Decent DVD Featurettes On Film Scores

APBez

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a few decent DVD featurettes that highlight the work of the film composers.

Obviously, the E.T. extras feature JW a lot and the LOTR DVDs give a good deal of time to Howard Shore's scoring.

Which, in your opinion, are the best? They may or may not cover JW's work.

Thanks,

APBez

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may want to seek out "The Making of the Music" on Slingshot Entertainment's "Jane Goodall's Wild Chimpanzees". There's lots of time spent both in Johnny Clegg's South African studio and on the scoring stage recording the orchestral score with composer Amin Bhatia. It's a brief but enlightening look into the creation of the songs (by Clegg) and the score (by Bhatia) and how the final IMAX film was a bonafide collaboration between the two.

Patton(2 Disc edition) has a lenghty Goldsmith interview (or so I have heard) on the Extras Disc.

Gabriel Yared on THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY is pretty good and let's not forget Jerry Goldsmith's DVD featuring the scoring sessions from THE RIVER WILD.

I think the Edward Scissorhands DVD has an entire commentary by just Elfman, or Elfman and Burton.

~Sturgis

In that case - you can also count The Matrix and I, Robot (and some others that I can't remember right now).

ALIEN QUADRILOGY (as well as two-disc editions of every movie) has really good and pretty large segments about every Alien score with interesting and honest interviews.

Flesh + Blood only featurette dedicated to Basil Poledouris score.

There are Goldsmith and Poledouris commentaries on Hollow Man and Starship Troopers interspaced within isolated scores.

The Star Trek 2 disc sets to include TMP, Wrath Of Khan, The Undiscovered Country and First Contact have segments with the composer including a touching tribute to Goldsmith on the FC set.

Can't remember if the other ST films have any composer segments.

Episode 1 has some decent moments with Williams, 1941 has the isolated score plus a few videos of Williams conducting the score. Actually most of Spielberg's DVD's have interviews with Williams.

ALIEN QUADRILOGY (as well as two-disc editions of every movie) has really good and pretty large segments about every Alien score with interesting and honest interviews.

What do they say about "Aliens," the one with the most tempestuous history?

Jeff -- who only has the single-disc "Aliens"

Horner talks about how pressed for time they were on that and how lacking the facilities were when he went to record it. He mentions how they (the facilites and the engineer) were good for Williams and his score to Star Wars but not for his music, whatever the hell that means.

He and Gale Anne Hurd also praise his big climatic cue...........which was dropped from the film and tracked with "Bishop's Countdown".

ALIEN also has a very interesting story with music being tracked and dropped and replaced. We hear Jerry's side of it and and editor Terry Rawlings' perspective as well.

Neil

Danny Elfman on PLANET OF THE APES (2000). Elliot Goldenthal on TITUS and FRIDA was very good as well. Don't forget Bennie in THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH ABOUT TORN CURTAIN.

We hear Jerry's side of it and and editor Terry Rawlings' perspective as well.

Neil

Yay Jerry!

BOOOOO Terry!

Stubborn as mules the two of them.

Hitch, who held a banner at Jerry in the Albert Hall stating WHY?

Jerry had that brat Damien burn that banner off chin 5. Can't you remember? That's why I replaced it quickly with WHY?

He and Gale Anne Hurd also praise his big climatic cue...........which was dropped from the film and tracked with "Bishop's Countdown".

I'm assuming you're talking about the music that was put into the end of "Die Hard." If so, I think "Bishop's Countdown" was a better choice.

And ...

I rented "Pleasantville" yesterday and went through the menu options. On there is an isolated score with commentary by Randy Newman. After I watched the movie (it's good until the final 15 minutes) I turned on Randy's commentary, which I enjoyed to a point. He makes comments about each cue after you hear them and also talks about his contemporaries (particularly Horner, Goldsmith and Williams) and his uncle Alfred. He often rambles, but it's good for film score enthusiasts, not so much for people who don't know the business (he never says Goldsmith's or Horner's first names).

Are you on crack!

Are you emphasizing that I am on crack or asking if I am on crack?

The answer is no in either case. I didn't like the fact that so many cues were butchered in the film, but this one worked.

I played the CD along with the movie, and maybe it's because I've heard "Bishop's Countdown" associated with that scene so much, but I like that music better. It has more of an urgency.

And I have not ingested any illegal substances today or any other day in my life.

Jeff -- possibly a Quaker in a former life

My only criticisms of that are how much it focuses on the soloists and Annie Lennox, who to be honest I don't really care much about and would rather hear more about the score itself.

*Note to self* read above post twice before replying.

I'll have to try & find that one sometime because I didn't consider it worth the exorbitant price.

I was thinking the other day to try and look for a list such as this.

Anyway, as I was perusing the DVDs that my family had rented last weekend I stumbled across a crappy chick flick. First Daughter. I'm glad I did though as, surprisingly, it contains a short featurette with Blake Neely talking about Michael Kamen. For those who don't know, it was during his work on this particular film that Mr. Kamen passed away. It was sort of interesting and I really wasn't expecting a bonus featurette like that on such a DVD.

Also, the Williams bits in the JAWS "Making of" doco and also the short featurette on JAWS 2.