Change of composer not Williams's choice?

ChrisAfonso

Just read this in an interview with Mike Newell, did this already come up?

Q: Why did you replace John Williams with another composer - Patrick Doyle?

A: I wanted a different composer because in the film there was a tremendous amount of music that the actors had to work with, dancing music, walking music, there's lots and lots of music. So it's very difficult for me to work with a composer who is 6,000 miles away. And John Williams lives in Los Angeles, so I needed somebody who was right there. And I've worked with Pat, Patrick Doyle, who is a great composer, twice before, also on Donnie Brasco and he is a great man, to work with, he gives you a lot.

(Source: "]http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=55888)

I can't completely believe his reasoning, as Williams already did advance music for PS and PoA, so it's not a thing nheard of from him...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"it's very difficult for me to work with a composer who is 6,000 miles away"

What a piss weak excuse that is. How many times has Williams worked with the LSO? It's not like JW hasn't worked overseas before. It sounds more like penny pinching to me. New Director who didn't like the idea of paying the going rate for a high class composer like Williams.

He is just embarrased (now) for not hiring him, and is trying to justify what he did. Williams the three potter scores have been recorded in london, and if it was going to be something like COS, the adapter surely would be focused 100% on the project...

I think this is a non factor. Williams wanted to score Memoirs of a Geisha and it appears he jumped directly to Munich. I kinda have a feeling that if Williams wanted to score GOF the producers would have taken him over Patrick Doyle.

Williams is the one who dumped the project, not the other way arround. Delusions of grandeur of Nevell.

I still think williams could have pulled a COS way of score... (not the way it ended, williams rushing composing everything, but creating just the themes)...

Of course it was Williams' choice; which moron would turn down a John Williams score?

The "too far away" excuse is utter hogwash! "Music the actors can work with ..." where's the problem? A composer can't conform a cue just because he works in another country? Give me a break.

I think that Newell has forgotten that powered flight has been around for over 100 years.

Well, just take a look at what Pete Jackson is doing with JNH on Kong. Williams technically doesn't need to leave Los Angeles, even though it's been stated several times that Williams is the one that passed on GoF because of Memoirs. His loyalty to Spielberg is quite a strong one.

Tim

True or not, it does make sense to me. I've always said that one of Doyle's strengths is pre-written source music, and that's something Williams hardly ever does. I still want to hear Williams' version of the graveyard scene, but the dance cues are where I think Doyle really had a clear advantage.

Marian - ROTFLMAO