• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Quintus

The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

3316 posts in this topic

You mean a pedophile? I don't really care about personal lives of celebrities. Tom Cruise, I don't care what he does as long as he continues to be a great actor, same thing with Mel Gibson.

You mean a pedophile? I don't really care about personal lives of celebrities. Tom Cruise, I don't care what he does as long as he continues to be a great actor, same thing with Mel Gibson.

There's a difference, Mel is just an anti-semite and Tom is just a closet-gay freak. Nothing wrong with either of that

But Michael....

Naaah Michael's ok.. just a washed out shadow of his greater self, that suffers from loss of realism.

But I really can't care less what he did in the Never-Neverland-Ranch!

he has made great music which I am very fond of

I also don't care what George does at his SkyGuy Ranch.. I love what he has done.. well to a rather great extend atleast!

I'm not really a fan of rock. And that piece had no tune.

Put it this way, I like 'I Wanna Rock' (can't remember who it's by) as appeared in Road Trip, because you can hum the main melody.

I see Damien Rice's 9 in your playlist. I just ordered that.

I prefer Uncle Ben's....

I'm not really a fan of rock. And that piece had no tune.

Ooo you're wrong! You are in the UK I believe? Well if you listen to the radio much you will hear it a lot - it's being promoted big time. After a few listens the strong melody will present itself to you. That's a promise.

As with any musical genre it can sometimes take time before the 'tune' makes sense, more so when it's not something we would not normally listen to.

UK: yes

Radio: only in the car on the way to work. If Chris Moyles plays it between 9 and 9.30am, I might hear it :blink:

But I'll give it another listen.

Moyles plays it all the time, but he's on holiday again. Scott Mills is covering. But yeah, its on the Radio 1 playlist.

My tastes are jumping around a bit at the moment.

`

Did you already listen to O? A lot of people prefer that one, but I like them both equally.

I have O, I always wanted to hear the other one. :)

I prefer Uncle Ben's....

You're mixing up your genetives.

Put it this way, I like 'I Wanna Rock' (can't remember who it's by) as appeared in Road Trip, because you can hum the main melody.

Good song. You should check out Goofy Goober Rock, the version used in the Spongebob movie :)

Recently I've been giving Rodrigo Y Gabriela a listen, fantastic duo with some of the best guitar work I've ever heard. However, they aren't very popular.

Lately I've been addicted to 1000 Nights by Alphabeat.

The whole thing is endlessly hummable and the singing is really good too.

Lol I've heard that song a million times on Radio 1, its a pretty good feel good tune.

song is not only seriously catchy, but a great dance track to boot. I LOVE the video. Its out next month and I predict it will be huge in the clubs. Really good lyrics too.

Anyone heard

Snow Patrol cover by Leona Lewis. If this girl's voice doesn't blow you away, well...

Better than the original.

That is nice. I love really pure voices. Unfortunately I cant find the song anywhere, both legal and...otherwise.

Thanks for the Sontata Arctica recommendation btw Wesker. I'd grown very attached to 'Shamandalie' - the lead is an amazing singer.

My most recent discovery was a few Rob Dougan instrumental tracks - Speed Me Towards Death and Will You Follow Me?. The former was used yesterday on Top Gear to amazing effect. Those editors have phenomenal taste.

So listening to Zeppelin A-Z on 94.7 The Globe on Friday made me realize there are many great Zeppelin songs I don't own. I recently got a $5 reward zone certificate from Best Buy (for some odd reason, since I haven't boughten anything from them for months), and I'm thinking of going out and buying some Zeppelin CD's.

I own Early Days & Latter Days, but I want some actual albums. Does anyone have any recommendations?

September's new song Because I Love You is very catchy. Heard it on the radio on the way home on Friday and immediately bought the jazz/acoustic version. I also like Satellites. She seems to have a gift for good melodies, as well as a good voice. An artist I'll definitely be watching out for.

So listening to Zeppelin A-Z on 94.7 The Globe on Friday made me realize there are many great Zeppelin songs I don't own. I recently got a $5 reward zone certificate from Best Buy (for some odd reason, since I haven't boughten anything from them for months), and I'm thinking of going out and buying some Zeppelin CD's.

I own Early Days & Latter Days, but I want some actual albums. Does anyone have any recommendations?

LED ZEPPELIN IV (aka FOUR SYMBOLS) should be first on the list. Followed closely by THE HOUSES OF THE HOLY, LED ZEPPELIN III and LED ZEPPELIN. After that, they're all good, but those MUST be bought first.

Yeah, I didn't realize they only have a handful of albums. There's a box set on Amazon for $70, and also one that was just released a couple weeks ago that includes all their albums, but that's a hefty $125.

