The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

:thumbup:  :lovethis:  :woop:  :rock:  etc., etc.

SIGNALS is my absolute favourite Rush record, and it has been since Monday 13th September, 1982, when it was released in the UK.

Really, it should be the 41st anniversary, but what's a year between Rush fans, eh? :)

I. Can't. Wait!

On 05/04/2023 at 8:44 PM, A Farewell to Kings said:

Didn't know where to put this, so here it is:

A year ago, Spitfire Audio got a similar tour.

• 1 month later...

So Ben Folds's new album, What Matters Most, is coming out in just a few days - and I still haven't ordered it because as usual, there's also a deluxe edition with extra tracks, but only the normal edition is getting a regular release. Much as I like him for his music and his general artistic mindset, Folds is pretty much the worst when it comes to fairly making all the music available to everyone (notable exception: When he released Stems & Seeds as a regular album with remixed tracks from Way to Normal plus all the bonus tracks plus the fake leak tracks plus the raw stem files). Anyone know where I could get the deluxe edition (and for a reasonable price)?

On 30/05/2023 at 8:26 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

So Ben Folds's new album, What Matters Most, is coming out in just a few days - and I still haven't ordered it because as usual, there's also a deluxe edition with extra tracks, but only the normal edition is getting a regular release. Much as I like him for his music and his general artistic mindset, Folds is pretty much the worst when it comes to fairly making all the music available to everyone (notable exception: When he released Stems & Seeds as a regular album with remixed tracks from Way to Normal plus all the bonus tracks plus the fake leak tracks plus the raw stem files). Anyone know where I could get the deluxe edition (and for a reasonable price)?

My limited edition (with signed insert - I feel so special) arrived today, with 3 bonus tracks, a few tracks in, really enjoying it.  His first solo album since So There (2015) and with BFF since The Sound of the Life of the Mind (2013). How has it been that long since a Ben Folds album?! Who does he think he is, Randy Newman?! ;-)

5 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Who does he think he is, Randy Newman?! ;-)

For what it's worth, I've long considered Folds to be Randy Newman TNG.

Did you order the autographed edition from his official store?

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Interesting, I always describe him as Elton John with more swearing - his musical (and pianistic) style seems much closer to Elty than Randy (I didn't originally realise that Tiny Dancer wasn't a Ben Folds song, so much does it sound like a BF number). Funnily enough, I don't actually love Elton John all that much, not actually dislike, just less engaged by his stuff than I expect.

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Did you order the autographed edition from his official store?

Yup, the one with the three extra tracks which, frankly, should just be on the regular version as they are just as good as the rest and, frankly the historic LP based album layout of 10 or 11 tracks totalling about 45 minutes seems a weird anathema these days (not that I think song writers should just fill space, but hey, if you've got a dozen/13 songs that you like, just put them on the damn album!). Still, a very enjoyable album which tonally feels closer to Lonely Avenue than the grungier sound of The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind. It's certainly a much more low key, less rocky Ben Folds sound which, I guess as he's now squarely in middle age, is appropriate!

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Interesting, I always describe him as Elton John with more swearing - his musical (and pianistic) style seems much closer to Elty than Randy (I didn't originally realise that Tiny Dancer wasn't a Ben Folds song, so much does it sound like a BF number). Funnily enough, I don't actually love Elton John all that much, not actually dislike, just less engaged by his stuff than I expect.

I don't know much Elton John either. I suppose Folds himself might feel much closer to him; I've also found hardly anything about a potential connection between Folds on Newman in my Google searches (I think one positive comment about Newman was all I came up with last time). To me it's the way both are primarily singer/songwriter pianists (also emphasis on the primarily), and how Folds also has lots of songs that follow the Newman pattern of narrating a song from the POV of a shady or unlikable character, but leaving it to the audience to "get" that (not that it's hard to get, although Newman has had his share of problems with reception - see Short People). Bitch Went Nutz (the fake leak one) is pure Newman, content wise, although musically clearly Folds (one of my favourites of his, and one of my reasons for getting annoyed when he makes bonus tracks exclusive and hard to find, because it shows that his "extra material" can be some of his best; I was so happy when he played that in Vienna).

17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Peter Gabriel was turning into Randy Newman 2.0, by the time that US came along. UP cemented that, a lot of the stuff on I/O seems to be going the same way.

On 9/3/2023 at 9:03 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

I hope things Bono's been saying about the next U2 album being a 'noisy, unreasonable and uncompromising' guitar thing come to fruition. Be great to hear the Edge cutting loose again a la The Fly, Hold Me Thrill Me ... , The Miracle Of Joey Ramone etc.  

Yes, I’d love something with the rawness of Like a Song, or the controlled fury of Bullet the Blue Sky, but they’ve been in their Heal the World phase for a while now, I’m not sure they can pull it off. I don’t hate their new stuff, Songs if Innocence is a top 5 U2 album for me, but this would be quite a shift.

22 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't know much Elton John either. I suppose Folds himself might feel much closer to him; I've also found hardly anything about a potential connection between Folds on Newman in my Google searches (I think one positive comment about Newman was all I came up with last time). To me it's the way both are primarily singer/songwriter pianists (also emphasis on the primarily), and how Folds also has lots of songs that follow the Newman pattern of narrating a song from the POV of a shady or unlikable character, but leaving it to the audience to "get" that (not that it's hard to get, although Newman has had his share of problems with reception - see Short People). Bitch Went Nutz (the fake leak one) is pure Newman, content wise, although musically clearly Folds (one of my favourites of his, and one of my reasons for getting annoyed when he makes bonus tracks exclusive and hard to find, because it shows that his "extra material" can be some of his best; I was so happy when he played that in Vienna).

I can see what you mean in terms of BF and RN both doing character songs, although tonally (both musically and lyrically) they are quite a distance apart. Funnily enough, there's a recent article about 10 piano albums BF thinks you should own, Randy and Elty get one each (https://consequence.net/2023/06/ben-folds-favorite-albums-crate-digging/3/). As I only have the greatest hits for Elty (outside of his film/theatre work), I have no idea if that's what I'd pick, although not sure I'd have made the same choice for Randy - guess I'd probably have gone for Good Old Boys (although I listen to others more often), but in fairness you can't go wrong when picking a Randy Newman album.

2 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Yes, I’d love something with the rawness of Like a Song, or the controlled fury of Bullet the Blue Sky, but they’ve been in their Heal the World phase for a while now, I’m not sure they can pull it off. I don’t hate their new stuff, Songs if Innocence is a top 5 U2 album for me, but this would be quite a shift.

Bullet The Blue Sky is terrific. Have long thought it sounds like the soundtrack to the Apocalypse.  

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Funnily enough, there's a recent article about 10 piano albums BF thinks you should own, Randy and Elty get one each (https://consequence.net/2023/06/ben-folds-favorite-albums-crate-digging/3/).

Interesting list. The only album I have from it is the Regina Spektor one.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Interesting list. The only album I have from it is the Regina Spektor one.

The only one I have is, as you may guess, the Randy Newman one! According to iTunes I've only ever listened to it once... although I'm sure I listened to it many more times before iTunes. The live RN album I have listened to more often is the Live in London album with the BBC Concert Orchestra which is terrific. Wish I'd been able to go to it (can't recall why I didn't offhand!).

38 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The only one I have is, as you may guess, the Randy Newman one! According to iTunes I've only ever listened to it once... although I'm sure I listened to it many more times before iTunes. The live RN album I have listened to more often is the Live in London album with the BBC Concert Orchestra which is terrific. Wish I'd been able to go to it (can't recall why I didn't offhand!).

