AOTC Oscar nods

Pelzter

If the Academy is kind:

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE (damn, am I ever gonna be pissed, if this does not happen)

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

BEST SOUND

BEST SOUND EFFECTS EDITING

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

BEST FILM EDITING

(BEST COSTUME DESIGN)

If it is not (just as likely):

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

BEST SOUND

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

earlier this year I posted a thread that John could end up with 4 oscar nods for best original score banghead

what was I thinking. I don't feel the academy would be unkind by not nominating AOTC for best score, I think it would be justified not to.

Minority Report is good but not worthy either.

Harry Potter wont be since it is a collaboration.

Catch Me If You Can, hardly inspires thoughts of a superior score either.

Yes, TPM got snubbed for all nominations including FX which makes no sense to me. banghead

I expect AOTC to get the same treatment, but it deserves nominations for FX, sound, sound editing, art & costume design.

Johny will not get nominated. He was nominated, but didn't win for Empire! How can Empire lose to, what was it Chariots of Fire?

I think there is a big "oh, its a sequel - he's done that music before" attitude.

Stefancos- who thinks that score does not hold up well after many listens.

:lol2:

Justin -Who thinks AOTC is one of JW's most impressive scores in the last 5 years.

I agree. His score, not what's heard in the film, is amazing, and I found it to be way better than TPM. Probably his best, in my opinion, since Last Crusade.

I bet AOTC will be nominated for a lot of stuff but it won't win. I'm sure the next Lord of the Rings will beat it.

Visual Effects, sound and sound editing are sure things. Costuem design, art direction and score would be ver deserved nominations, IMHO.

I really really love the score to AOTC.

But I'm afraid the academy won't give it any oscars, although it is clearly the best movie so far in some categories.

The sad truth is, AOTC will get absolutley nothing, just like TPM. The movie will get nothing because I think Hollywood hates Lucas (which is a big reason that I love Lucas). And JW will never win another Oscar, not because he doesn't deserve it, but because he's been nominated so many times that people just assume that he's won a lot, which he really hasn't. I guess he's a victim of his own success in that regard.

John- who think AOTC is more than worthy of the name Star Wars. Enough said.

Johny will not get nominated. He was nominated, but didn't win for Empire! How can Empire lose to, what was it Chariots of Fire?

Fame, a pop musical :cry:

Morn - Who thinks AOTC should win best score

UCFKevin, how did you hear the music not used in the film?!

And maybe if they make apromo for AOTC for Acadamy members, it will be the original score and we will finally get to hear waht Williams had intended.

Stefancos- who thinks that score does not hold up well after many listens.

Justin -Who thinks AOTC is one of JW's most impressive scores in the last 5 years.

:mrgreen:

I for one no longer give a damn what the Acadamy does. Awarding Titanic Best Picture was ridiculous. Then snubbing TPM for technical awards when it completely rewrote the book on effects and production was the last straw. They can do what they want, I don't care.

I see this was used alot, let me just save everyone the trouble:

banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead banghead

I for one no longer give a damn what the Acadamy does.  Awarding Titanic Best Picture was ridiculous.  Then snubbing TPM for technical awards when it completely rewrote the book on effects and production was the last straw.  They can do what they want, I don't care.

Amen, brother. :thumbup:

Then snubbing TPM for technical awards when it completely rewrote the book on effects and production was the last straw.

Sorry but I disagree. The Matrix deserved those oscars. With The Matrix they created an ENTIRELY NEW kind of visual effect with "Bullet Time" on a much more limited budget than TPM had. TPM didn't bring anything new to the table it just had wall to wall effects. :thumbup:

Sorry but I disagree. The Matrix deserved those oscars. With The Matrix they created an ENTIRELY NEW kind of visual effect with "Bullet Time" on a much more limited budget than TPM had. TPM didn't bring anything new to the table it just had wall to wall effects. :thumbup:

Not really. That technique was used before the Matrix, in several commercials and other places. Even the FX crew from the Matrix said they were unhappy with a lot of what they did. Look at their morphing FX, bad... TPM got ROBBED for effects. I didn't exactly LOVE that movie, but the leaps George's folks made to create the film were incredible.

