The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

31 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But it still seems to be missing Play with Fire, which Wikipedia says was recorded too.

Wikipedia lists that under "The following songs were recorded during the same set of concerts and later released as B-sides". The album is compiled from two (!) concert tours, so while the album is pretty much maxed out for a single CD release at 76 minutes, there's bound to be lots of stuff from the tours that wasn't included, even if it was released separately. As Fart mentioned, your best bet for getting more of those is probably one of the full live concert releases - they have tons of those, so many that it's become hard to keep track, but they're usually (? or at least often, I've lost track) worth it. My father had the Four Flicks DVD box that contains four separate full concerts, all from the same tour, and while there's naturally lots of overlap between them content-wise, they're still worth having.

As for Flashpoint, the list of separately released tracks also includes Gimme Shelter, presumably with Lisa Fischer (she's listed on the album for backing vocals), and those are usually outstanding. Several full concert releases include the song with Fischer (and I'm lucky to have caught one myself in Vienna back in 2014), but I'm not sure now if there's one on CD?

But this is what I don't understand. Flashpoint, as an album, is great. But we can't have a second disc that contains those B-sides, and thereby covering everything. Meanwhile, Steel Wheels 2000 seems to favour different performances, which I don't want. Straightforward releases would be heaven.

Most live albums used to be collated from various performances on one, or more, tours.

It was rare that a single entire concert was released.

Nowadays, all sorts of concerts are recorded and filmed for release.

Entire box sets are dedicated to a band's entire output from a particular era (case in point: King Crimson).

At least FLASHPOINT sounds better than STILL LIFE ;)

A fine album! But kinda bummed that it's been almost 10 years since it came out. Wish Gilmour (and many of my other rock and pop heroes from the 70s) released music more often these days.

You know me, guys, there can be only one, and even that one is not that great, but I like it.

1200x1190.jpg

Apparently Steven Wilson, who recently remixed Richard Wright's Wet Dream (recommended - check it out on your streaming service!), is now remixing David Gilmour's debut album. 

Another great album (my cover is different), but again -- it's from 2010. He hasn't released anything since RATTLE THAT LOCK in 2015, except that Ukraine song and another song with his daughter.

Didn't The Orb do a song called 'Little Fluffy Clouds'.

Did Gilmour guest on that?

8 hours ago, A24 said:

Apparently Steven Wilson, who recently remixed Richard Wright's Wet Dream (recommended - check it out on your streaming service!), is now remixing David Gilmour's debut album. 

I've not heard Wilson's remix of WET DREAM, but any Wilson remix is well worth listening to.

What he's done for Yes, King Crimson, and XTC, is astonishing.

I wish he would remix some Floyd. I'm getting a little bored with James Guthrie's style.

Heck, I'd take Elliott Scheiner over Guthrie.

Let It Be has been restored and will premiere on Disney+ in less than a month

GLShhZYXMAAZ24Z?format=jpg&name=large

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Didn't The Orb do a song called 'Little Fluffy Clouds'.

Did Gilmour guest on that?

I've not heard Wilson's remix of WET DREAM, but any Wilson remix is well worth listening to.

What he's done for Yes, King Crimson, and XTC, is astonishing.

I wish he would remix some Floyd. I'm getting a little bored with James Guthrie's style.

Heck, I'd take Elliott Scheiner over Guthrie.

Only guest on Little Fluffy Clouds I know of was Joni Mitchell, who features in a sample talking about her childhood taken from an interview she gave. 

On 16/04/2024 at 5:04 PM, Thor said:

Another great album (my cover is different), but again -- it's from 2010. 

That's because it's a 2023 reimagining of that 2010 album

53 minutes ago, A24 said:

That's because it's a 2023 reimagining of that 2010 album

Yeah, I looked it up. Some A.I. shit experiment. No thanks.

Checking it out further, appears there's a remix version by Paterson himself that predates that A.I. shit. That's slightly more interesting, but still a far cry from a new David Gilmour studio album. 

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I looked it up. Some A.I. shit experiment. No thanks.

AI? No, it's a thorough remix and sounds quite different, dare I say better? The original sounds a bit too much like the third CD from the BR soundtrack.

5 minutes ago, A24 said:

AI? No, it's a thorough remix and sounds quite different, dare I say better?

I assume he is referring to this?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-orb-and-david-gilmour-launch-metallic-spheres-in-colour-ai-global-remix-project-for-fans-301994401.html

11 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ergh! That's terrible. I listened to it once, and that was once too many.

I play it once a year. 

Anybody else already listened to the new Pearl Jam album, that came out just today? 

I was a big fan. And I like the title song well enough. And after first listen I can say, the album is better than the last one. But somehow it seems to me since Gigaton they have given up on originality. But that is also what I thought when I heard Vitology for the first time and now I love that album. 

