The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

I wish a happy July 14th to all the French people at heart and in spirit!

🇫🇷🎉🎆🥖🍷🕺💃

21 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Well, They've never been the same since Page left. Ed Robertson is a fine songwriter, but it was the two of them together that made it work. I still love their music, but it's not central to my identity the way it was when I was in high school. When the bands we liked were a shorthand for personality.

Ah ... I was doing a gag about the other sort of 'Barenaked Ladies'.  

Graceland is probably my favourite rock/pop album by an artist I'm not otherwise into (no slight on Paul Simon at all). Probably help that Terry Wogan used to play Call Me Al, Graceland and Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes on almost constant rotation when I was at uni (I like Prefab Sprout for similar reasons). I nabbed Graceland from my dad's eclectic collection and have loved it ever since. I enjoyed the follow up, Rhythm of the Saints but it doesn't quite capture the lightning in the bottle of Graceland. I even got the anniversary re-release which is mixed a bit hotter than the original and sounds great to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a1592091934-65.jpg

Well, whaddayaknow?! I like a very recent pop/rock album. Oh wait! Even though it's all new songs, it's a nostalgic and old throwback album to the melodic folk/pop/rock music of the late sixties. Heck, even some of the songs could have been Carpenters classics. Anyway, 7/10. And thank you amazon music for suggesting it to me.

Not sure where to put this - a soundtrack thread, a Disney thread, maybe even the jazz thread? But as it's a song, maybe this thread is a reasonably common denominator. Anyway, excellent cover:

The last time we talked about Richard Wright's first solo album, it wasn't available on CD, but it is now! Remixed by Steven Wilson. Both the original mix and remix only available on the Blu-ray release.

cover-2.jpg

New cover (thereby replacing the original design by Hipgnosis)

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I like this, but I prefer BROKEN CHINA.

Oh, definitely. But WET DREAM is great. I wasn't aware it had been reissued on CD. Need to get it, then. I think the Zee/Identity album (which is very uneven) was also recently reissued on CD?

I wish Rick had written a solo film score, as his style would be very suited to it. But alas, that never happened. Only film scores with Pink Floyd.

Are you partial to any other Steven Wilson mixes, Alex?

His work with XTC, King Crimson, Tears For Fears, Tull, Marillion, The Dukes Of Stratosfear, Yes, and Gentle Giant is remarkable.

I really, really want to hear RAGE IN EDEN, and QUARTET in 5.1, and I can't wait to hear what he does with WHO'S NEXT.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

His work with XTC, King Crimson, Tears For Fears, Tull, Marillion, The Dukes Of Stratosfear, Yes, and Gentle Giant is remarkable.

I really, really want to hear RAGE IN EDEN, and QUARTET in 5.1, and I can't wait to hear what he does with WHO'S NEXT.

I only listened to his mixes for Close To The Edge and Relayer. They are interesting but I'm too used to the originals so I'm constantly missing 'something'. I didn't have that problem with Richard Wright, but then again, that recording isn't etched in my memory as much as the Yes albums.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What TfF did he do?

31 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Indeed, @Signals, and while we're on the subject... why do you have a Jars Of Clay avatar?

Honestly just to see if/how long I could get away with it.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I didn't know the Porcupine Tree guy was remixing other people's albums

The remixer is how I know him better. I listened to a solo album from Steven Wilson but it wasn't for me. 

4 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Does the Focal logo (French speakers and headphones company) remind you of something?

Nothing comes immediately to mind?

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

The remixer is how I know him better. I listened to a solo album from Steven Wilson but it wasn't for me. 

And I haven't even checked out his solo albums yet! 

On 18/08/2023 at 1:06 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Apparently, OMD's new (and supposedly probably last) album, Bauhaus Staircase, is coming out in a couple of days:

Only the single so far:

Full album scheduled for 27 October:

And a new Rolling Stones album teased, too:
_130877074_f4eq727xmaasye7.jpg.webp

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66592170