I think that unless some other movie INNOVATES, AOTC needs to win the oscar for effects. I thought that that is what the academy (supposedly) does. Reward for quality and innovation. By giving the awards in this manner, it pushes the envelope, and dares the rest of the industry to keep moving forward.

t's quality and quantity vs originality

Exactly!! Thats why TPM (nor any future Lucas releases I suspect) never saw any oscars. :thumbup:

SORRY. TMP, AOC and EPIII WILL NOT Win any oscars BECAUSE Hollywood doesnt like lucas, and lucas doesn like hollywood. No more no less. AOC special effects are near perfection, and TPM was too back in 1999. Did FOTR had any originality? NO (the effects were even leess impressing than TPM) and it won. WHY? AOC Kicks FOTR ass very hard.

(and well if matrix won for originality, i hope Matrix II and III doesn't even get nominated, since i dont expect much originality in them, darn it they even copied Lucas-way-of-making-movies ->trilogy)

I think it's still a bit too early to be making predictions about Oscar nominations. We have yet to see what kind of other movies there are out there and how they might measure up to AOTC (which I have a fairly high opinion of). While it's a really fascinating topic for consideration I think the Academy wields an influence far greater than it deserves. As many people have expressed so far on this message board, the Academy makes many, many dubious decisions and the Oscars it doles out are hardly a recognition of quality, but politics and prettiness. While I am a fan of William's AOTC score I think it very unlikely that it will win. It just wouldn't make 'Oscar-sense' to award the efforts of the second prequel, when the first was pretty much snubbed across the board. Though a nomination would be well deserved (especially considering the sheer size of Williams' output for the year).

CYPHER

Luke, FOTR and AOTC do not fall in the same Oscar period, so the comparison is a bit futile.

AOTC will be compared to the films that are released in the same Oscar period, and THEN it will probably loose.

Stefancos-  ;)

Explain this please. What is the Oscar period? (I didn't know men had periods.) :thumbup:

The Oscars get awarded every year, the films competing against each other are the films that are released in the US within THAT year.

Fellowship Of The ring was released last year, AOTC this year, therefore they can never run against each other in the Oscar race.

There are many other award ceremonies, each with different entry dates, therefore they may run against each other for other awards, but not the Oscars.

AOTC will very likely run against The Two Towers, the second LOTR film assuming it gets a nomination.

Other possible contswstants are MIIB, Spiderman (well...) the second Harry potter film.

Stefancos- who thins most of AOTC's effects are good, but not groundbreaking, just an expansion of what we have seen before.

I thought that that is what the academy (supposedly) does. Reward for quality and innovation.

LOL ROTFL ;):thumbup: jump1 ;)ROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

Exactly!! Thats why TPM (nor any future Lucas releases I suspect) never saw any oscars.

And it should have because it's quality was more impressive than The Matrix's innovation :P

Every year I try to forget the ridiculous travesties the Academy has engineered in the past, hoping that they will redeem themselves. They have not.

A few recent examples of this is all that is needed to bring discredit to the Oscars:

Shakespeare in Love won over Saving Private Ryan

Jim Broadbent won over Ian McKellan

Denzel Washington won over Russelll Crowe (affirmative action reached the Oscars that evening)

If TPM wasn't inovative, I don't know what is.

I really don't think the Podrace, the landscapes, the CGI characters werent' reashes of things done in the past at all.

And AOTC wen even further. Acording to some interviews I read of some FX experts, ATOC special effects were 4 x times more complex than those on TPM.

darn it they even copied Lucas-way-of-making-movies ->trilogy)

Ummm Lord of the rings was a trilogy LONG BEFORE anyone knew what SW was. However, its not like as if LOTR even created the idea of a trilogy. Lucas' idea for a trilogy was HARDLY a groundbreaking idea Luke. It was just something that had not been done in a while.

BTW I disagree on your theory that the academy doesn't give Lucas oscars because they don't like him. Last time I checked Lucas still has an Irving Thalberg Award for Lifetime Achievement from this guys.

Of course .... he won that back when he still had a degree respect left in him as a filmaker. :)

@Stefan: I know comparison is futile, i was only in the point that it won the SFX oscar, and TPM not, havig better SFX and 'unnovative' ones. I mean FORT is not unnovative, but it won.

