Is John Williams overrated?

CharlieSherry

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely you jest!? :nod:

Certainly not by classical purists and musicologists anyway! Severely underrated by the latter individuals unfortunately!

;) Honey I Shrunk The Kids - James Horner (A man with alot of enemies!) Not me though :pukeface:

Yeah, right, okay, I'm going to take a deep breath and hope that this was not asked because someone actually thought it was true. *sheesh* :roll:

Ray Barnsbury

He's a Goldsmith fan. To them, of course he's overrated because Goldsmith is extremely underrated :mrgreen:

John Williams is not over-rated, but sadly there are many great film composers who are underrated and un-appreciated on alot of these forums. :cry:

...but sadly there are many great film composers who are underrated and un-appreciated on alot of these forums.

Exactly.

Slightly overrated.

:pukeface:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

You have a right to your opinion, but it is not on shared by many at this forum.

Joe, suddenly remembering the lines from LOST IN SPACE, crush, kill, destroy. LOL LOL LOL LOL

Hey scores fans:

Don't get wrong with me.

It is true that my favourite composer is Jerry Goldsmith but John Williams can be my second or third (Danny Elfman can be the second...) choice for my best composer.

:? :oops:

I am terrible sorry if I have hurt your feeling for that incredible composer called John Williams.

In fact he can be the man that make me entered in film music. :P

Sorry. That would have been funnier had we not posted at roughly the same time. Now it looks as if I am responding to your "wrong question" remark, which I am not.

Figo, tired of explaining his jokes. :P

This is a pointless thread. (as are many)

Every single person has a different opinion about music- each person has to answer this to himself.

I believe that John Williams is the greatest film composer who ever lived, that Jerry Goldsmith has produced some of the most boring music ever, that Hans Zimmer is the best composer for action movies and that James Horner gets a lot of bad press.

Others have said that John Williams is extriemely repetetive, that Jerry Goldsmith is the best compser ever, and that Zimmer and Horner are talentless and unoriginal.

A person's love for music has always been a mystery to me. How someone could say that 'Cutthroat island' is a great score- I don't understand. How someone could say 'Hook' is not I don't understand.

Although this will lead to nowhere- I think people should stop arguing about 'Which composer is better'- as the answer may be different for everyone.

In general I don't see that much support for Zimmer to say he is overrated.

You know that's true. It seems like everyone (except me of course :mrgreen: ) says that Zimmer is overated...

Justin - ;)

It seems that I am the only one who thinks that Alex North is up there with Williams and Goldsmith :mrgreen:

Certainly not. He deserves every single bit of accolades given.

I think Zimmer might be overrated, though, like someone above said. He HAS done some truly excellent stuff but lately, nothing has impressed me much. Although his Pearl Harbor score was quite beautiful.

I think Zimmer might be overrated, though, like someone above said. He HAS done some truly excellent stuff but lately, nothing has impressed me much. Although his Pearl Harbor score was quite beautiful.

It's beautiful, but it's not original (actually a copy of the 'Journey to the Line' theme from The Thin Red Line) and very repetitive.

In a way, yeah, it is taken from that score, which is gorgeous, best thing about the movie (which I found to be incredibly boring).

• 1 year later...

I think Shore's LoTR is overrated, but his earlier work is great and very underrated. Just watched Ed Wood again, and it's a joy with that score. It's a tribute to Ed Wood. And I wrongly dissed Mrs. Doubtfire a few weeks back- it's a very good score. Silence of The Lambs is great, and I think the whole trilogy has great music- I actualy think that Zimmer's score is the best of the three, and one of his best and most unique efforts. Philadelphia is good, but very moody. Dogma was great fun- I still can't imagine him working with Kevin Smith. I've never seen a Cronenberg film, but I'm told a couple of them have great scores. The Score and Panic Room had very good themes.

I thought Fellowship was slightly overrated, it did get a bit repetetive (especially the theme for the Nazgul). But The Two Towers was grossly underrated. Return of the King is sorta neutral.

But to answer the original question, No.

I think Shore's LoTR is overrated, but his earlier work is great and very underrated. Just watched Ed Wood again, and it's a joy with that score. It's a tribute to Ed Wood. And I wrongly dissed Mrs. Doubtfire a few weeks back- it's a very good score. Silence of The Lambs is great, and I think the whole trilogy has great music- I actualy think that Zimmer's score is the best of the three, and one of his best and most unique efforts. Philadelphia is good, but very moody. Dogma was great fun- I still can't imagine him working with Kevin Smith. I've never seen a Cronenberg film, but I'm told a couple of them have great scores. The Score and Panic Room had very good themes.

Shore's LOTR scores are, in my opinion, the greatest scores since the original Star Wars trilogy, and three of the greatest scores ever. I listen to them everyday, as often as I ever did any of JWs scores. I have listened to ROTK in its entirety everyday since I bought it, I can't say the same thing about a Williams score since Schindler's List. On those three LOTR CDs of Shores there isn't a single track that I don't enjoy. I am constantly hearing things that I hadn't heard before with LOTR. So, I definitely don't think LOTR is overrated, in fact, if anything they are underrated, TTT should have at least been nominated for both score and song (I'm still shocked that Gollum's Song wasn't nominated, if it had a "better" title and sung by a pop star it would have been) and ROTK should be nominated again for both, but I already know that it won't.

You know that's true. It seems like everyone (except me of course :) ) says that Zimmer is overated...

Justin - ;)

Zimmer is overrated, Justin, get over it. ;)

People tend to associate good filmmusic composing with good films. If the film was cool, then they say the music was cool. If we check why we like John Williams, we'll find in this forum that many of the music people hear, they haven't even seen the movie, or have forgotten about it, or don't see it too much (I like Spacecamp and Dracula, for instance :P ). That's a feat for a composer, having fans remembering what he dreams to forget. :)

You know that's true. It seems like everyone (except me of course :) ) says that Zimmer is overated...

Justin - :)

Zimmer is overrated, Justin, get over it. ;)

What do you mean Zimmer's overrated? he's trashed everywhere, especialy on forums!

I think he's so trashed, that he's underrated. He at least still has new kinds of scores and even experiments, as opposed to Horner, who for some reason is trashed and loved simultaniously.

I think he's so trashed, that he's underrated. He at least still has new kinds of scores and even experiments, as opposed to Horner, who for some reason is trashed and loved simultaniously.

Damn right! I also would say he is underrated by alot of folks out there.

I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean the other day (nice movie, BTW), and the score sounded exactly like Zimmer, but the credit was for some other guy, but later on the credits not only Zimmer's name appeared but also other clones including Glennie-Smith. This seems more like a factory of sounds instead of art, as Joe would put it.