The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't like the pre-2112 albums very much.  Flashes of greatness but mostly tiresome bullshit.  Not sorry at all about that.  It took them a couple of years to find their voice.

That's true. Rush always said that 2112 was the first record where Rush sounded like Rush.

It's been 14(!) years since A VALID PATH, although he's released a couple of singles since then. Quite frustrating that many of my favourite bands and artists haven't released a studio album in decades, even if they're still active. Roger Hodgson hasn't released one since 2000, for example, even if he has a vast catalogue of unreleased songs. He's just been obsessed about touring in the last 18 years. That's his decision, of course, but I can't help but to desire those unreleased songs.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Yes. It's a lyric from the last track on TRY ANYTHING ONCE, and it's among the finest songs that AP has ever recorded.

Agreed. TAO is brilliant. I like THE TIME MACHINE and A VALID PATH too -- highly underrated albums, as is all of Parsons' stuff without Woolfson.

12 hours ago, Richard said:

@Thor, what do you think of ON AIR?

Did you buy the 35th anniversary box of EYE IN THE SKY?

I love ON AIR. I forgot to mention it when I listed the post-Woolfson albums earlier.

And yes, I have the deluxe editions of all the APP albums (in digital format), if only for a curiousity about the bonus tracks (demos etc.). But I didn't need them, really. The original albums were fine as they were.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

JWFan is celebrating. Today Madonna is 60!

6926a5f879a69d6aa96c68b8485704bd.jpg

That's something to...cherish :lol:

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

My favorite Madonna song.

Her first album is pretty genuinely great.  I'm not sure she ever made another album that great again, but plenty of classic singles.

'course she has! LIKE A PRAYER, and RAY OF LIGHT are both bona fide classics!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Lucky karaoke singer!

Many happy returns to her.

I dont really care too much for her voice.

Think she was something of a "made" pop megastar.

I do like some of her songs, though.

Papa Dont Preach is excellent.

A whole bunch of post-1995 Prince albums just got put on streaming services.

This latter half of Prince's career is incredibly hit-or-miss, but it includes one of my favorite Prince albums, Musicology.  Highly recommended.

597bfsZCon2xDfLOPKPJ2KxJZR04Q9oDhp_E7lz-

"Cinnamon Girl" is a great single!

44 minutes ago, Richard said:

Were those "Sunday paper freebies" ever released anywhere else in the world?

That album, “20ten,” is among the records that just hit Spotify et. al.

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

This artist is new to me.  I really like this song.

This album is the real deal.  I listened again this morning and it's a super interesting R&B-Jazz-Pop-Electro hybrid with a wicked sense of humor.

The songs "Real Life" and "Trying Not to Die" are funky jazzy fun.  Both feature great piano solos.

:eek2:

My favorite singer/songwriter, Gerard Love, from one of my favorite bands of all time, Teenage Fanclub, is leaving the group!  I'm gutted!

Teenage Fanclub is pretty unique in that they have three singers, three songwriters, who've always had very equal presence on every album and at every concert.  It's like Crosby, Stills, & Nash but more cohesive...and more power poppy.  And they've all been a band together for 30+ years!  This feels like when parents get divorced after 40 years together or something :(.  These are like the nicest, gentlest dudes in the history of indie rock.  I just never ever expected something as dramatic as a band co-founder leaving over a "difference of opinion."

Gerard Love has always been my favorite songwriter in the group.  He's written pop songs for the Fanclub that have so much special meaning to me.  His voice is such a key piece of their three part harmonies.  And his bass sound is fundamental to the group.

He's still alive, and they're all still alive, but it still feels like someone's died.  His songs are such a key piece of their legacy, but they can't possibly play them in concert without him.  So weird.

@Steve McQueen I guess this is how it felt when Michael left the Bangles?

Just found my submission to this poll I participated in a few years ago.  350 hardcore Bowie fans voted on his best albums and songs.

https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/2016/01/06/album-poll-day-3-10-1/

This was my submission.  Blackstar would be in my top 10 if I voted now. (this was before Blackstar came out)

Top 10 Bowie Albums

1. Hunky Dory

2. Heroes

3. Station to Station

4. Lodger

5. Aladdin Sane

6. Ziggy Stardust

7. Low

8. Diamond Dogs

9. Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)

10. Let’s Dance

Top 30 Bowie Songs

1. Life On Mars?

2. Heroes

3. Beauty and the Beast

4. Oh! You Pretty Things

5. Drive-In Saturday

6. Station to Station

7. Five Years

8. Queen Bitch

9. Young Americans

10. A New Career in a New Town

11. DJ

12. Stay

13. TVC 15

14. Starman

15. Fantastic Voyage

16. Let’s Dance

17. Changes

18. Rebel Rebel

19. Boys Keep Swinging

20. Rock ’n Roll With Me

21. The Jean Genie

22. Moorage Daydream

23. Quicksand

24. Ashes to Ashes

25. Andy Warhol

26. Blackout

27. Absolute Beginners

28. Rock & Roll Suicide

29. Golden Years

30. Fame

Second most underrated. LODGER is first. Heck, I even like TONIGHT, and NEVER LET ME DOWN. I'm still umming and aahing, about Tin Machine.

1.OUTSIDE is a (bad) trip of a record. It's easily, his most "dense" work, and a brilliant 1-80, from BLACK TIE WHITE NOISE.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

Second most underrated. LODGER is first

I suppose I have to agree with this.  As nobody ever seems to love it as much as I do.   It made #4 on my top 10 albums above!

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

1.OUTSIDE is a (bad) trip of a record. It's easily, his most "dense" work

It's brilliant!

Regarding the density, I think that's why Blackstar is so fucking amazing.  It manages to be as dense (at least in terms of ideas) and interesting but much, much more accessible.

A fan of The DRA - Ryan Adams!!

Favorite Album: 29

Favorite Song(s): Night Birds, Blue Sky Blues and Starlite Diner

John Williams score/work to listen to after some DRA: Rey’s Theme, Cello Concerto and Raiders March!

I don’t know if Cold Roses is my favourite but it’s definitely up there. I think I prefer Love is Hell. 

Let it Ride is probably my favourite song though. 

Love DRA!