The positive Prequel Trilogy thread

Sandor

A thread devoted to all things good about the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy: the films and the scores.

My opinion is too detailed to put down in a single post, so I hope this thread will give me (and others) the opportunity to ventilate all my praise for the Prequels.

To sum that opinion up however: I love Star Wars. I think it's cool. Not nerdy, not silly, not weird, just straight out cool. And I'm not ashamed to admit it either!

Looking forward to your opinions!

A small request for the likes of Joe, Neil, Mr. Cosman and others: I would like this thread to have a POSITIVE feeling to it. I know I don't have the power to "forbid" you guys posting here, but I ask you to minimize your sarcastic and loathing remarks.

This is a thread for Prequel friends you know; not its haters. And to be honest; we know where you stand already on this, but the fans of the Prequels (and its scores) have not been heard I feel.

It's time to bond together!

Thanks!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice idea Roald. But expect Joe, Stefan and other sour pusses to ruin this thread. I hope not but fear for the worst.

I admit that I like the Prequels music very much (yes even the less applauded AOTC).

Williams had a fresh start with the music and I did not expect it to become a carbon copy of the OT's music. I love the way Maestro invented a new sound for the Prequels that took its cue from the OT but added new elements to the music. The Prequels music is the very best Williams has composed in recent years. There is so much to be lauded in the Prequels scores that I have to organise my thoughts and post a rant about their excellence later :|

Nice idea Roald.  But expect Joe, Stefan and other sour pusses to ruin this thread.

LOL

Hey, I'm not on that list am I?

Positive things guys. Prequel friends remember?

I'll start by discussing Darth Maul. The guy is really cool in the film. He can fight good, is visually speaking very identifiable and even the music Williams wrote for him (the whispering Korah...Rhattamah...) is something truly unique and original. He is basically a non-speaking villan, but his fighting is what makes the guy rock!

I mean this. There are few characters as strikingly cool as Maul.

Maul is definitely an interesting character. He's kind of like a Bond bad-guy sidekick...like Jaws (the guy with the metal teeth. In fact, he does have metalic teeth, doesn't he?

Well, he is alluring because he doesn't say much, and the Jedi don't know who he is. He just shows up and tries to kill them, says nothing and has a lightsaber bo staff. The perfect counterpoint to the thoughtful, gentlemanly Jedi as portrayed in the first film.

I found it interesting that the Jedi immediately double teamed him. I would have thought at the time that that was against the Jedi code of honor or something, but it makes sense if the goal is defense.

PS- thanks for starting this thread. It is pointless to discuss the prequels amongst haters again. It's been done to death.

I love it! I think the universe Lucas has created is an incredibly real place filled with lots of lifelike and interesting characters. They also have a lot of interesting things to say because Lucas writes the most beautiful dialog. One could listen to the movies blindfolded and still be utterly moved. The story is deeper than your average drama and the delivery of their emotions comes close to the state of perfection. Who isn't dying when they see the love that Anakin and Padmé feel for each other is falling apart because of his attraction to the dark side? Lucas has a knack for creating memorable creatures that are being admired worldwide. Combine this with the thematically rich music of Maestro Williams and you are a witness to the best Science Fiction movies ever made for the silver screen. I can't wait till the "updated" versions hit the market.

----------------

Alex Cremers

My favorite underrated character is definitely Dooku. He's dark, elegant, sophisticated... everything the other villains aren't (and he gets his own unique saber!). It's too bad we didn't see more of his scenes in ROTS that were in the novelization.

Does he actually have a musical theme?

Good idea Roald.

I for one love both the movies and the scores to the Prequels. I never grew up on the OT so I'm not attatched to it like so many here. However the Prequels aren't as bad as some people here have claimed they are to be. You need to view these movies with an open mind, and just forget about all the cheesy dialogue that may appear in the films and just watch them and have a fun time. There isn't a movie that is totally perfect. Every movie has some sort of flaw to it.

I know quite a few people myself who enjoy the Prequels and think they are fun to watch. When watching the entire Saga in order I-VI it definitely gives you a different perspective of the story. At least it does for me. I think the reason why so many people dislike AOTC that much is because it's a love and mystery movie, and not a fast action paced movie like TPM and ROTS is (if that makes sense).

The scores for the Prequels are very out-standing and AOTC is definitely under-rated in my opinion. I think once a 2-disc expanded set comes out and people are able to hear a lot of the unreleased material they may appreciate it more. John Williams has done an out-standing job for all 3 Prequel scores, while I myself like ROTS' score the most I do love the other two as well. A lot of good material in the music and it's nice that he re-used the old themes in appropriate places.

I definitely though grow tired of ones who say "Watch ANH only, forget about the rest". Sorry but you can't just do that... with this entire saga all the movies need to be watched to really fully enjoy the entire Saga. At least that's my opinion anyways. Anyhow enough from me, I'm just babling on now...

:|

Greg - who was looking forward, on reading the thread title, to a SW thread with no haters....perhaps I'll just go and piss on their bonfire instead......

