Jay

What is the last Television series you watched?

Mad Mad season 2, epi 11, the one where they go to California. Wow! This is one of the most stunning depictions of dreamy LA society I have ever seen. And then Dick Whitman returned once again and the layers peeled back further. Mesmerising.

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Instead of letting us visually experiencing things, the final episode was about people sitting on a porch, explaining things.

But there was no "real" explaining at all, was there? The finale wasn't about the big mystery, it was about the intimacy of the characters themselves.

After the opening scene, the whole episode played like a short film of sorts, a love story outside of the Departure. I found it a very poignant way to close the show.

In the good episodes we followed the characters and experienced what they must have experienced (like the priest finding a solution to save his church). In the last episode they talked and talked and talked. It really was a downer for me. In the first season they hardly talked about the event. In the third I thought that was all they were doing. I suppose, now that time has gone by, they have given it a place, but that doesn't make it interesting (IMO). Learning how to deal with a new world (the loss) was the best part of the concept.

1 minute ago, KK said:

It's good, but not entirely consistent. Sometimes the showrunners make some rather frustrating choices, but the great cast carries you through it.

Yeah it's definitely not flawless.  But overall a great accomplishment, and yeah the cast is the highlight.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

In the good episodes we followed the characters and experienced what they must have experienced (like the priest finding a solution to save his church). In the last episode they talked and talked and talked. It really was a downer for me. In the first season they hardly talked about the event. In the third I thought that was all they were doing. I suppose, now that time has gone by, they have given it a place, but that doesn't make it interesting (IMO). Learning how to deal with a new world (the loss) was the best part of the concept.

In the end, the third season came down to its broken characters finding a way to redefine themselves, and episodes like the priest one (on the boat), Laurie's ("Certified") and "The Book of Nora" all do that beautifully. It was never about the big "Doomsday" conceit, it was always about its central characters.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah it's definitely not flawless.  But overall a great accomplishment, and yeah the cast is the highlight.

Sometimes it hits some chilling beats and displays some striking visuals, but it also falls into some generic pitfalls tonally. 

I'm looking forward to the next season. But after GOT's display of post-source material writing, I can't help but feel a little cautious.

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

... and yeah the cast is the highlight.

I've seen good acting or great casts before. Give me something else! 

14 hours ago, KK said:

but it also falls into some generic pitfalls tonally. 

Maybe that's one of the problems for me.  Yes, I was quick to judge (I didn't even make it to the end of the first episode) but there was literally nothing that stimulated me to keep on watching. With other words, I was bored. It's like with the move Children Of Men, everyone thinks it's brilliant, but somehow it doesn't speak to me. Maybe that the theme of 'infertility' is simply not my thing, but I'm pretty sure it's the ponderous tone that doesn't appeal to me.

Alex

16 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

But that last scene is exactly that... learning how to deal with the loss. Its the culmination of the characters. After all their struggle they figure out how to be happy and move on. 

The exact same ending as LOST ;)

Channel 4 have put some good stuff out over the years, but they just don't have the marketing budget of a station like HBO or AMC. This will rely almost entirely on word of mouth if it is to do well.

Started Planetes! So far very cute. It feels a bit short on budget. Funny, heavy handed characters. Slice of life + realistic sci-fi.

Unless they pull an Evangelion on me, I picture the ending already.