Williams wins World Soundtrack award for WotW!

batmanand

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooray!! :D

That score deserves all the recognition. It is effective and powerful. I am happy for Williams. One new award to his résumé :)

BTW You can never have too many Oscars! :)

Yes, he wrote a letter which was being read by a personal acquaintance or representative at the concert. He joked that he couldn't be there because, as last year, Steven Spielberg tied his hands to the piano, or something like that.

This year's awards were surprising because they actually kind of got it right this time, for the first time. Badalamenti won the Best Composer award, and Giacchino won the award for new talent or something. Normally, the composer who wins is someone who is actually present at the 'ceremony' or could be there the next year. Nevertheless, the word 'WorldSoundtrackAwards' remains hilarious as ever.

And Vangelis won "World Soundtrack Award" in the public's choice category for his score for "Alexander". The award was based on the public's vote at the WSA web site over the summer.

So what you want about Vangelis, but his following outside of America rivals that of JW, and is proven by this award.

I'm very glad JW won for WOTW. A fine soundtrack that deserves it.

I must be one of the few who liked the movie, but the Alexander score is embarassingly bad in parts.

Some parts were really indistinguishable from amateur works. Really, really bad. However; some parts were also really good (most notably Titans) and when the score is good, it IS good. On a whole; give me Alex North or Alexander Courage instead.

Actually, Titans is one of those tracks I call embarringly bad. On the other hand, a track like Charge has a tremendous impact on the scene (it's actually the very best scene of the movie, and Stone mentions the music very prominiently in the audio commentary).

I like Titans especially in combination with the second track Young Alexander; I edited the two pieces together (actually 3 - also the opening track) and they make a wonderful cue.