I do have Live in London. I'd love to see him live with an orchestra (or at least a band) someday. I've seen him live twice - once at Hollywood in Vienna, where the orchestra was performing his film music, but Newman himself did Feels Like Home solo on the piano, and once on his solo piano tour (with a preview of Putin). There's something same-y in his piano arrangements after a while, I think; perhaps because he relies more on the additional instrumentation for details. I've only rarely played the three Songbook albums for that reason. In contrast, I find Folds's solo piano album more interesting; I suppose his more extroverted style also helps there (and his improvisational genius).

ab67616d0000b273bbb72b5a2e728bbeae79a13c

A shame this 1970 debut album of my alltime favourite band never really lit up the bandstands. It's an amazing psychedelia/prog album that today stands the test of time.

And on to...

ab67616d0000b2738b63e851e588e106ae782a73

If I ever only could bring 10 discs to a desert island, this would be one of them. A masterpiece like none other in the history of music.

(Interestingly, I never read the liner notes much, so I don't know if the Debussy-ian "The Fall of the House of Usher" parts, especially the prelude, are pure Powell, or if Woolfson/Parsons had anything to say).

11 hours ago, Thor said:

ab67616d0000b2738b63e851e588e106ae782a73

If I ever only could bring 10 discs to a desert island, this would be one of them. A masterpiece like none other in the history of music.

(Interestingly, I never read the liner notes much, so I don't know if the Debussy-ian "The Fall of the House of Usher" parts, especially the prelude, are pure Powell, or if Woolfson/Parsons had anything to say).

My favorite APP album. Yes, the orchestral Powell piece (which I love) borrows heavily from Debussy's The Fall Of The House Of Usher, but undoes itself from the opera aspects, and so it's a major improvement. ;)

It begs the question, did Andrew Powell ever write something in the contemporary classical domain, other than this?

Apart from LADYHAWKE, Powell scored ROCKET GIBRALTAR.

According to Wikipedia, two standalone pieces called LIVING STONES were premièred in 2007, and 2008.

For all his work with APP, in music history, he'll be remembered as the man who produced "Wuthering Heights".

It must, however, be said that several works written for “The Alan Parsons Project”, such as the Intermezzo & Fall of the House of Usher from the Tales of Mystery album, and Total Eclipse from the “I Robot” album, were really “classical” pieces, fully scored for large orchestra and choir and with no concessions to their “rock” environment. It wasn’t until Equale Brass commissioned a work in 1985 that he finally managed to complete something - the Suite for Brass Quintet with Piano, first performed in Cardiff at the University Concert Hall in 1986. Because of “rock” and film commitments, it was to be some time before he finished another work - Falstaff for brass band, commissioned by Peter Bassano and first performed at the Cité de la Musique in Paris in 1998: well received by the Daily Telegraph’s critic.  From then onwards, there was a more regular flow of concert music, as he retreated from the commercial world. The catalogue of works speaks for itself here.

More at:

https://www.andrewpowell.com/concerts.htm

23 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

For me, nothing matches the sheer raw, screaming power, of U2's first three records, especially WAR, which is my personal favourite U2 album.

Likely my favourite performance of a track from it is the version of Sunday Bloody Sunday that's in Rattle And Hum ... the band had heard about the IRA bombing of the Enniskillen Remembrance Day ceremony shortly before taking the stage, and Bono's anger during the mid-song anecdote/rant is thrillingly righteous. The moment when his voice cracks while leading the crowd in a chant of 'No more' is immensely moving.  

13 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Thor, it's definitely, Andrew Powell's work.

I like SUPERTRAMP. The cover is a bit weird, but it's a lot more acceptable than the cover of INDELIBLY STAMPED.

Went and Googled said Supertramp album ... hmm. Boobies I like, heavily-tattooed ladies not so much. 

On 03/06/2023 at 3:14 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I do have Live in London. I'd love to see him live with an orchestra (or at least a band) someday. I've seen him live twice - once at Hollywood in Vienna, where the orchestra was performing his film music, but Newman himself did Feels Like Home solo on the piano, and once on his solo piano tour (with a preview of Putin). There's something same-y in his piano arrangements after a while, I think; perhaps because he relies more on the additional instrumentation for details. I've only rarely played the three Songbook albums for that reason. In contrast, I find Folds's solo piano album more interesting; I suppose his more extroverted style also helps there (and his improvisational genius).

