The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Great CD, the performances are top-notch in my opinion. This is the CD that introduced me to Williams.

Same here. For many years, this was my favorite album, Williams or otherwise. Then I realized that they weren't Original Recordings and started collecting those. Actually I adore all 13 tracks on the CD -- a rarity.

:)

Does anything here appear on the GH CDs? Btw, what recordings do you call the ones made in 1996 with the LSO at Abbey Road for some tracks on the GH?

Tracks from SPielberg/Williams Collaboration that appear on the GH CD are:

Theme from Sugarland Express

Cadillac of the Skies (Empire of the Sun)

1941 March

Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra

CEO3K:Excerpts

Raider's March

The LSO tracks on the GH are from the CD called Hollywood Sound recorded in 1996: E.T.(Flying), Jaws (theme), Star Wars (Main Title).

Oh, BTW, does anyone have the followup to that CD -- Williams on Williams? Also good (especially the Barrel Chase and Basket Case), but IMO nothing beats the original.

It's one of the best collection of Williams' tracks there is. Most of these versions beat the originals (Scherzo, Cadillac of the Skies, 1941). It is fantastic cd, don't miss it.

Williams on Williams CD is worth it for those tracks from Hook alone. Other performances vary from great to average. A great companion album for Spielberg/Williams Collaboration.

Spielberg/Williams Collaboration was one of the first Williams CDs I heard and it was a great introduction to his music. Cadillac of the Skies concert version is still one of the greatest pieces Williams has ever written IMO. As Merkel said a fantastic CD.

Does anything here appear on the GH CDs? Btw, what recordings do you call the ones made in 1996 with the LSO at Abbey Road for some tracks on the GH?

Tracks from SPielberg/Williams Collaboration that appear on the GH CD are:

Theme from Sugarland Express

Cadillac of the Skies (Empire of the Sun)

1941 March

Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra

CEO3K:Excerpts

Raider's March

The LSO tracks on the GH are from the CD called Hollywood Sound recorded in 1996: E.T.(Flying), Jaws (theme), Star Wars (Main Title).

Thanks but I need to rephrase my question, are they the same recordings or just the same tracks/arrangements but different recordings?

As Mark said they are the exactly same versions as on the GH CDs. Sony got those cheap for the GH since they were from CDs on their label so they did not have to buy rights for them from anywhere else.

Darn, that CD goes down my priority list then. But the cover is.....so...tempting. I mean, Spielberg, Williams, Indy, ET and Bruce lovingly handrawn. Whats not to like? 8O

I would buy it even if you have the GH. It is true that about half of the pieces are on GH but still there are few great concert arrangements on the CD e.g. The Shark Cage Fugue and Exsultate Justi.

The cover done by Drew Struzan is an added bonus.

I would buy it even if you have the GH.  It is true that about half of the pieces are on GH but still there are few great concert arrangements on the CD e.g. The Shark Cage Fugue and Exsultate Justi.

The cover done by Drew Struzan is an added bonus.

But I still have Sleepers and CoS in my sights! 8O

I just realised something. S/WC was released in 1991, or at least it says so here

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalo...662&skuId=22027

if it came out in 1991, how would it be possible for it to have the 1996 LSO recordings in the GH?

I like all of the performances on there except for Raiders March.

WTF?! The Raiders March on this album is the best rendition available. Even better than the original, bar a tiny little second during the strings middle section.

Spielberg and Williams Collaboration and Williams on williams are 2great c.d.'s Williams added original new intro and endings to most pieces not on the OST's

K.M.

Specially Scherzo.

Erm, I wouldn't say that, it's faster all right but it lost something in the process.

I agree though it’s a good disc

I didn't like Adventures on Earth though. Sounded a bit weak.

Jaws was something else, and the orchestral bass drum on Close Encounters must have reached fffff :)