The Legend of Zorro

Morlock

Anyone else heard this score? I've been rather uninterested in most things Horner since Titanic (Save A Beautiful Mind and parts of Troy), but his Flightplan score this year grabbed me. I heard a lot of good word of mouth on The Legend of Zorro score, so I put on a list of CDs for my dad to get, the lowest priority one. He couldn't find Narnia or Kong, so he got me this one. I did not like the original score at all. I couldn't stand that love theme, and so much of them usic is repeated verbatim throughout.

So, imagine my surprise, when I put in this one, and I friggin' love it! One of the best Horner scores I've heard, and also the funnest.

It's fun, it's exciting, even his usual Horner-ism sound better. And he's diversifying- he's not ripping off The Mission as much, or his usual stuff- he's using smaller motif, and expanding on them- like he uses the motif from 'Morney's Dream' to great extent, and uses it very well. Wrath of Khan is represented well, and not just by the danger theme. The only Horner-ism I don't like here is the Shakuhachi, but, then again, I haven't liked it since Legends of the Fall. He actually slips into new territory here- I hear some Zimmer in here!

I'm not sure where the gentle theme 2 minutes into 'Jailbreak/Reunited' first originated, but it's quite beautiful. I've heard it before, but I forgot about it. A lot of people talk about 'The Train', but I think it's just as good as the rest of the score.

One of the best albums of the past few years, an undemanding, yet very rewarding Horner score.

:P 'Ripley's Rescue' from Aliens by James Horner

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James Horner must be mesmerizingly infectious.

The last remains of my will to listen to anything new by James Horner got washed away after buying and listening to "The Missing". I don't say I don't believe you, Morlock. But there were so many positive comments across the fan base towards "The Missing" score that I couldn't resist and got the score. I was so angry when I listened to it that it's beyond my craft to depict it fittingly here. I found "The Missing" to be such a blazing deja-vu that I just gave up on new stuff from James Horner.

Strangely enough, there's a new theme that pops up in the score that is identical to a piece used in the obscure CD "Acadia", music based on the Acadia park in Maine. One instance it's heard is in "The Train" at 7:39. I can't believe Horner would have even heard such an obscure piece beforehand, but the similarities are undeniable.

In the exact same way Horner's re-used it countless times since?

The theme is in TWOK. Whether it's re-used the same or diffrently in other scores is irelevant.

As for Legend of Zorro. The score might be an improvment but in all honesty it's just a re-working of The Mask of Zorro. The same laziness we've seen before except that it's re-worked more exactly. There are no new themes of any note. The score may be fun but isn't amazing or 5 star worthy by any stretch of the imagination. People are just reaching for a great Horner score which doesn't exist here.

Justin

As for Legend of Zorro. The score might be an improvment but in all honesty it's just a re-working of The Mask of Zorro. The same laziness we've seen before except that it's re-worked more exactly. There are no new themes of any note. The score may be fun but isn't amazing or 5 star worthy by any stretch of the imagination. People are just reaching for a great Horner score which doesn't exist here.

I disagree. I don't like the first one at all- I don't find it to be fun, I think it is a rather heavy-handed score. With this one, I here Horner letting loose, having a grand old time scoring. It is a feel I get from it that I haven't heard since his 80's (and early 90's) animation scores- real, genuine fun.

This reporter seems to like "Zorro," and her praise of "Geisha" is equally high, so her views on "Zorro" make me want to check out the score (in the movie).

Jeff -- who is quite sad that Horner was not able to capitalize on the success of "Titanic"

Justin - Who doesn't think 40% fun is brilliant.

Don't you enjoy it because it isn't 'brilliant'? (a frisbee word if there ever was one). I heard 'Zorro' and liked it's energy and enthusiasm...even in small instrumental details like the celeste and triangle in the 5th track.

The funny thing is, there are new themes and motifs and the criticism that the main themes from the first one are featured prominently is a bit moot, It's a sequel, after all. And Horner has done a lot worse in that department (Star Trek III, Cocoon 2), featuring the same music unadultered. This is clearly not the case here, because he's fun with them.

Just tell me one instance in the first score where the love theme is 'swashbuckled' like in 'Stolen Votes'. It's not there. Because of that, among other ditties, it's a good release.

The only problem being that 60% of the score is basically recycled.

Justin - Who doesn't think 40% fun is brilliant. :|

The themes are old, yes. But the score itself is cartainly not 60% recycled.

This reporter seems to like "Zorro," and her praise of "Geisha" is equally high, so her views on "Zorro" make me want to check out the score (in the movie).

Even if you concurred on 99 scores out of 100 with her, you both may have totally different opinion on this particular one score. I have not yet found a person with whom I would be in absolute unanimity as for the film music. We, the soundtrack lovers community, are pretty choosey people with only as many unique views as there are DNA variations to be made.

Roman – who thinks Horner's The Land Before Time is among his very best deeds.

• 2 weeks later...
Strangely enough, there's a new theme that pops up in the score that is identical to a piece used in the obscure CD "Acadia", music based on the Acadia park in Maine. One instance it's heard is in "The Train" at 7:39. I can't believe Horner would have even heard such an obscure piece beforehand, but the similarities are undeniable.

Hey, I'm from Maine! Where can you get that score or video? Who wrote the music?

~Conor

Hey, I'm from Maine!  Where can you get that score or video?  Who wrote the music?

~Conor

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003OV...v=glance&n=5174

It's by Jim Chappell, and the release date was 1996. If you listen to the soundclip of the first track, you'll actually hear the theme/motif (at 0:06) in question.

That's actually part of Horner's love theme from the first film. It's also the chorus of the song for the first film, 'I Want to spend my lifetime loving you'.

• 7 months later...

I think it's a fun and memorable score, but nothing amazing. Sure Horner rips off himself and others a few times throughout, but it's enjoyable enough for that sort of thing not to bother me.