New Temple of Doom Boot?

TheRuleOfThirds

A friend of mine is editing mine together with the album tracks using all three of my extract CDRs. It should sound excellent when he's done. I can extract and mix, but I can't edit very well (I have to spend all my free time on my comics. :wave:).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've listened to this boot tdoay, and I must say that although incomplete, the quality of the music is very satisfactory. What a joy to listen to Welcome to Pankot Palace and Stealing the stones with some decent sound. This is indeed one amazing soundtrack. The absence of a complete release is almost insulting.

Yeah Romão, that "almost" was out of place...not only we don't have a complete release, the problem is that the OST is extremely rare to find, and one of the most incomplete JW's OSTs release ever. :mrgreen:

I am learning to become media designer for picture and sound and as soon as i have more knowledge of mastering and editing i will do another version of this one. I never thought it would become THAT famous and i only did it as mp3 with an encoding of only 192 kbps. That should be always the same, no matter from what source you got it and thats one of the reasons why i want to re-do this (some clumsy edits between film and album tracks are another good reason).

Maybe I can even improve the sound a little and i found some more suspense music before the bug tunnel sequence which is pretty much sfx free and could be included. Now as soon as i have the time and expanded knowledge i will work on temple of doom again.

Andreas, I read you post correctly? You're saying that this thread is dedicated to your Temple of Doom bootleg, right?

I'd love to hear this one.

Do you share it on eMule (or maybe SoulSeek)?

The new boot has a great soundquality compared to the old one I have though it is still far from perfect. There is hardly any SFXs or dialogue. Only complaint is the missing music like the Plane on the Map montage (Over the Himalayas) and the finding of the secret passage cue before bug Tunnel and Death Trap.

This has been said by practically everyone here but Indy scores really need a complete release and they need it now!

:) Underground Chaos (no SFXs!!!) Friggin brilliant!!!)

No re-recording, give us the original tracks.

I think every Williams fan agrees with that. Nothing beats the original tracks.

Woah. This is very promising. Right now I'm listening to the first real cue (after the initial song). I expected the "bottle gunshots" (which are there in my complete version) and there aren't any!

The quality seems really high, I can't wait for the following cues!!! :)

Mirko - more Indy-pendent than ever. 8O

I know, I know...

You know what? Since this and Chris' bootlegs are very good, and pretty much acceptable (not perfect, but not bad at all), I'm wondering a thing...it's possible to do a similar work to The Last Crusade?

Despite ToD is the most famous JW's wanted score, LC it's my absolute #1.

All we have is the *quite* complete score, but in a indecent sound quality. 8O :)

Woah. This is very promising. Right now I'm listening to the first real cue (after the initial song). I expected the "bottle gunshots" (which are there in my complete version) and there aren't any!

Is it possible that the German edition has, just like Revenge of the Sith, a different surround mix? Or did you edit those out BigMacGyver? Or did you use the front channels perhaps for this cue?

Andreas, I was about to PM you but I prefer to post it here.

Congratulations, that work was great! It sounds really good.

Any chance to have a similar thing for Last Crusade? 8O

Let us know any news about more ToD cues or LC bootlegs, OK?

Thanks.

I mainly used the rear channels for this edition. Only the end credits contains all channels. Portions with heavy sfx (just like the bottles) are edited out. I am afraid the last crusade is a different issue since there are way more soundeffects mixed over the music.

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I got it and am very impressed with it. Great job! A lot of music that I was terribly missing from the OST is there, especially including the actual finale. Thank you ever so much!

Just one little question: On the version I have, the End Credits contain the Brittish fanfare (from the finale) between Willy's theme and the final Indy march. Did you put it there or do I have a slightly different version than the one you made? I thought maybe it was like that on the DVD, but I checked it yesterday and it wasn't there.

I put the british fanfare there because... well, i liked it so much and felt i wanted to hear it once more. Besides, there is this nasty edit in the end credits that jumps right into the raiders march without any transition so i was looking for something to put in there but it is really just a personal love with the theme ;-)

The theme is certainly good. Only when I heard it there the first time, it made me jump, because I was expecting it to go like the OST version. ;)

I'm going to try to edit the OST End Credits to be after your Finale if I can.

I remember trying something like that, too (using the album end credits instead of the film version) but i think something did not really work. I think the build up to the end credits of the album version is actually the moment of score when the children are running into the town with indy and co. following. That goes right into the slave children's march.

However, in the film the end credits build up is different. There is this fanfare of the second half of the raiders march's bridge which is repeated two times (pitch differs here) and this goes right into the march counterpointed with short round's theme. A lovely moment and actually the most satisfying way of getting to the end credits portion in the entire series. Why they cut that out of the album version and went straight to the slave childrens march is beyond me.

That's the reason why i put the album end credits at the end of the disc since both versions are so different. But that was just an emergency solution and there might be a better way of doing it. Maybe by editing the portion of the beginning of the album track into the film version when the children start running... something like that though i am not exactly sure if that would work since it is a pain to match the pitch of album and film version.

Here's a tip: there are NO ALTERNATES on the TOD album. After minute examination, I realized that the "Finale & End Credits" is merely cleverly spliced in one or two places. It's not a "different version". If anyone wants, I will go back and revisit this to give you the exact timings.

