GOMP - My own movie...

Sandor

Currently I'm working with my brother (yes, yes Maraquesh) on a new film: GOMP. On our website you can find all the information:

www.gompmovie.blogspot.com

I wrote a small idea for a theme and sequenced it in my Korg. A bit sloppy, but it's just an idea. Hope you guys like it!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the sketches, and the theme. The theme has nice chromatics and piano parts, and is very distinctive. You should join up with www.composerarts.com my newly launched site for indie films in which the music was composed before shooting. What you're doing is very in line with the goals of the "Music First" project. Be sure to say hi on the message board! http://www.composerarts.com/boards

I'd like to start a small movement going to prove that modern films can be made without sacrificing musical integrity in the editing process, and in fact the music can be written before they are shot.

Well, the theme is actually for the character of GOMP, who is not monsterous. At least not at the start of the film! LOL

Won't we have to be the judge of that?

Judging by opinions of War of the Worlds, Attack of the Clones and The Patriot, I wouldn't worry about any harsh opinions here, should they arise.

One minor point - I heard the rising part of Avner's theme in there somewhere, but it's a very minor thing

LOL I may have had Avner's Theme in my head when I started working on it!

Well Alex; everything is done on a Korg Triniton :D

Basically; I use my Korg to give an impression on how a theme or piece CAN be, but if I really want it good I always contact the Dordrechts Youth Orchestra to perform my pieces. It's free and they're relatively well trained. But really hard and expensive to record the complete orchestra. I usually rely on a few soloists to give my music a more natural sound.

Basically; I use my Korg to give an impression on how a theme or piece CAN be, but if I really want it good I always contact the Dordrechts Youth Orchestra to perform my pieces. It's free and they're relatively well trained. But really hard and expensive to record the complete orchestra. I usually rely on a few soloists to give my music a more natural sound.

Why not just spend 300 Euro's on Garritan Personal Orchestra and be done?

At least you would actually be composing your own music.

...???... What can Garritan do that Korg can't? (Gee, this starts to sound like dialogue from a long lost Star Trek Original Series show!)

Ah ok! You get a B+ now!

What's that, a 7,5?

Why not just spend 300 Euro's on Garritan Personal Orchestra and be done?

Actually, it's much cheaper now. $199 USD, which converts to even less than 199 in Euros.

http://www.garritan.com

It's even cheaper via eMule. ;)

I never did homework during my school days, so i'm not starting now.

Stefancos- master of the 5.6 average on his exams.

"Gaan voor de zes!" LOL That was my motto too you know!

Well, my primary choice to be a school teacher was to find a job where I could have A LOT of free time to work on my hobbies. I have, including ADV free days and all, more than 16 weeks vacation a year. I hardly ever work later than 16:30 and never on Saturday or Sunday.

Had I chosen another profession I could never have found the time to make GOMP.

Had I chosen another profession I could never have started The Centrestage (my small, independent songwriting agency).

Had I chosen another profession I could have bought a Ferrari....but that's another story!

It's actually better then Avner's Theme, IMO the most forgettable John Williams theme in years.

That's the greatest compliment anyone has ever given me. Thanks.

Hey guys,

I just put up a new arrangement we did for 'Gomp's Theme' on the site (www.gompmovie.blogspot.com), please check it out. Like I say on the site, this one's a much more polished version than the previous one. We really want to expand on the solo piano idea at the beginning, adding a few instruments and weird noises as it goes. This version, with it's quasi-bombast when the theme is played for the second time, is really not what we want, and it will be changed yet again in the near future. That's why they're just sketches of a finished version.

Hope you like it and we really look foreward to hear your feedback.

Gomp is coming...

Hey guys,

I just put up a new arrangement we did for 'Gomp's Theme' on the site (www.gompmovie.blogspot.com), please check it out. Like I say on the site, this one's a much more polished version than the previous one. We really want to expand on the solo piano idea at the beginning, adding a few instruments and weird noises as it goes. This version, with it's quasi-bombast when the theme is played for the second time, is really not what we want, and it will be changed yet again in the near future. That's why they're just sketches of a finished version.  

Hope you like it and we really look foreward to hear your feedback.  

Gomp is coming...

All I have to say to you is:

Tom Petty zuigt!

BTW, where are you guys getting the funds for such a project? It looks like it's going to be very good! Keep us up to date on it.

BTW, I love the drawings. As an cartoonist I can appreciate some skillful work. Same goes with that other guy... what was his name with the JW strip?

BTW, where are you guys getting the funds for such a project? It looks like it's going to be very good! Keep us up to date on it.

This a serious low-budget film. We try to keep production costs to a minimum and are dependent on the "free-giving" spirit of all involved.

BTW, I love the drawings. As an cartoonist I can appreciate some skillful work. Same goes with that other guy... what was his name with the JW strip?

My brother made most of the drawings. Expect more artwork in the future; from one-sheet concepts to storyboards.

Again; thanks for the positive feedback! :)

I've put up yet another new version of the theme. Hope you like it. It's an extreme small format .mp3, that's one of the reasons it sounds so crappy. But nonetheless, I'm really looking foreward to your feedback.

Cool project!

At first glance, it looked like your cast consisted of Sarah Michelle Gellar, scruffy Michael Buble, and Jesse McCartney:

gompcollage3.1.jpg

LOL

Looks like a great project! Nice theme, too! :wave: