'Film Night' at Tanglewood (July 18, 2009)

RonBurbella

Williams did conduct at least once music from "Dracula", at "Filmharmonic 1980", with the National Philharmonic at the Royal Albert Hall. In a interview around that time, he mentioned that he only got the performing rights for that piece because it was for humanitarian purposes.

Later on, he told that he would love to play music from that one to Richard Dyer, if he and the Pops would ever do a Halloween concert.

John Mauceri seems to like it quite a lot, performed "Night journeys" often in concert and even recorded it with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra.

Another person who mentioned his love for the score was André Previn, back in 1988.

On another subject, WCRB don't blocks the BSO concerts on there stream. I've been listening to them at there stream for the past couple of years, and never had any problem. Sadly, a couple of months ago they suspended their Web Broadcasts while they re-work the website.

Anyway, I actually spent like 10 minutes trying to find the site's terms and conditions to no avail. I read thoroughly through the special bulletin about talking about leaked stuff etc, and it didn't mention recordings from live concerts, only published CD material. If we're allowed to listen to live streamings of music for free, but people who happen to miss it are forbidden to listen to it 10 minutes later because it's "recorded!!!" then I think the rules of the site should be challenged. But ban me if I'm way out of line.

YouTube videos were posted recently from another concert and were promoted on the homepage, so considering that you aren't out of line at all.

Thanks for your posts and the Dracula thing.

Anyway it was great to hear Williams revisit an often neglected and perhaps near-forgotten score (by him).

How did Williams look? Still fit as a fiddle?

Williams did conduct at least once music from "Dracula", at "Filmharmonic 1980", with the National Philharmonic at the Royal Albert Hall. In a interview around that time, he mentioned that he only got the performing rights for that piece because it was for humanitarian purposes.

Later on, he told that he would love to play music from that one to Richard Dyer, if he and the Pops would ever do a Halloween concert.

John Mauceri seems to like it quite a lot, performed "Night journeys" often in concert and even recorded it with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra.

Another person who mentioned his love for the score was André Previn, back in 1988.

I never knew that, thank you for sharing that information. I always wanted to know why John Williams seemingly ignored Dracula in his concerts....

Unfortunately, the stream was audio-only. There may have been a member here though that attended the concert.

Was I hearing things or did it sound like the left and right channels were reversed? The strings appeared to be in the right channel, and not the left where they typically are. It was obvious at the start of the theme for The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and in the E.T. suite.

If we're allowed to listen to live streamings of music for free, but people who happen to miss it are forbidden to listen to it 10 minutes later because it's "recorded!!!" then I think the rules of the site should be challenged. But ban me if I'm way out of line.

What, did you record the stream or something?

If we're allowed to listen to live streamings of music for free, but people who happen to miss it are forbidden to listen to it 10 minutes later because it's "recorded!!!" then I think the rules of the site should be challenged. But ban me if I'm way out of line.

What, did you record the stream or something?

Some of it. Adventures on Earth (by which point I was still adjusting my recording gear), Harry's Wondrous World, Superman, Dracula, Raiders. Since I missed out on the first two (well, three?) movements from E.T., including the new Abandoned and Pursued ending, you didn't really miss much.

It's sweet Williams decided to perform Dracula in concert. It's always nice when he goes further than his "usual suspects" repertoire. I can imagine him sifting through his catalogue at home, bumping onto something written 30 or 40 years ago, looking at the scores and saying "Oh boy, I forgot I wrote THAT!" :P

Anyway, I actually spent like 10 minutes trying to find the site's terms and conditions to no avail. I read thoroughly through the special bulletin about talking about leaked stuff etc, and it didn't mention recordings from live concerts, only published CD material. If we're allowed to listen to live streamings of music for free, but people who happen to miss it are forbidden to listen to it 10 minutes later because it's "recorded!!!" then I think the rules of the site should be challenged. But ban me if I'm way out of line.

YouTube videos were posted recently from another concert and were promoted on the homepage, so considering that you aren't out of line at all.

Thanks for your posts and the Dracula thing.

Anyway it was great to hear Williams revisit an often neglected and perhaps near-forgotten score (by him).

Williams looked really well, he was smiling a lot, and looked to be 'as fit as a fiddle'. :-)

It's sweet Williams decided to perform Dracula in concert. It's always nice when he goes further than his "usual suspects" repertoire. I can imagine him sifting through his catalogue at home, bumping onto something written 30 or 40 years ago, looking at the scores and saying "Oh boy, I forgot I wrote THAT!" ;)

I think Williams is more than happy to conduct something more obscure from his catalogue than the usual suspects. He is in a way the victim of his own success and has to perform the same crowd pleasing scores in concerts as he has for the past 20 years because a concert of music from Seven Years in Tibet, Amistad, Rosewood, Heartbeeps and Sleepers might be a tad too eclectic. I would not be amazed if JW was a bit fed up with SW Main Title, Raiders March and Jaws theme by now :P Bringing out something like Dracula is really a nice change for both the audience and the composer. I wish I could have been there to listen to it live :)

What a great concert it was, with Three Million Light Years from Home (and its new ending) and Dracula as absolute highlights. The Far and Away suite and Devil's Dance were very nice as well. The usual suspects were a bit run-of-the-mill (though excellently conducted), having heard them too many times on CD and in other concerts, but the Korngold and Steiner parts (new Williams arrangement) were truly invigorating.

I've had the good fortune of actually attending the concert, which is really a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me (as a European). First time I've seen Williams live - you can imagine the goosebumps when he came on. I also had a small-scale JW-Fan meet-up with Foxfan, so that was great too. We joined the queue after the concert as well, though knowing he would never show up (and he didn't).

On Dracula: Langella, who was the narrator of the second part, said that he asked Williams in the hallway why he never played Dracula, and reportedly Williams was like 'sure why not', and quickly made some adjustments on the run! (I believe he was better prepared than the story made it seem like though.)

Cheers,

fommes, live from Montréal.

On a qwerty keyboard, argh!

(ps: did anybody record the stream? could you please pm me if so?)

(...) but the Korngold and Steiner parts (new Williams arrangement) were truly invigorating.

Did your program notes listed anything as new Williams arrangements? Because I would say this suites were the Gerhardt ones, and "Now, Voyager" has been around for years, and even recorded on Cinema Serenade 2.

Sorry, no, Now, Voyager is just listed as a Williams arrangement - not a new one. I've got both albums you mention, but am not familiar enough with them to distinguish arrangements unfortunately.

And certainly a well worn copy... which makes me wonder (I'm too stupid and tired to think for myself) how is sheet music organized at performances like this?

And certainly a well worn copy... which makes me wonder (I'm too stupid and tired to think for myself) how is sheet music organized at performances like this?

There's a sheet music library inside Symphony Hall, which I believe is the permanent home of these things unless they are needed in Tanglewood or "on the road". I applied for a job organizing it once.