I have just ripped the last portion again to compare it with the album track: The beginning of the album's end credits is NOT the portion when the children are running in the town. The first few bars are similar but it goes into a slightly different version in the film.

The clever edit in the album track comes at 00:36 where it jumps right into the end credits and leaves out about 2:50 minutes of music.

The film version contains these annoying kids screaming and the album version is too short for being a potential replacement so i don't see how this portion of the finale could be salvaged.

How is a "better sounding" boot possible? Other than a little EQ adjustments here and a few skillful edits there, my homemade DVD extract is about as good as you can do considering the source of the material (which was pretty nice as far as these things go, and is currently being edited by a friend to make it even better). Mirko, care to elaborate more? Is it a different boot using different sources than my homemade one? Or is it, like KM said, virtually the same as mine, just editing out the occasional SFX?

-Chris, Who'd rather hear a small sound effect as ambience and ALL of the score than hear skips that censor parts of the music....

Is it a different boot using different sources than my homemade one? Or is it, like KM said, virtually the same as mine, just editing out the occasional SFX?

Like KM said, virtually the same as yours, just editing out the occasional SFX.

It doesn't matter what people says, I rather have these kind of bootlegs instead of having nothing at all. Those are not meant to be perfect, but it's something accetable and enjoyable, since we don't have nothing of official to substitute them. So, untill we'll have an official expansion, we have those. Better than nothing.

Who disagrees evidently doesn't care at all to the music. :thumbup:

Those are not meant to be perfect, but it's something accetable and enjoyable, since we don't have nothing of official to substitute them.

Tell that to the poor sods who paid money for these bootlegs because they were advertised as Official Promo's or high quality bootlegs on places like eBay.

Who disagrees evidently doesn't care at all to the music. :thumbup:

I care to much about the score of TOD to let my love for it be ruined by inferiour bootlegs.

How is a "better sounding" boot possible?

I doubt that it is better sounding. My encoding is 192 kbps and I used album tracks with an encoding of only 128 (!) kbps. Some moments almost go to the edge of distortion but maybe Tommy and the others are refering to the arrangement rather than the sound quality.

The most difficult thing is to even the volume of the tracks without destroying the natural sound of the orchestra. These damn volume jumps can be really annoying and it takes a lot of time to get that right.

And then, there is the inclusion of the album tracks which bring an entirely different sound that needs to be adjusted.

-Chris, Who'd rather hear a small sound effect as ambience and ALL of the score than hear skips that censor parts of the music....

Of course this is a matter of taste. However, I think most of the sfx like gunshots, screams, swords rattling and all that go way beyond ambience and are completely disturbing the mood that is created by the music.

I prefer a well-made edit that skips these things and goes right on with pure music though without breaking up the flow or mood that is created. Music is more about emotional stimulation to me and the least thing i can stand is a violation of that stimulation by people shooting and screaming. Loosing a few moments of music for that should be no problem.

But i certainly admire you for the ability to enjoy a score even with such anomalies.

After I got a few of your tracks I made my own edits for the rest.I also deleted the big sound effects,like gunshots and screams(too bad about those loud gunshots in the climactic moment of Underground Chaos :baaa: )...etc...but kept a few of the less loud ones,like the crickets in the village cues(or else you can't get these cues at all),or the water dripping in the underground cues.

K.M.

Those are not meant to be perfect, but it's something accetable and enjoyable, since we don't have nothing of official to substitute them.

Tell that to the poor sods who paid money for these bootlegs because they were advertised as Official Promo's or high quality bootlegs on places like eBay.

Well, I think that fans should know before buying. If you try to sold me an expanded LC or ToD score calling "official" I perfectly kow it's fake, since I know that there's nothing official out there.

So it's not my fault if there are idiots who sell/buy stuff on eBay without calling them with their proper name. People should know before buying. And yes, it's really high quality, or if you don't want to use the word "high", use "very good", "acceptable". :baaa:

I care to much about the score of TOD to let my love for it be ruined by inferiour bootlegs.

Wow. Well, you certainly don't care for it enough to hear all that great unreleased music clearer than ever before! Some of the best cues aren't on that itty-bitty album. I couldn't wait to get the Indy DVD set mainly for that reason!

But then again... you're right... that official album will come. Maybe in 2084 for the centennial. Maybe our heads will be in jars like Futurama. Then we can enjoy it through the glass and liquid! :P

Of course this is a matter of taste. However, I think most of the sfx like gunshots, screams, swords rattling and all that go way beyond ambience and are completely disturbing the mood that is created by the music.

I prefer a well-made edit that skips these things and goes right on with pure music though without breaking up the flow or mood that is created. Music is more about emotional stimulation to me and the least thing i can stand is a violation of that stimulation by people shooting and screaming. Loosing a few moments of music for that should be no problem.

But i certainly admire you for the ability to enjoy a score even with such anomalies.

Of course, the loud gunshots or blood-curdling scream is a bummer. Those could use a skillful edit here and there. I mean I don't mind a few sfx here and there if I love the music. The Jurassic Park I boot for example... The dinosaur sfx actually adds a bit of ambience that I don't mind (the loud dino-bellows on Lost World are a bit much though). Whenever we get official albums, it'll be great, yet possibly a bit odd to hear te music clean and without any sfx. :baaa: