The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Randy Newman's Faust

Only finally heard this myself a few weeks ago - I wanted to get it for a few years, but its poor reputation kept putting me off. Turned out to be one of the best things he's done in my opinion: Great songs, bitingly sarcastic lyrics, a great cast, great arrangements. And a great sounding recording to boot.

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Randy Newman's Faust

Only finally heard this myself a few weeks ago - I wanted to get it for a few years, but its poor reputation kept putting me off. Turned out to be one of the best things he's done in my opinion: Great songs, bitingly sarcastic lyrics, a great cast, great arrangements. And a great sounding recording to boot.

I am such an uber Newman fan and I too have always kind of avoided this one.  I need to get around to it!

1 minute ago, Richard said:

TEE. Fantastic!

Bes, do you have either MINIMUM/MAXIMUM, or 12345678?

Any other Kraftwerk hiding in your apartment?

Actually, they are hidding in my Spotify account. I love Kraftwerk, but it's more the music of my husband than the music of me.  But I love them. They are the grandfathers of electronica!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I am such an uber Newman fan and I too have always kind of avoided this one.  I need to get around to it!

The YouTube link is a playlist of the complete album. The (hard to get - found a cheap used copy) Deluxe Edition adds a second disc with demos performed (and explained & narrated) by Newman. I have yet to listen to it myself, but I'm sure it's a winner in its own way.

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The YouTube link is a playlist of the complete album. The (hard to get - found a cheap used copy) Deluxe Edition adds a second disc with demos performed (and explained & narrated) by Newman. I have yet to listen to it myself, but I'm sure it's a winner in its own way.

Oh!  And speaking of Randy Newman, and in case you didn't see this, but Noah Baumbach's new film "The Meyerowitz Stories" is premiering on Netflix next week and it has a score by Newman.  According to Baumbach, the entire score is just Newman on piano and was apparently performed 100% live to picture, possibly in one go?

For anyone who might care (read: just me probably), the new Robert Plant is streaming at NPR:

http://www.npr.org/2017/10/05/554005827/first-listen-robert-plant-carry-fire

I've already listened to it once and it is *excellent*.

A very good country rock cover of a classic Green Day song!

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

:pukeface:

That was atrociously awful.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

You don't deserve the word Disco!

What do you expect when Green Day are involved??

Anyway, better then Beady Eye but just the usual pub rock bollocks at the end of the day. 

Wall of Glass is the best song on it. 

Paper Crowns steals some of the verse melody to Hey There Delilah. 

5/10

913E6E25-C5F4-41D0-9765-BA7C6675228C.png

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

:pukeface:

That was atrociously awful.

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You don't deserve the word Disco!

I like it!

Do you just not like it because you don't like that country sound?  Is it the voice?  I like his voice, it has a tinge of the yodel sound of country music of yore.

41 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I like it!

Do you just not like it because you don't like that country sound?  Is it the voice?  I like his voice, it has a tinge of the yodel sound of country music of yore.

Terrible voice, terrible country sound

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Anyone who likes The Division Bell is my enemy.  Godawful album.

I actually like it!

I Actually own 6 CD of Pink Floyd, for me that's pretty much that (I'm not a fan of The Wall):

- Meddle

- The Dark Side of The Moon

- Wish You Were Here

- Animals

- The Division Bell

- Pulse

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

UF6YuZS.jpg

Oh I don't believe anything of that! :P

Eccelctic in my musical testes you say?

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I was exaggerating my dislike slightly, but I really don't care for it.  Great cover of course

Didi't listen to their last album yet... it seems very like massage music, no?

Maybe tomorrow...

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

The sound is pretty standard "shaggy" indie country, it appeals to me.  I wanna crack open a can of cheap beer and sing along!

I don’t think they do any cheap beers with your favorite footy fruity flavors. 

1 minute ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I don’t think they do any cheap beers with your favorite footy fruity flavors. 

Open your mouth and try to insert new things in it, it's the part of evolution they said.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Anyone who likes The Division Bell is my enemy.  Godawful album.

That's the spirit! 

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

(I'm not a fan of The Wall):

Not a fan of rock operas? ;)

Troy Baker’s latest musical project is now available to backers. Not sure if it’s wide yet; I love his implementation of the concept album in his work. Upon first listen, I prefer Sitting In The Fire, but this has such a different and soulful sound that I dig too. 

The RAA’s new album drops on Friday. Can’t wait for that one. 

A very good Québécois album, I don't know if you can heart it in outside Canada.

Daniel Bélanger - Les insomniaques d'amusent (1992)

Dishwalla, "And you think you know what life's about"

51MW45DP6EL.jpg

This probably seems rather random, but out of all the stuff in my rock/non-classical collection, this one is one of a handful that I've repeatedly listened to since I purchased it.  For this album, that's close to 20 years.  Strangely, this is not a band that I even adore.  I own one other CD, Opaline, but don't listen to it.  They had a big hit in the early 90s that I liked, but never pursued them until I heard the lead single from this, their second release.  

It just hit a nerve musically.  Most of the time it seems people latch onto certain albums because of lyrical content, but not for me.  This, in my opinion, contains a stretch of songs from beginning to end that is almost impossibly solid and consistent in quality.  Each has a unique character.  It's bizarre to be so enamored with an album that no one ever talks about.  If someone asked me to make a top 10 list of the best CDs in the last 30 years I would seriously put this on it, and people would look at me like I have antlers growing out of my head.