What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I like parts of it, especially the Bane material. But as a whole, it just doesn't do it for me.

It's the reused material from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight that bugs me. It's like 50% of the underscore that doesn't underscore the new characters' scenes -- when the new thematic material kicks in, coupled with the driving rhythms, it's enjoyable. But they're just tracked in the film, and Zimmer doesn't bother to rearrange them or anything.

Zimmer mostly does adaptations of them so they fit the new scene, but he doesnt really take the material in any new direction.

Though the icey rendition of his Batman notes to company a Bruce wayne who's essentially retired in the first part of TDKR is a very interesting idea.

40774.jpg

Well what can I say other than that it was worth the 20 year wait.

And that it's a 24 carat gold entry in the career of Silvestri.

And that I have yet to order, but couldn't wait to listen anyway. ;)

And that I'm now twice the age that I was when I saw the film and liked it (and still do).

And that it makes me yearn for the time when blockbusters had great music.

And that Stallone is still kicking ass in action films.

And that Diane Lane was quite the hottie back then ! :yes:

OK, time to shut up. New Order Montage is on now. YOWZA !!! :rock:

Tomorrow - Michael Giacchino

The score has some catchy themes,ome pleasant enough music, but it's not truly satisfying for me.

At least not yet.

Alex has free Netflix, you didn't pay for this!

You Flemish really are a bit "gierig", right?

I am at a loss for words. Seriously, I don't know what 'gierig' means. It's not in the flemish dictionary. :pfft:

I like the score very much. The only thing that bothers me slightly is that main theme reminds me a bit too much of The Red Violin (which has a better one).

Karol

I've also been listening to some of the music he wrote for the McLaughlin Planetarium. Definitely my kind of thing. Also, planetariums have composers-in-residence? Gotta get in on that....

I've also been listening to the music he wrote for the McLaughlin Planetarium. Definitely my kind of thing. Also, planetariums have composers-in-residence? Gotta get in on that....

Wow. That's beautiful. You've got to admire Danna's versatility.

Aside from The Nativity Story, what other Mychael Danna scores do you guys recommend?

If you're a fan of The Nativity Story, check out his brother, Jeff Danna's Gospel of John, which I personally prefer over Debney's Passion of the Christ.

Camelot, by both Dannas, has some nice choral writing as well, though the score can alienate some in parts. This song is lovely:

If you like his ethnic writing, check out some of smaller scale scores like Ararat or Water (which is how I first discovered him). On top of which the aforementioned Life of Pi comes with a hearty recommendation.

I'm fond of Moneyball and The Ice Storm. Rob Simonsen, Mychael's protege, is also one to keep an ear on.

Far From Men

The Proposition

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

... by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis

The feels.

The feels.

It is "feelings" not "feels" Koray. Don't get on that internet catchphrase bandwagon! :stick:

War Horse by John Williams: Gorgeous!

Superman by John Williams: Superb!

The Flute Concerto by John Williams: Interesting... I mean rather challenging piece and thusfar I have not been able to quite get into it.

Black Beauty by Danny Elfman: Gorgeous too!

Ouch right in the feelings Koray! Right in the feelings!

The feels.

It is "feelings" not "feels" Koray. Don't get on that internet catchphrase bandwagon! :stick:

I'm with you on that one. "The feels" sounds like something a horny teenager would do on a date.

Adults can't perform this sexual act?

3:10 To Yuma by Marco Beltrami

Beltrami's best score, and also one of my favorites from the 00s. LLL's remaster sounds great. Film is superb too. I need to watch it again, it's been awhile.

Michael Giacchino - Tomorrowland

Loving it more with every listen. So many catchy themes and ostinatos!

Michael Giacchino - Star Trek (Complete)

If there's anything this score lacks, its that its basically an action score. Not a lot of music highlighting exploration and awe and wonder, of course because the film doesn't have time for any of that. So damn many class cues, though!

Michael Giacchino - Star Trek Into Darkness (Complete)

Such a great score, a masterful blending of so many cool different elements. Does everything a sequel score should do. Here's hoping he completes the trilogy.

Chad Seiter - Star Trek: The Game

One of the best action scores of the 2010s! So many great explorations and expansions of Giacchino's themes. We got two completely different sequel scores to his original in the same year. So interesting to hear both takes.

17078.jpg

As derivative as a Horner album can be, except for a couple of gorgeous themes, a haunting female voice, and some very nice piano work.

And the photo of Jennifer Connelly in the booklet isn't bad either.

Good, a fellow physical disc person. CD's are awesome.

Quite, naturally. Is there another way to collect this music?

There is some of that interactive stuff, interviews and videos, on the A Beautiful Mind disc. I don't think I have ever looked into that content.

Far and Away by John Williams

Music from the Edge by John Corigliano

Calvary by Patrick Cassidy

Wait, how can you not enjoy that album?

If you don't like the action cues, do you at least like the "Swimming" track?