@Rogue Leader: LORD was not a movie. I DIDN'T SAY LUCAS INVENTED TRILOGIES I SAID HE INVENTED MOVIE TRILOGIES, but i could be wrong, but i do not recall any movies trilogies before SW. ANd darn it almost every movie now has sequels, PREQUELS (Lucas did this first, and think invented the name). It just is a new fever (started since TPM)

:)

censored

Justin - Wondering who Ricard thinks he is. ;) :yellow:

darn it they even copied Lucas-way-of-making-movies ->trilogy)

Ummm Lord of the rings was a trilogy LONG BEFORE anyone knew what SW was. However, its not like as if LOTR even created the idea of a trilogy. Lucas' idea for a trilogy was HARDLY a groundbreaking idea Luke. It was just something that had not been done in a while.

Lord of the Rings is one book that has been broken into 3 books by the publishers, not by JRRT. It is not a true trilogy.

What about the godfather trilogy?

The Godfather was originally a book by Mario Puzo, broken into movies by Coppola. The first movie was made in 1980, after Star Wars ANH.

What about the godfather trilogy?

The Godfather was originally a book by Mario Puzo, broken into movies by Coppola. The first movie was made in 1980, after Star Wars ANH.

What, you have this completely wrong.

The Godfather was one book and was made into one film. It wasn't broken down into 3 stories. The second and third films were based on the characters in the book.

And it wasn't made in 1980 after Star Wars is was made in 1972 before Jaws. Godfather 2 came out in 74 before Jaws.

Justin - Wondering who Ricard thinks he is. ;) :yellow:

Ricard is... Ricard.

And my :) emoticon was mainly meant to disapprove (not as a moderator, but as a fan) the fact that you used this :lol2: emoticon just because someone thinks that AOTC 'does not hold up well after many listens.'

I think its use was highly inappropiate (regardless of what I think of AOTC)

It's too bad they don't give out Oscars for best adapted score anymore (e.g. Fiddler on the Roof). AOTC would win hands down since the score in the film is mostly "adapted" from The Phantom Menace. AOTC get nominated for costuming, cinematography, art direction etc. since TPM wasn't.

Pretty sure 'Minority Report' will get a best score nomination.

Look's like 'The Road To Perdition' may sweep the board, judging by current trade word of mouth. But hey! too early to tell I suppose.

Hmmmmm was there no other movie trilogy BEFORE SW??? :?

What about A fistful of Dollars (1964), For a few Dollars More (1965), and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (1966)?

BigJohn

What about A fistful of Dollars (1964), For a few Dollars More (1965), and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (1966)?

BigJohn

I think it's debatable whether those three films can be considered as a real trilogy.

I assumed TPM would get a score nomination based solely on "Duel of the Fates." It didn't happen.

I am not going to assume that AOTC will get a score nomination, regardless of the "Across the Stars" theme. Besides, that hack job near the end probably makes it ineligible for original score. :music:

As far as other nominations, Visual Effects, Sound and Sound Editing are good possibilities.

Art Direction? What a joke? The sets were designed on computer to be pasted on bluescreen. Other films actually build sets for actors to walk through and interact with.

Cinematography? Another joke. It's not hard to point a camera at actors against a bluescreen.

As far as JW's score nods this year, he'll get one for Minority Report, mark my words. If Catch Me If You Can is good, it'll have to be better than Road to Perdition and Signs, the other two great films so far this year, and possibly Gangs of New York.

As AOTC has been as critisized as it is, I don`t believe it`s gonna have any Oscars. (Episode I didn`t won a single one - it lost them all to "The Matrix", which also was a ways better movie).

But perhaps AOTC could get nominations for

BEST SOUND EFFECTS

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

And (unlikely, but I really hope so)

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Thats a good question! I wonder.

Oh please Star Wars was hardly the first set of 3 films to be called a trilogy.

easy example

Creature From the Black Lagoon 1954

Return of the Creature 1955

The Creature Walks Among Us. 1956

and like Star Wars, the first is the best, and the last the least.

Lon Chaney Jr. made a trilogy of Mummy Movies,

The Mummy's Tomb

The Mummy's Ghost

The Mummy's Curse.

One could argue it was part of a larger series and this would be true, but the 3 Chaney films all have a common thread that links the 3 films together to form a neat little grade b trilogy.

Planet of the Apes had 5 films just a SW has, and like SW went back to its origins in later sequels