Christopher Lee is a wonderful actor and Dooku as a character (despite his funny name) is a good one. Interesting character's whose story is only partially revealed in the Prequel movies. He should have a spin off of his own :| I would love to know more about him. He apparently does not have musical identification (if you do not count the Conflict motif as his theme) which is a shame.

Something I find very interesting about the Jedi is that there is hubris involved in their downfall. They kind of lost their way as a group. Yoda mentions this half way through AOTC, saying that even the older and experienced Jedi have become overconfident. There are a lot more signs of this, especially if you study the laid back nature of Qui Gon and contrast it with the Jedi who train Anakin.

I like them a lot despite the weaknesses.

I think that's the point.....yes, these movies have faults (show me one that hasn't?), but for those of us willing to suspend that disbelief and overlook the shortcomings, what you end up with is a 12-hour marathon of pure escapist fantasy and adventure in what is really a stunningly realised environment - one which is really only matched/surpassed by Middle Earth and the Houses of the Landsraad...

I do have a nagging wish for the original version of Star Wars to turn on DVD, but quite frankly I can live wiithout it.....anything is better than nothing.....

:|

I definately see the Prequels as part of a 12 hour picture. In that context especially they're classic. There is no other film series like it. Think for example about the Lars Homestead in Episode II. I love the inclusion of that!

Nah, I think Clieg Lars is kind of interesting and convincing. And in all honesty I never wanted Owen and Beru to get too much attention. It was alright the way it was done in my opinion.

Cliegg Lars was a good supporting character and the actor was convincing enough. Owen and Beru are also supporting cast so their roles were just the right size. No need to make them bigger than they are.

Cliegg Lars was a good supporting character and the actor was convincing enough. Owen and Beru are also supporting cast so their roles were just the right size. No need to make them bigger than they are.

I was referring to the acting. :|

I agree Gandalf, uh Incanus!

By the way; what is your favorite scene from the Prequels?

Mine: the lightsaber battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin including the dialogue just before it and the immolation scene. Powerful stuff.

Also the Arena/Clone War sequence from Attack Of The Clones. Utterly fantastic!

Favourite scenes for me are the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel and the preceding few minutes, the bief scene with Sidious and Maul (where Maul talks! Accent well-hidden there!! Could have been interesting - a Sith Scouser!), and anything with Christopher Lee in it......

I would probably say that the best scenes from the Prequels have to be Emperor/Mace Duel (Ian McDiarmid is wonderful in that role untill he fights Yoda) , Anakin's Dark Deeds, Count Dooku Duel from AOTC and just about every scene with Chris Lee, and the climactic lightsaber duel from the ROTS and the surrounding scenes (Immolation) and the end of the movie. Heck Immolation is perhaps the best scene in the Prequels. I was genuienly moved by it. Williams' music works wonders in all these scenes. He is to be thanked for much of the emotional resonance of these movies.

Actually I love all the scenes where Ian McDiarmid is present. His character is simply one of the best in the entire SW saga.

Favourite scenes for me are the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel and the preceding few minutes, the bief scene with Sidious and Maul (where Maul talks!  Accent well-hidden there!!  Could have been interesting - a Sith Scouser!), and anything with Christopher Lee in it......

Actually I think Maul's voice was over-dubbed by another actor.

Hey, there's me too!

I liked very much the prequels, as well as the OT. This happened more or less for the same reason Vosk wrote: I saw the OT for the first time a few months before the Special Edition releases in 1997. Keep in mind that from Episode to Episode three years passed, so I can say that I watched the OT, then after three years I saw TPM, after three years I saw AotC, and finally after three other years I saw RotS. I haven't created a bond with the OT stronger than the one with the PT, so I just like the prequels, too. I can say that I grew up with ALL the Star Wars saga, marking the end with Revenge of the Sith. That was a touching moment in my life: I knew it was all... over. The legend of Anakin Skywalker ended there. And the music... A New Hope/End Credits is terribly moving... :cry:

Indeed it was.

I can say that I grew up with ALL the Star Wars saga, marking the end with Revenge of the Sith.

Indeed that you can and so can I. I am very fortunate to have seen all 6 Star Wars movies in theaters. Grant the OT were the Special Editions when I saw them in theaters but still, it was a great oportunity to watch them all in theater. :)

It is interesting to think of the way that the Jedi were so much about non-attachment that they spawned a Jedi full of attachment. If they had only been more like Luke and gone to rescue Anakin's mom, things could have turned out ok. But instead they were mired in "the Jedi code" which was too unattached and neutral and were easily beaten by the emotional dark side.

I think the Jedi were not too good at adapting to the situation while Sidious was able to change plans quickly according to the situation. Whenever the Jedi are faced with an obstacle, they walk a narrow path right into Palpatine's traps. Whenever Palpatine is faced with an obstacle, he quickly adapts to the situation.

For instance, they found "the chosen one" but he was too old. So they tried to train him as if he were younger, when clearly they should have adapted to his formed mother attachment and rescued her. They should have treated Anakin as a special case instead of stubbornly denying any of his special needs.

