Jay

What is the last Television series you watched?

The Orville is great!

The first 2-3 episodes don't reveal how good it is, they were subpar.  After them it gets real good real fast.

LhfT145.jpg

Started watching a couple of months ago, didn't get into it. Almost written off by me as being another "edgy" teen drama, it was a bit ponderous and obvious with its commentary smarts (for anyone over the age of 25), but then its conveniently consumable form (at 20 mins per episode) saw it back up on our living room TV when I couldn't really settle on anything else.

That was lucky, because after a distinct but directionless opening, something happens later which fires a rocket up the story's arse and what follows is one of those great occurrences where one can feel a marked improvement with every subsequent episode. By the end (just 8 short installments), this comic book adaptation, overlooked on its initial run at Channel 4 but once again picked up by and earning itself a following on Netflix, was easily worthy of my time and I'd rank it favourably against other higher profile but lesser quality shows doing the rounds. 

A western in Surrey England, veering wildly between moments of humour, quiet and often cynical poetry (break out performance Jessica Barden as Elyssa narrates events with sharp and tragic insight) to sudden graphic violence, The End of the F***ing World is what would happen if Quentin Tarantino and Mike Leigh teamed up to remake Bonnie and Clyde.

4.5/5

gApipJh.jpg

The Terror, first episode. Not great but watchable. Quite boring actually - 45 minutes felt like 90. Visually, it's all over the place, which I suppose is to be somewhat expected for a bigger budgeted maiden voyage (arf!) of a new show, but given it is an AMC production, I still expected better levels of consistency. The exterior shots are generally of a filmic quality, looking awfully handsome and expensive, but then we go back below deck and we're in daytime TV soap territory as the rambling leads disagree amongst themselves about the next plan of action (in a daring and doomed mission to find a sea lane through the Artic, while fending off the presumed psychological challenges that come with it). The differences in the quality of the photography from scene to scene are immersion breaking, but I'll overlook this aspect if proceedings improve in the next episodes - which I've heard they do, thankfully.

By the way, for those who haven't seen the show yet but have their preconceptions of what sort of show it is based on the title; well "The Terror" is actually the name of the ship. I liked that.

The_Terror_Feat.jpg

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Best news of the year! Fincher is gonna keep on directing Mindhunter and and is going to be joined by Andrew (The Assasination Of Jesse James) Dominik. 

Andrew Dominik who is the next Denis Villeneuve who is the next Christopher Nolan who is the next Spielberg?

Karol

On 19/4/2018 at 4:58 AM, Quintus said:

The Terror, first episode. Not great but watchable. Quite boring actually - 45 minutes felt like 90. Visually, it's all over the place, which I suppose is to be somewhat expected for a bigger budgeted maiden voyage (arf!) of a new show, but given it is an AMC production, I still expected better levels of consistency. The exterior shots are generally of a filmic quality, looking awfully handsome and expensive, but then we go back below deck and we're in daytime TV soap territory as the rambling leads disagree amongst themselves about the next plan of action (in a daring and doomed mission to find a sea lane through the Artic, while fending off the presumed psychological challenges that come with it). The differences in the quality of the photography from scene to scene are immersion breaking, but I'll overlook this aspect if proceedings improve in the next episodes - which I've heard they do, thankfully.

By the way, for those who haven't seen the show yet but have their preconceptions of what sort of show it is based on the title; well "The Terror" is actually the name of the ship. I liked that.

The_Terror_Feat.jpg

I tried reading the book years ago but it was so fucking boring.

So do you... ;)

On 6.12.2017 at 10:49 PM, Disco Stu said:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel episode 1

The missus and I finally got to this last night and I'm so glad we did.  I loved it so much.  Great, great pilot, can't to watch the rest. 

Indeed a great show! Can't wait for the second season.