Charlie's list is correct, and I would put Led Zeppelin II on that must-buy list. Basically, their first five albums were their best, though Physical Grafitti had a few standouts. Led Zeppelin is a band that must be listened to as albums; I don't like the way their greatest hits compilations mix up the order of the songs. So many of their songs work best when they follow each other as intended by the original album.

Sidebar, and this is mostly for Koray: We all know that FLAC provides a clearer sound over MP3 for soundtracks, and I'd extend that to classical music, too. Do you also record your rock CDs in FLAC format, too?

I'm one of them, and everything I rip is ripped to FLAC. When I download stuff (I buy much more than I download though), I try to get FLAC, too.

Okay, so I'm considering getting THIS.

It's a definitive box set for Zeppelin. I've looked over their individual albums, and I think I have all their best songs already, but I really want this set. It's very expensive though. My dad offered to get me a new radio for my car, since mine is strictly just a radio, no CD player, cassette, nothing. I think I'd rather have this.

However, there is also THIS box set. It's half the price, and only has 2 discs less music. Perhaps Wojo or any other classic rock aficionado could give their 2 cents.

Well, the extra money is just for cardboard facsimiles of the original LP artwork. It would still be the same music content, it all depends on if you value your discs coming in cardboard sleeves with little paper sleeves like the original records would be found in. Personally, I would soon move them to jewel cases or a CD binder anyways, or rip them to my computer and listen to the CD-Rs to keep the originals from being scratched. Especially for being such a pricey investment either way you cut it. Both sets claim to be remastered and have good sound; the cheaper set is what Jimmy Page did a few years back, and the more expensive set is a Japanese import. It's not even listed at Zep's main site.

The two extra discs of the Definitive set are the album "The Song Remains The Same", which is confirmed at buyzillion.com. This album was a double live concert from MSG in July 1973. I wonder why they include that live concert, but not the BBC Sessions or How the West Was Won.

If all you want is the music, I'd go with the $71 set. Nine studio albums = 10 CDs because PG was a two-disc album. Enough trips to Walmart and you can find each album remastered for $10 or less at Walmart, but do the math and that's $100, not $71. You can pick up TSRTS for another $20 or so at Amazon or FYE. Happy investing!

On a serious Bob Dylan kick, here are a few things of note (for me, at least):

I stumbled across an album from a singer named Beth Rowley who is (a) a stone-cold fox and (b) a terrific soul singer and © apparently a Dylan fan. Her album Little Dreamer includes a lovely reggae-style cover of "I Shall Be Released" (a great song that has been covered so many times that you'd think there was no way it could ever sound fresh agai, but doggone if she doesn't mnage it). It also has a cover of "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground," a Dylan b-side that was more famously recorded by Willie Nelson. Her take on this song is also lovely, although it's somewhat marred by the presence of a male singer whose vocal talents are patently inferior to Rowley's, and therefore an unwelcome distraction. But the real gem on this record (amongst the three Dylan covers, at least) is "Almost Persuaded," a song from Dylan's gospel period that, to my knowledge, he never recorded or even performed live. It's a damn good song, and Rowley does justice to it. She's a singer to keep an eye on.

I have also been listening to the soundtrack to I'm Not There, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite albums of the past few years. There are a few misses, but mostly, this thing is chock fulla hits:

"All Along the Watchtower" (Eddie Vedder and The Million Dollar Bashers): Vedder's rough voice is very well-suited to this song. No version (including Dylan's) will ever top the Hendrix version, but this one is another of the good attempts.

"I'm Not There" (Sonic Youth): Languidly intense (weird, I know) version of a true obscurity. I've never been much of a Sonic Youth fan, but this song is terrific.

"Goin' to Acapulco" (Jim James and Calexico): Never one of my favorite Dylan songs, this cover is so good that it imroes my opinion of the original, which this improves upon. Haunting stuff, although I'll admit that a lot of that is due to how well it's used in the movie.

"Tombstone Blues" (Richie Havens): Havens is in fine form on this one.

"Ballad of a Thin Man" (Stephen Malkmus and The Million Dollar Bashers): Another standout scene in the film, and this is one of Dylan's very best songs ... this is an intense, satisfying take on it, but it's nowhere near as good as Dylan's.

"Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" (Cat Power): I don't know Cat Power, but I dig her name. This is a pretty good cover.

"Pressing On" (John Doe): Absolutely the standout song of this entire set, it's an instant classic. Dylan's gospel period is steadily gaining in acclaim, and Doe's cover will only help that. I'd definitely say it's amongst the best songs I've heard recently.

"Fourth Time Around" (Yo La Tengo): Good, gentle version of a lovely Dylan classic.

"Dark Eyes" (Iron & Wine and Calexico): One of the more radically different takes on Dylan to be found on these two discs, it's also one of the better.

"Highway 61 Revisited" (Karen O and The Million Dollar Bashers): One of Dylan's bluesiest, kick-assest rock songs, this is a pretty good version of it.