The Jedi were also too loyal to the Republic when it came to their trust of the Clone Army. They put aside their worries about the illegal ordering of the army in order to save their order from a temporary setback on Geonosis. In Phantom Menace, the Jedi were pacifists, only using their powers to protect. The Clone Wars forced them to use their powers to fight a war, which they said they could not do at the beginning of the movie.

Christopher Lee is a wonderful actor and Dooku as a character (despite his funny name) is a good one. Interesting character's whose story is only partially revealed in the Prequel movies. He should have a spin off  of his own :) I would love to know more about him. He apparently does not have musical identification (if you do not count the Conflict motif as his theme) which is a shame.

His character is given much greater depth throughout the novelizations and books that follow them. His intentions and motivations become quite clear when reading things like "Yoda: Dark Rendezvous" and "Labyrinth of Evil". After reading the books that come between the films, it seems to me that the 3 prequel movies cover half the story - it is much more fleshed out in "Cloak of Deception" and the two previously mentioned books. Additionally, it makes the Yoda/Dooku duel in AOTC much more rewarding

I can say that I grew up with ALL the Star Wars saga, marking the end with Revenge of the Sith.

Indeed that you can and so can I. I am very fortunate to have seen all 6 Star Wars movies in theaters. Grant the OT were the Special Editions when I saw them in theaters but still, it was a great oportunity to watch them all in theater. :)

I alas was not so well informed in 1997 and did not see the Special Editions in theater. That is a shame because I have seen the Prequels on the big screen but not the OT. Funny that I probably heard SW before I ever saw it :) I watched the OT around 1996 or 97 (I know it sounds kind of late but I was not very acknowledged in movies back then :) ). After that I became an avid SW fan.

My favorite scenes are: Young Anakin leaving his mother in Episode I,

and very end of the Anakin`s betrayal."there are too many of them,what are

we going` to do?"(very beautiful choral music in it that is missing in my soundtrack)

and Anakin`s dark deeds in Episode III.

This is very good thread.I have to say there is nothing special in original

trilogy that is so much better than the prequels.Music have changed a little bit but

in the right direction.

...and I`m an old fart,was allready when Star Wars was released...

Much has been made about the lack of proper leitmotif used in the Prequel trilogy - I don't find this to be a problem. Obviously Lucas has tinkered with the scores far too much, but I don't need to hear a faint rendition of Darth Vader's theme every time Anakin is on screen to remind me of his fate. It seems to be used just sparingly enough to make it all the more effective when it's blasted in AOTC and ROTS

Of course the Gui Gon/Obi-Wan vs. Maul battle is among my favorite scenes too!

The Coruscant Chase... WOW!!

The Jedi Purge scene... CLASSIC!!

Also the prequels have some of the best acting moments of the entire saga: Palpatine in Episode III, the immolation scene... fantastic!

And what about the humor? Sometimes very subtle: Jawa's and Tusken Raiders in TPM, "What the...!" (Episode II Coruscant Chase scene), the battle droids in Episode III... I really like that.

Nice idea Roald.  But expect Joe, Stefan and other sour pusses to ruin this thread.

01 - Personal attacks or offensive language will not be allowed. Please be RESPECTFUL of one another, allow for differences in opinions, and please don't make anyone feel that they cannot post their views in this forum.

You can read that here.

Neil - who is cracking up at this thread

Favourite scenes for me are the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel and the preceding few minutes, the bief scene with Sidious and Maul (where Maul talks!  Accent well-hidden there!!  Could have been interesting - a Sith Scouser!), and anything with Christopher Lee in it......

It was indeed dubbed, by a Scouser.....Ray Park is a broad Scot.....

I like the Prequels too. I still think JEDI is the weakest film of all six - so all 3 prequels have been an improvement over at least a part of the holy OT. And don't get me wrong - I like JEDI too - but I think the other 5 are even stronger.

Last month I watched all 6 in numerical order and it was such a fun way to rediscover the OT - the Anakin/Vader journey is very satisfying to me. Also, Palpatine/Sidious/Emperor is a great throughline too.

My favorite scene in the prequels is probably the scene after Palpatine kills Mace and christen's Lord Vader. There just something about the wind through the broken window and the Emperor's eyes and him donning his cloak and the sound effect on his voice that feels like the turning point of the whole saga, much more even than the revelation at the end of EMPIRE.

The Kamino scenes in CLONES also have a cool feeling with the rain and the thunder and lightning, especially the scene in Fett's apartment, where you can see the storm outside the window.

I understand that many people do not enjoy the prequels, but I do not agree with them. In fact, I've taken to just ignoring their posts completely. I see their name or their obnoxiously large signature photo for sub-par mediocre movies (even compared to the "terrible" prequels!) and skip right over them. No rules against that!

Yes, one with an incredibly bizarre name. (Any Brits: he was on Have I Got News For You? last year. :))

Yes, one with an incredibly bizarre name. (Any Brits: he was on Have I Got News For You? last year. :))

Peter Serafinowicz

Neil - who is cracking up at this thread

I'm ready for you.

But are you ready for me?

I really like the Lars Homestead scene in AOTC, I love the fact that Owen turns out not te be Anakin's brother, and indeed hardly knows him.

I love the fact that Owen has C3PO working for him in AOTC.