The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

I recently discovered this cover of Teardrop.  It isn't as good as the original, but its nice in its own way

On 31/08/2023 at 11:33 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

They got great reviews, at Leeds.

Enjoy.

I certainly did ... their supports were Irish singer-songwriter Cian Ducrot and the legend that is Mr Johnny Marr (who later joined them for a rendition of Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before). Gotta say about Marr's own set ... nice to have the opportunity to hear Smiths classics sung by a ex-band member who HASN'T turned into a massive twat *coughMorrisseycough*.

As for the Killers themselves ... magnificent entertainment. Only thing was I would've liked it to have been a little longer (90 minute set in total). 

53 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Just saw the video of their new single and wasn't impressed.

Not impressed, no. It was… nice enough. And to be fair, nice new Stones in 2023 are still something.

That's a specific retro (80s) style.

BTW, I like (love) some retro '80s sounds, like the LinnDrum 1 and 2, but not those over-the-top gated reverbs. 

uyflpnvq8c47ehshbcij.jpg

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If memory serves, Steve Hackett was the first person to use the LinnDrum on a pop/rock record. Yes, even before The Human League got a sniff.

Moroder and Silvestri were very early too. Silvestri talks a bit about the LinnDrum in my interview, from about 3 minutes.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If memory serves, Steve Hackett was the first person to use the LinnDrum on a pop/rock record. Yes, even before The Human League got a sniff.

That was his keyboard guy Nick Magnus. When a real drummer had to learn the parts for the live concerts, he was impressed with Magnus' drum programming. 

Welcome Aboard is from the same year as Hackett's Cured. Love it! Disco pop, right?!

17 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"The Air Conditioned Nightmare" on CURED, is astonishing.

Today Steve Hackett seems to regret the drum computer on Cured but it was a necessity at the time. 

Steve Hackett: "You’re absolutely right. Strangely enough, I had this same conversation with Bill Bruford around that same time. We each had bands, and even though we were a success on paper, in the bank we were in the red. Suddenly, the Linn [drum computer] seemed like a short-term answer to an awful lot of financial problems. But I still believe that to play with a virtuoso drummer is the ideal situation. Out of the fifty or so albums I’ve done, that’s the one I say “Ouch!” when I look back on it. Not that the record isn’t interesting in other ways, but in terms of production techniques, I have warmed to that record the least."

Saw R.E.M. tribute band Stipe over the weekend ... for the first 45 minutes or so their set was heavy on 'deep cuts', which led to less patient punters leaving (which consequently led to the band playing Losing My Religion earlier than they'd intended). The hits did come along, people should've waited. 

Band made it clear early on that Shiny Happy People was not going to be played (echoing, of course, how R.E.M. themselves came to view the track). 

But The One I Love, Near Wild Heaven, What's The Frequency Kenneth?, Everybody Hurts, Imitation Of Life, The Great Beyond, Leaving New York, Man On The Moon (and others) all were. 

Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards were invited to 54, by Grace Jones. Unfortunately, she forgot to tell the man at the door that they were showing up. Consequently, they were not allowed in.

In response, they went away, and wrote a song that had the refrain "Fuck off!".

Eventually, this turned into "Freak out", and a dance classic was born.

I'm really late to the party on this one, but YouTube only now recommended this to me...