"One More Cup of Coffee" (Roger McGuinn and Calexico): I'm not a big McGuinn fan to begin with, and his vocals on this cover are completely devoid of the intense passion Dylan sang the song with on Desire; this one is one of the worst covers on the abum.

"The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" (Mason Jennings): One of my favorite Dylan songs, this take on it is merely okay.

"Billy 1" (Los Lobos): Good, very straightforward cover of a good song frmo Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, which also spawned "Knockin' on Heaven's Door."

"Simple Twist of Fate" (Jeff Tweedy): Great song, decent cover.

"Man in the Long Black Coat" (Mark Lanegan): Another highlight of the album. Lanegan's version might be even better than Dylan's; it's absolutely haunting.

"Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)" (Willie Nelson and Calexico): Nelson and Calexico do a terrific job with this song; it feels like more of an epic than it ever has.

"As I Went Out One Morning" (Mira Billotte): Very good.

"Can't Leave Her Behind" (Stephen Malkmus and Lee Ranaldo): This is an obscurity known only to people who know Dylan bootlegs. It's a song Dylan apparently just came up with on the spot in a hotel room; it's not a great one, but for a toss-off, it's pretty damn good.

"Ring Them Bells" (Sifjan Stevens): Yuck. The first part of this one is okay, but it turns into crap when Stevens tries to spice it up toward the end. I'd love to hear John Doe do this one.

"Just Like A Woman" (Charlotte Gainsbourg and Calexico): Gainsbourg is a decent singer for this type of song; she gives it a slightly more tragic reading than a lot of other people who've covered it.

"Mama, You've Been On My Mind" (Jack Johnson): It's another of my favorite Dylan songs, and Johnson does okay by it, also throwing in some lines from Dylan's spoken-word tribute to Woody Guthrie.

"I Wanna Be Your Lover" (Yo La Tengo): It's not one of my favorite Dylan songs, but this version is okay.

"You Ain't goin' Nowhere" (Glen Hansard and Markete Irglova): I haven't seen Once, so I don't have the connection to these two that some people seem to have, but this is an awfully bland version of a great song.

"Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window?" (The Hold Steady): Do these guys always sound so much like Kings Of Leon? It's not bad, though.

"Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" (Ramblin' Jack Elliot): This dude sounds like he's about 107 years old. He also sounds like he understands the song; that type of conviction is always welcome.

"Wicked Messenger" (The Black Keys): A very good take on a classic from John Wesley Harding, one of Dylan's better albums.

"Cold Irons Bound" (Tom Verlaine and The Million Dollar Bashers): Dylan's '97 version is a bluesy triumph, but this version draws more attention to the lyrics than to the music. Which is cool, since the lyrics are typically great.

"The Times They Are A-Changin' " (Mason Jennings): Mediocre version of one of the most-coverde songs in recorded history. At this point, there's no sense in doing this song unless you've got something to add to it, and Jennings really doesn't.

"Maggie's Farm" (Stephen Malkmus and The Million Dollar Bashers): Not bad; fairly rollicking, which is appropriate.

"When the Ship Comes In" (Marcus Carl Franklin): This kid is somebody to keep an eye on. If he's doing this solid a version of such a great song at age 11 (or whatver he was when he recorded it), then we will probably be hearing lots more from him in the future.

"Moonshiner" (Bob Forrest): Not a Dylan song, strictly speaking; it was a traditional long before he recorded it. Either way, this is a terrific version of it.

"I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine" (John Doe): Doe does a great job with this song, too; apparently, I need to hear more of his stuff.

"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (Antony & The Johnsons): There's no escaping it; I knew this as a Guns N' Roses song waaaaay before I knew any of the other versions, including Dylan's. I still love that version, as well as the original, and Clapton's; this one is pretty weak, mostly because the vocals are kinda poor.

"I'm Not There" (Bob Dylan & The Band): This relic from the "Basement Tapes" recordings sat unreleased (except by bootleggers) for exactly 40 years. When you've got such an astonishingly awesome oeuvre that a song as good as this one can sit in your vaults for four decades, well then mister, you're know you're the real f---ing deal.

Dylan is the greatest songwriter in American history; possibly in the history of the world. And this album is yet another fine peice of evidence.

I never got the soundtrack for I'm Not There, but I've always considered it whenever I went to Best Buy. The only reason for me to buy it would be for "I'm Not There." In my opinion, that's not worth $16.

I believe that a cover will never be better than the original song, so that pretty much says why I would not buy this.

I believe that a cover will never be better than the original song, so that pretty much says why I would not buy this.

I never got the soundtrack for I'm Not There, but I've always considered it whenever I went to Best Buy. The only reason for me to buy it would be for "I'm Not There." In my opinion, that's not worth $16.

That's crazy talk. Buy it, ya sap.