I've seen him at least twice, if not three times, in London with just him and the piano each time, as I recall. I know what you mean, his piano arrangements are relatively straightforward, but guess that's part of his aesthetic. I was meant to be seeing Randy earlier in the year (think we may have discussed this previously), but he had to cancel due to ongoing back issues. Second time he's had to cancel as was meant to see him in Dublin a few years ago (still had a lovely trip to Ireland!).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The period between 1974 and 1978 saw a fruitful collaboration between Charles Aznavour and arranger Del Newman. Working hand in hand, they created unique and memorable musical arrangements that showcased Aznavour's powerful and emotive voice. Del Newman, renowned for his talent as an arranger and conductor, brought a new dimension to Aznavour's songs during this period. Their collaboration resulted in bold and innovative arrangements that enriched Aznavour's repertoire. Some iconic titles from this time include "She," "Yesterday When I Was Young," and "The Old Fashioned Way," which benefited from Del Newman's expertise in magnifying the emotions conveyed by the songs. This collaboration left an indelible mark on the history of music, making it a reference for fans and music enthusiasts worldwide. It allowed Charles Aznavour to continue captivating audiences with his unique voice and timeless songs, while exploring new artistic horizons, showcasing his vision and openness to innovation throughout his exceptional career.

Peut être une image de 1 personne et textePeut être une image de 1 personnePeut être une image en noir et blanc de 1 personnePeut être une image de 1 personnePeut être une image de 1 personne et monumentPeut être une image de 1 personne et textePeut être une image de textePeut être une image de 1 personne et textePeut être une image de 1 personne

Cold sands of time
(Winds that blow cold as ice
Sounds that come in the night)
Shall hide what is left of me
(Come from Paradise)

Even though 'Tales Of Mystery and Imagination' is my favorite APP album, I never wondered who is singing what (they usually work with guest singers anyway), but could it be that the backing vocals part (see above) from 'To One In Paradise' is sung by none other than Woolfson and Parsons themselves?

4988031400739.webp

7 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Cold sands of time
(Winds that blow cold as ice
Sounds that come in the night)
Shall hide what is left of me
(Come from Paradise)

Even though 'Tales Of Mystery and Imagination' is my favorite AAP album, I never wondered who is singing what (they usually work with guest singers anyway), but could it be that the backing vocals part (see above) from 'To One In Paradise' is sung by none other than Woolfson and Parsons themselves?

Yes, it is. Lead vocal otherwise by Terry Sylvester.

4 minutes ago, AC1 said:

For what it's worth, I always immediately recognize Lenny Zakatek.

Sure. John Miles, Eric Stewart and Colin Blunstone too. As well as Woolfson himself, of course.

I also recognize his new vocalist-of-choice, P.J. Olsson, but I'm not thrilled with his singing style.

Decided to rebuild a small, and very selective, set of pop music albums. I just got the ‘87 Abby Road and will get Graceland next. I want to keep it to 25 or so. Outside of In Rainbows and Illinoise, I don’t see anything from my more formative years making the cut.

I forgot about Gordon. Barenaked Ladies were very important to me at one time, and that album is still fantastic.

23 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

GRACELAND is Simon's masterpiece

It's between that and So Beautiful, or So What, but the production is just better on Graceland. 

Gated reverbs are so '80s!

I can feel it coming in the air tonight ... POW POW   POW POW   POW POW   POW POW   POW POW POW!

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I don't look forward to the time in my life when they're not, lol.  

Well, They've never been the same since Page left. Ed Robertson is a fine songwriter, but it was the two of them together that made it work. I still love their music, but it's not central to my identity the way it was when I was in high school. When the bands we liked were a shorthand for personality.