eyes. Then you will smile and shake your head.

----------------

Alex Cremers

It's true, but why disillusion the kid? Part of the fun is knowing for an absolute certainty that it'll never end, and planning the rest of your life around it!

Morlock- who smiles and shakes his head every single time he's remembered of his Dallas fanhood days.

I still think JW will do BOTH Geisha and Munich. They're both movies, IMO, that don't require much music like, say, Star Wars. So it IS possible. 8O

Neil

That actually cheapens it and makes it worse.

Neil

Neil

That actually cheapens it and makes it worse.

Neil

Theoretically, maybe. But then I just look at the scores and can't help it. I find something like a third of JW's work (at least since the 70's) to be as good as the best film music ever written. Again, theoretically, I'd agree with you. But looking at the scores disproves that theory to me.

It's true

No it's not.

Well, I think it is.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Do you smile and shake your head when you listen to your E.T. c.d.?

I also wish Williams would continue the Potter films.That would make for a much better c.d. album than WotW,Geisha or Vengence.

K.M.

E.T. is a movie and a CD (well, 3 CD, but still). Harry Potter is (so far) six books, three movies, three CDs, and endless accessories to each of these items. I believe what Alex was talking about is some sort of phenominon, or franchise, that is a major factor in your life for several months or years. Even though it's very possible you'll still love the phenominon/movies/series/scores, one looks back on that period of his/her life and laughs at himself for taking it as seriously as he did.

Hey, I still love J.R.

A very vague rumour, based on someone doing what the dead paratrooper did based on misguided assumptions.

Do you smile and shake your head when you listen to your  E.T. c.d.?

I never treated E.T. as the object of worship. I just saw it as a great movie and moved on. I'm sure that Potter is something you outgrow after a while. Enjoy it while it lasts. Now ... where's that eject button ... Ah! There it is! It's been nice talking to you, king marc. Wheeeeeeee!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Joe, have you grown out of liking Harry Potter in general?

If Williams has to choose, he will do Vengeance, but I am 100% sure he will do both films. We really underestimate what he's capable of with his time. Like others have said, he could very well be working on Giesha right now.

~Sturgis

Personally, I won't look back on my Harry Potter days and laugh any more than I'll look back on my film music days and laugh. I certainly don't worship either; they're just interests that I hold very dearly. Sadly, I'm not surprised to see the arrogance and pretension displayed in this thread toward HPFan. Anyways....

I'm pretty excited for Williams' upcoming "season." I expect a more lush and thematic score for Geisha, and I don't really know what to expect for Vengeance. I know nothing about the subject matter or film, but it'll be intriguing to find out more as it comes along.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm already looking back on my Potter days and laughing. The excitement and love of the first two films... Only to be sorely disappointed but still trying desperately to love them. Then the day I realize I didn't like them. Oh well, there's always the books.

Except I'm reading parts in OotP and shaking my head, saying "What was she thinking?". I mean "Big D"? "That's not cheek, Dud, that's true"? Since when did Harry become such a loser? I'll put it down to hormones. And the whole Cedric thing. It's probably intentionally flat humour, but I still don't like it.

Oh, okay. But what I said about the movies still stands.

About what I said about OoTP; I think it's an excellent book, but there are parts that I reread and think "I laughed at these jokes?!" I think it was just a bit of a let down. I'm looking forward to H-BP though.

We've seen before if Williams has to choose between another project and Spielberg, he'll take Spielberg every time.

The thing is, in this case, even if he doesn't choose Spielberg, it's still Spielberg -- for Spielberg's executive producing Geisha. But it's a moot point anyway, since Williams is doing both.

;)

I know I kinda freaked over WOTW in the past, but I think Vengeance is very likely NOT going to be scored by Williams.  

Memoirs and Vengeance have THE SAME RELEASE DATE! Both films will be released during the same weekend; on the SAME day.  

It almost never happens than ONE composer scores two films released on the same day. Looking at the "2-scores-a-year" average of Williams I don't think he is really up to that.

+

If there's someone who still has doubts...  

Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency website actually confirms that John Williams will score Spielberg's 1972 Olympics/Mossad historical thriller.  

So, we can finally put those non-sense Zimmer rumors to an end... :mrgreen:

=

WOLF....WOLF!!!

Joe, have you grown out of liking Harry Potter in general?

If Williams has to choose, he will do Vengeance, but I am 100% sure he will do both films.  We really underestimate what he's capable of with his time.  Like others have said, he could very well be working on Giesha right now.

~Sturgis

No, I have not, I love the books, and love one movie, like one alot, and like one ok.

all this stuff about Vengence and Memoirs is so laughable,

Memoirs should be recorded sometime in late Sept,

Vengence in the middle of November, that is plenty of time for Williams to do both, and the release date on Vengence is as likely to change as is that title.