John Williams and Classical Music

MSM

Since there apparantly can't be enough threads about Williams and plagiarism from classical composers, I thought I'd just start another one.

Do you think Williams is influenced by classical composers? Please give examples, like: the Jaws Theme seems to be coming from Dvorak 9th Symphony.

Have fun :)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron Copland's RODEO vs John Williams' THE COWBOYS Overture.

Bela Bartok's CONCERTO FOR ORCHESTRA, PERCUSSION and CELESTE vs John Williams' "Approaching the Death Star" from ROTJ.

Stravinsky's THE RITE OF SPRING vs. Jerry Goldsmith's entire score for THE OMEN. That's enough comparisons, Hitch

Well, not counting Holst "Mars" (to be faced with "Rebel Blockade Runner" from Star Wars), the only "big" and clear borrowing I am aware of, is from Prokofiev. Take a listen to the second movement of the Suite Scythe (it is called "Le dieu ennemi et la danse des esprits noirs")... I don't even need to tell you where Williams "quoted" the theme!!

the Holliday Flight music from Home Alone reminds me of some classical piece.

K.M.

Tchiakovsky's Nutcracker Suite (Trepak) is the one you are thinking of I believe. :)

the Holliday Flight music from Home Alone reminds me of some classical piece.

K.M.

Russian Dance from Nucracker Suite by Tschaikovsky

Well, not counting Holst "Mars" (to be faced with "Rebel Blockade Runner" from Star Wars), the only "big" and clear borrowing I am aware of, is from Prokofiev. Take a listen to the second movement of the Suite Scythe (it is called "Le dieu ennemi et la danse des esprits noirs")... I don't even need to tell you where Williams "quoted" the theme!!

That score is awesome. Do you have a copy of Scythian Suite? Could scan it for me?

When I listened to Sibelius' Violin concerto, I was very surprised by the three opening notes. I immediately had a piece of Williams music in my head, but it took me months to figure out it was the opening of the music for the flight to Bespin.

Marian - who was very annoyed during the months he didn't know. :)

;) The Hallelujah Trail (Elmer Bernstein)

Superman Love Theme: Richard Strauss's Tod und Verklärung (meant as an homage)

Darth Vader's Death: Borrows a passage from Bruckner's 9th Symphony, last movement

and Marian, I thought exactly that last I heard it too

You know, I still haven't found that Bruckner thing in ROTJ... and I'm the local Bruckner fanatic. ;)

Marian - who has found some Bruckner references in Goldsmith's scores.

:angry: Marnie (Bernard Herrmann)

I really think Williams listened to a Strauss record before composing Superman, considering that "The Planet Krypton" bears a resemblance to "Also Sprach Zarathustra", which makes total sense when you read what inspired that piece.

And then of course there is the "Death and Transfiguration" reference in the love theme. I think there is more to this than a mere coincidence.

Neil

I really think Williams listened to a Strauss record before composing Superman, considering that "The Planet Krypton" bears a resemblance to "Also Sprach Zarathustra", which makes total sense when you read what inspired that piece.

And then of course there is the "Death and Transfiguration" reference in the love theme.  I think there is more to this than a mere coincidence.

Neil

Death and Transfiguration = Tod und Verklärung

You know, I still haven't found that Bruckner thing in ROTJ... and I'm the local Bruckner fanatic. ;)

Marian - who has found some Bruckner references in Goldsmith's scores.

:angry: Marnie (Bernard Herrmann)

first two bars of the last movement, the upbeat isn't the same interval as the one Williams use in Vader's death, also Williams goes up on an extra note but the rest is identical until Bruckner fills in with that chord and the strings start sweeping away in a Brucknerish melody...

It's pretty much the same idea anyway, and it isn't that far fetched, considering how much of Bruckner's music is deeply serious and even tragic some times