The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I mean if you didn't like Architecture & Morality much as a whole I'd say no.  It's their best work (although I also love Dazzle Ships, but that's a rather "difficult" album).

I gave it another listen. It's not nearly as abstract as I'd remembered (perhaps that was Organisation, or I'm just mis-remembering... I'll give that one a spin next). Didn't really win me over still aside from the singles (but with Souvenir and the two Joan of Arcs, that's three tracks already), but I won't write them off as album makers just yet.

Surprisingly I really enjoyed The Wall again. I'm getting old ...

The 'Ooh babe' chorus after 'Why are you running away' in 'Don't Leave Me Now " is downright crushing ...

Possibly not as 'earwormy' as The Man by The Killers or Everything Now by Arcade Fire, but a definite grower ... am going to be singing that chorus a lot before too long, I can tell.

Between this and The Blackout, I'm excited for Songs Of Experience and hopeful for Belfast live dates again.    

22 hours ago, Richard said:

It's been called "their best lead single since VERTIGO".

personally, I like GET ON YOUR BOOTS, and NEW YEAR'S DAY. Heck, I even like A CELEBRATION :)

This is good, though.

Interesting to see you mention 'Get On Your Boots' ... it doesn't tend to be one of their more celebrated singles, even by the band themselves. Quite partial to it myself! 

2 hours ago, Richard said:

GOYB has nothing to say, but it's a fun ride.

In this world of art needing to have "meaning", it's nice to hear a band having a nice time, without the need for whatever it does, to have some sort of significance.

But what is art?

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Achtung

I only like their singles anyway

How could you not like THE REFUGEE, or "40", or OCTOBER, or RED HILL MINING TOWN, or NIGHT AND DAY?

HOLD ME, THRILL ME, KISS ME, KILL ME is great.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But what is art?

Fuck art, let's dance.

Would be worried about anyone who doesn't love the Joshua Tree like it's one of their own children tbh.

seeing Ryan Adams for the first time ever tonight. Been listening to him for about 10 years but I kept missing him over the years. Excited about it now. 

Will probably be depressed for the week after it mind 😂

3 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Would be worried about anyone who doesn't love the Joshua Tree like it's one of their own children tbh.

Worry away!  I prefer the Pet Shop Boys version of "Where the Streets Have No Name" ;).  But you're biased, it's a cultural requirement to like U2 right?

seeing Ryan Adams for the first time ever tonight. Been listening to him for about 10 years but I kept missing him over the years. Excited about it now. 

I would have loved to see him in the Cold Roses era (my favorite album).  But I bet he puts on a good show still.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Worry away!  I prefer the Pet Shop Boys version of "Where the Streets Have No Name" ;).  But you're biased, it's a cultural requirement to like U2 right?

I would have loved to see him in the Cold Roses era (my favorite album).  But I bet he puts on a good show still.

Most Irish people seem to depise U2 (classic Irish begrudgery) but they sell out multiple nights in Croke Park (82000) in seconds so...

Cold Roses is great. He's playing a good bunch of stuff off it on your at the moment. Hoping for Let it Ride personally.

From bootlegs he seems to be very consistent from gig to gig and he seems to be enjoying himself. The improv songs are nearly a highlight themselves at times because their so funny (if you like that sort of thing). 

I hate U2. Most people I know hate them too.

I've never heard of this artist before, but I'm really enjoying this new album.

Dent May - Across the Multiverse

Recommended for fans of sunny 70s singer/songwriter pop like Nilsson, Emitt Rhodes, Todd Rundgren, etc., etc.

CAK123_DentMay_AcrossTheMultiverse_900-1

Ryan was great! Really enjoyed my night. Played most of not all the new album and a lot of the last album. Highlights from Heartbreaker, Gold, Cold Roses, and Love is Hell too. 

ppetmp.jpg

Was listening to some Aquabats B-Sides today. One song, I Love the Monster, was really pumping me up. I'll see if I can find a link for it somewhere.

EDIT: Here's a link with pretty crappy audio and a really weird video: 

Holy shit, Emitt Rhodes released his first album in 43 years last year and I somehow missed it!  This guy is one of the great unsung pop songwriters.

Here's one of his great "should be a classic" early 70s songs

And here he is today, sounding as good as he did in his early 20s (just a little more world weary):

19 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Ryan was great! Really enjoyed my night. Played most of not all the new album and a lot of the last album. Highlights from Heartbreaker, Gold, Cold Roses, and Love is Hell too. 

ppetmp.jpg

Night two!!!

and this one was free!!!

Robert Plant is putting out a new album in October.  Released two songs from it so far.

He remains the most vital-sounding and interesting of all the 70s rock titans into his old age.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7MtSoMGlRMafqzbDoELZWK

https://open.spotify.com/track/4V0fKJHOeqpN2CxHjl2Ud1

There is nothing soulful about that song.  All of their songs are fake.  All they cared about was being rock stars so all of their songs are "Rock" songs.  They might have lyrics that look like they're about something, but they're really just about being rock songs.  It's annoying.

Noel would be the first to admit that the vast majority of his lyrics mean nothing. 

When you're in a field with 100,000 people singing along it doesn't really matter. 

Oasis are really good. I love Parklife :)

On 15/09/2017 at 8:08 PM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Bit of Neil this evening.

IMG_4195.PNG

Hey, Bilbo; this note's for you:)

On 11/09/2017 at 0:12 PM, Disco Stu said:

I prefer the Pet Shop Boys version of "Where the Streets Have No Name" ;)

Don't tell anyone, but (looks around, conspiratorially, then whispers) so do I.

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

I've always liked A DESIGN FOR LIFE, and YOUR LOVE IS NOT ENOUGH has a killer video. Michael Sheen :thumbup:

No he was in the video for the single of the follow up album. (It's Not War) Just the End of Love.

Your Love Alone Is Not Enough featured the Cardigans. 

They've released a bit of dross this side of the millennium but they've got some great albums over all.

2009's Journal For Plague Lovers was probably what made me a fan. 

Haha, that's a cute one. You a Waits fan, Koray?

Is anyone here by the faintest candle's chance a fan of 24-7 Spyz? I love how diverse they can get, even on the same album, while still maintaining a very distinct personality. Jimi Hazel's one of my favorite musicians 

I feel like Bernard Herrmann really threw himself into the wind, he might've written something like :47, it almost makes me think of the opening to Psycho.

Love all the little dynamic surprises throughout the track, and all of the little harmonic extensions.

And this one I can just imagine myself sweating on a sidewalk on LA, bemoaning my fate and feeling slightly hallucinatory due to dehyrdration :P

8 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

No he was in the video for the single of the follow up album. (It's Not War) Just the End of Love.

Your Love Alone Is Not Enough featured the Cardigans. 

They've released a bit of dross this side of the millennium but they've got some great albums over all.

2009's Journal For Plague Lovers was probably what made me a fan. 

Yes, of course! Sorry about that, Bilbo. It's still a great video, though.

It's true that they've lost their "bite", but they're still worth listening to.