LOTR almost kills a man.

Indiana_Fett

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20060...02/s1567707.htm

British conductor and choral director Terry Edwards was rushed to hospital after suffering a heart problem during a performance in the eastern French city of Lyon, emergency services say.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Terry Edwards is the director of London Voices.

Sad and shocking news. I hope Mr. Edwards gets better and soon.

Hope he gets well :P

London voices in LOTR.. i didnt knew that. Definately it's the composer who makes them sound different.

No, London Voices is not a regular group of performers.

I suppose it's like the Hollywood Symphony Orchestra.

Listening to that complete Fellowship score would certainly kill a man...of boredom

K.M.

There is some really great material on that disc set actually. I know everyone has their own tastes but I wouldn't label the complete FOTR "boring" by any stretch.

Yeah sure, that's why it's selling so well and getting rave reviews with just about any serious film music site.

Its probably getting the reviews from the same people who vote for the Grammys.

• 4 months later...

any updates of this British conductor and choral director Terry Edwards if he okay?

Lord of the Rings Symphony about killed me too.

I fell asleep during the performance and about fell out of the balcony. Good thing I didn't pay for the tickets because I would have been pissed. 8O

I personally don't understand the appeal of Shore's music cause I find it as interesting as Muzak. It works great in the film, but beyond that... nothing. Melodies are simple and non-descript, counter-point is non-exsistant and harmony is very simple. Sheer size doesn't make up for it... :P

Frosty

That's unfortunate for Mr. Edwards. I'd imagine he's fine by now, but if not...I hope he is soon.

I, too, find Mr. Shore's music for LOTR to be lacking in that intangible quality I call brilliance. Most of it works okay in the films, as Frosty said, but the music seems to lack that sense of true inspiration. I have no problem with anyone enjoying the music (although I'd prefer it if certain other films received the complete soundtrack treatment first :)), but it's just not so much for me.

This is definitely not the right MB to discuss anything LotR music related. Before long someone will blurt out "LotR music is simple and uninspired. I wish Shore would write like Williams. Williams writes complex music. I fall asleep when I listen to LotR". And then it is downhill from there. The bashing continues.

I do not mean that this music should receive unanimous praise but many here do not give Shore's efforts any merit. I accept that not all people like the scores but I wonder why aren't they even willing to listen to them with such care that they would find out new things about them.

Good thing I don't have any of the LOTR cds...if I did I'd probably use them as coffee coasters.

This is definitely not the right MB to discuss anything LotR music related. Before long someone will blurt out "LotR music is simple and uninspired. I wish Shore would write like Williams. Williams writes complex music. I fall asleep when I listen to LotR". And then it is downhill from there. The bashing continues.

I do not mean that this music should receive unanimous praise but many here do not give Shore's efforts any merit. I accept that not all people like the scores but I wonder why aren't they even willing to listen to them with such care that they would find out new things about them.

I do own the cd's, but I can't listen to them because when I try, I find myself itching for something interesting to happen. I don't find Shore's writing that interesting. Even though it is intended for the film, listening to the cd's lacks the forward movement that makes the music work well within the context of the films. I can only take so many chords that crescendo and then decrescendo...

I thought this thread was about an old man almost dying, so I thought at least this one would NOT turn into another *cry*LOTR doesn't deserve the fuss *cry* thread ...

clearly I overestimated the emotional abilities of some people.