Time will tell.

I hated Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, you name it, with a passion in the 90s. Grunge was the Antichrist of music when I was a teen, and I still can't appreciate it, all these years later. But I like some things that the respective members have done since. Like Eddie Vedder's "Man of the Hour", as featured on the BIG FISH soundtrack. I'm far more inclusive these days, as far as musical taste is concerned, so maybe I'll give it another shot.

22 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Anybody else already listened to the new Pearl Jam album, that came out just today? 

I was a big fan. And I like the title song well enough. And after first listen I can say, the album is better than the last one. But somehow it seems to me since Gigaton they have given up on originality. But that is also what I thought when I heard Vitology for the first time and now I love that album. 

Time will tell.

Oooh thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.  For me, I'd say

Ten - masterpiece

Vs - masterpiece

Vitalogy - pretty damn great

No Code - ok

Yield - ok

Binaural - ok/meh

Riot Act - ok/meh

Pearl Jam - fanTAStic!  As good as their 90s work? No, of course not.  But among the best rock albums of the 2000s for sure

Backspacer - Pretty damn great too!

Lightning Bolt - Liked the singles and Future Days, don't remember anything else

Gigaton - only listened once, don't remember a thing about it

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

I hated Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, you name it, with a passion in the 90s. Grunge was the Antichrist of music when I was a teen, and I still can't appreciate it, all these years later. But I like some things that the respective members have done since. Like Eddie Vedder's "Man of the Hour", as featured on the BIG FISH soundtrack. I'm far more inclusive these days, as far as musical taste is concerned, so maybe I'll give it another shot.

Maybe you should then listen to Eddie Vedders album of songs for Sean Penn's movie Into the Wild. One of my favourite singer songwriter albums. Great songs.

By the way, for me Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were musically quite different rockbands. 

Nirvana sounded to me at first like a super polished mainstream Imitation of the Pixies, Soundgarden like kind of a LED Zeppelin wannabees, Alice in Chains came rather from that 80s Rock corner and Pearl Jam... I had never heard anything as groovy and emotional in rock music before their debut Ten. I was totally hooked. Probably also because I first heard them live in concert and not on record.

I have someone never managed to catch Pearl Jam live.  Never saw Soundgarden either, though I did see Audioslave a few times

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ten - masterpiece

Vs - masterpiece

Vitalogy - pretty damn great

No Code - ok

Yield - ok

Binaural - ok/meh

Riot Act - ok/meh

Pearl Jam - fanTAStic!  As good as their 90s work? No, of course not.  But among the best rock albums of the 2000s for sure

Backspacer - Pretty damn great too!

Lightning Bolt - Liked the singles and Future Days, don't remember anything else

Gigaton - only listened once, don't remember a thing about it

I think, I almost could subscribe that list. But in the meantime Riot Act is one of my favourites of theirs.

Update after listening twice: Apart from the two first singles the album misses the most important ingredience of a good Rock album: cool guitar riffs.

And the two songs having at least one aren't that great. :(

ab67616d0000b273fdadb6f00f82e979a0c5e813

I remember being incredibly disappointed by this album when it came out in 1996. Power ballads and pop, far removed from the proggy stuff I had come to know and love from MMEB. But over time, I've come to appreciate it for what it is. Chris Thompson's soaring vocals, Mann's little interludes, big melodies, guitars aplenty. It would be the last "official" MMEB album.

I'm off to this on Sunday night - 

Don't Stop Believin' – Show Page – Entertainers

I went last year and had a great night ... nostalgic air-punching singalongs aplenty. Also, I saw The Bowie Experience for the second time earlier in the month and that was also a good time. Got the Pet Shop Boys coming up in June, too.  

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Got the Pet Shop Boys coming up in June, too.  

Oh, man! I would kill to see PSB, again.

I saw them in Cardiff, on the NIGHTLIFE tour, and they were fantastic.

The tour version of 'Being Boring' has become my go-to version (with the possible exception of the Marshall Jefferson remix).

I have a friend and colleague who has seen PSB double-digit amount of times over the years. Personally, I've never seen them even once. Would definitely like to, but right now, it's complete stop in regards to concerts (unless they're free, or I get accreditation or something, in which case it needs to be film music-related only).

9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

In other news...

David Gilmour has a new album, on the way. Released in September, it will be called LUCK AND STRANGE.

Whoa, that slipped past me. And here I was talking earlier about the lack of any new Gilmour in recent years. Thanks for the heads-up!

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, man! I would kill to see PSB, again.

I saw them in Cardiff, on the NIGHTLIFE tour, and they were fantastic.

The tour version of 'Being Boring' has become my go-to version (with the possible exception of the Marshall Jefferson remix).

I last saw them in '91. Good show, as much a theatrical performance as live gig.