The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Anyone here properly into boy bands, though? Now's the time to confess!

I remember back in the late 80s/early 90s, when classmates were raving over New Kids on the Block, I listened to 70s prog rock and Elvis Presley, LOL! So out-of-tune. New Kids had a couple of good songs, though, as did NSYNC. Other than that, that's an arena I was never into. Much like the grunge scene.

48 minutes ago, Thor said:

I remember back in the late 80s/early 90s, when classmates were raving over New Kids on the Block, I listened to 70s prog rock and Elvis Presley, LOL! So out-of-tune. New Kids had a couple of good songs, though, as did NSYNC. Other than that, that's an arena I was never into. Much like the grunge scene.

If I remember right Silverchair started as Kind of a grunge boy band. They were about 14 years old, when they started.

Well, The Beatles should count. 

I wouldn't call myself a boy band devotee but I was a Backstreet Boys kid, l still like a few of theirs. My favorite trivia is that the bass of "The Call" is a sample of one of the boy's farts which you can't unhear. Catchy Max Martin chorus. 

Totally unfamiliar with boy band stuff since the early aughts but was listening to a podcast which shouted out "Little Black Dress" by One Direction as a counter against boy band prejudice, arguing that it pretty much sounded like a Big Star song taken on its own. Not bad. 

ab67616d0000b2737d8364ea788cef31e0a3a514

Not quite rock/pop, but anyway. I absolutely adore the Artemiev/SOLARIS elements of the album, but can't get into the experimental 'sound design' bits. So I've made a playlist with just the beautiful bits, resulting in a gorgeous 31-minute album. Yes, it's a bit of a controversial thing to do, since the two elements are supposed to play off of one another, but there you go.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I'll grudgingly admit that boy/girl bands have had the odd good tune here and there, but overall their 'manufactured' nature rubs me the wrong way. 

As someone who never really got into pop or rock music, boy bands passed me by, despite the obvious visual attraction for a gay teenager… then again, I have had Want You Back by Take That going round my head recently. It’s either that or the main theme from Hellraiser. Which is quite a pairing.

Sir Brian May was involved in retrieving the asteroid samples collected by OSIRIS-REx:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/25/world/brian-may-osiris-rex-asteroid-sample-bennu-scn-intl-scli/index.html

Am off tonight to a 40th anniversary remastered screening of Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense. Have never seen it before, but its status as the best concert movie ever intrigues me. 

I have a DVD of it that was given away with a newspaper, but have never got around to watching it. Bought the CD earlier this week and have given it a few plays in order to familiarise myself with the tracks that weren't single releases. .    

ab67616d0000b27328f2d37a40fffb08c38e5204

Trying to replicate my old cassettes (those that I managed to save after my parents moved house a couple of years ago; they sadly threw a lot of them unbeknownst to me). This one, I had as an ORIGINAL cassette, and managed to save. Lovely album; with slightly "slicker" production values than their early stuff, and focussing more on Caribbean-type sounds.

On 29/09/2023 at 10:53 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Am off tonight to a 40th anniversary remastered screening of Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense. Have never seen it before, but its status as the best concert movie ever intrigues me. 

I have a DVD of it that was given away with a newspaper, but have never got around to watching it. Bought the CD earlier this week and have given it a few plays in order to familiarise myself with the tracks that weren't single releases. .    

Funny, I just listened to David Byrne's LAST EMPEROR material yesterday, and -- being a relative Talking Heads noobie (sorry to say) -- decided to check out some of their stuff on Spotify. Lots more to explore.

59 minutes ago, Thor said:

... being a relative Talking Heads noobie (sorry to say) -- decided to check out some of their stuff on Spotify. Lots more to explore.

Start with LITTLE CREATURES.

It's not their best (that would be REMAIN IN LIGHT) but it is their most commercial.

19 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Start with LITTLE CREATURES.

It's not their best (that would be REMAIN IN LIGHT) but it is their most commercial.

Thanks for the recommendation! Will do.

Now on to another from my ancient cassette collection, now reacquired digitally (I have both 1 and 2 on ORIGINAL cassettes):

ab67616d0000b2731e9933e02b263e5eb290e3bb

38 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Great stuff!

Piano Concerto No. 1 is absolutely brilliant, and totally belies its rock music origin. 

A very accomplished piece of work.

Indeed it is.

Both volumes clock in at 2 hours and 12 minutes combined, so it's a staggering work to get through. But oh so wonderful. Probably the most experimental a wee kid could get through at the time.

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You've obviously never sat through a double bill of THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY, and TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS :lol:

He, he. No, I came to LAMB much later, as a seasoned, old teenager (but prior to 20). What was the strangest record you listened to as a wee, pre-teenage kid?

ab67616d0000b273a7865e686c36a4adda6c9978

Iconic album, not much to say -- other than that I had this on a cassette copy and listened to it a lot in my formative years.

By the way, here are a few photos of my cassette walkthrough at the moment, including hand drawn covers of some things:

kassett1.JPG

kassett2.JPG

kassett3.JPG

kassett4.JPG

It has a ton of discs but compared to the slew of extras these big anniversary Super Deluxes generally get, it's pretty disappointing:

CD1 – THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON (50th Anniversary) [2023 Master]

CD2 – THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON LIVE AT WEMBLEY EMPIRE POOL, LONDON, 1974

LP1 – THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON (50th Anniversary) [2023 Master]

LP2 – THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

BLU-RAY 1 (AUDIO)
Original album 5.1 and high-resolution remastered stereo mixes,
1. 5.1 Surround Mix – 24bit/96kHz Uncompressed
2. Stereo Mix – 24bit/192kHz Uncompressed
3. 5.1 Surround Mix – dts-HD MA
4. Stereo Mix – dts-HD MA

BLU-RAY 2 (AUDIO)
Original newly remastered album Atmos and high-resolution stereo mixes,
1. Dolby Atmos Mix
2. Stereo Mix – 24-bit/192kHz Uncompressed
3. Stereo Mix – dts-HD MA

DVD (AUDIO)
Original album 5.1 and remastered stereo mixes,
1. 5.1 Surround Mix – Dolby Digital @448 kbps
2. 5.1 Surround Mix – Dolby Digital @640 kbps
3. Stereo Mix (LPCM) – 24-bit/48 kHz Uncompressed

So absolutely nothing but the original album and a live recording, copypasted over every format.

On 05/10/2023 at 11:47 AM, Thor said:

I have that too, given to me by my dad. I also have the CD, of course, one of those remastered 90s ones. I think there are few homes out there that DON'T have DSOTM in one shape or form.

Mine doesn't. I'm not the biggest Pink Floyd fan, and prefer The Wall, honestly, but I've gotten to the point where I don't really like all these super deluxe expanded editions. The remastering is often of debatable quality, and a lot of music was left off of albums for a reason. I had all the expanded U2 sets, and sold them.

That's fine. Most of my Pink Floyd CDs are first or second generation releases too. They do the trick for me; I don't need endless reissues.

Sad to see him in such a state (the illness makes him look 20 years older than what he actually is), but I hope he's able to rest on his laurels a little bit. He's deserved it.

Mine should arrive next week (Amazon has charged it already, but not shipped it yet). But reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive, so I'm looking forward to it. The way I see it, even a merely solid Stones album in 2023 would be worth it.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Mine should arrive next week (Amazon has charged it already, but not shipped it yet). But reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive, so I'm looking forward to it. The way I see it, even a merely solid Stones album in 2023 would be worth it.

Vinyl or CD?

I haven't actually ordered it in physical format. Just listening on Spotify.