GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

• 2 weeks later...

I know it was quite well received here and elsewhere, but I remember even as far back as season 2 complaining in this thread about a fairly hefty drop off in quality, especially in the writing. It looked markedly more sumptuous and cinematic than the debut season, but I wasn't as captivated as I had been. 

I enjoyed the first three seasons very much, then lost a bit of interest with season 4 and then even more with season 5. But they were still really good. Season 6 was entertaining and energised even if it started to show signs of "Hollywood blockbuster" tropes that would be ultimately this series' undoing. And I didn't really enjoy either of the two final seasons except for single scenes and sequences.

Karol

Blackwater had a weak sense of geography and a near-incomprehensible ending: to this day I have no idea how Stannis got back to Dragonstone by the next episode,he looks like he's being captured the last we see him.

Funny about the complaints about the drop in writing, Season 1 starts out pretty rough in the first half. The pilot especially, full of obvious character setup and exposition lines. For me it was also S04 where I started getting a bit bored - mostly with Daenerys in Boring Pyramid Room.

I was also incredibly bored with Dany's storyline. She seems to be conquering some new place each season and I go "didn't she do that last year?". It doesn't help that I never really liked her character. She felt incredibly entitled without showing much charisma. I suppose the way it went down wasn't that surprising after all. I sort of always expected that.

Karol

The only characters I seem to follow are the little fella, the blonde chick, the dark haired bloke, the Stark lady, that blonde king kid, the brothel bloke, the Stark kid, and Charles Dance. Everyone else just seems thrown in there.

So after doing a bit of homework on this franchise, I've discovered that J.R.R. Martin is working on another ASFI novel, which will supposedly conclude the series. So... given that Martin's source material was unavailable for the last few seasons of the TV show, and the showrunners had to make it up themselves, will this mean Martin's literary direction will be completely different or will his new book essentially serve as a novelisation of the last few seasons?

Martin isnt contractually obliged at all. He's said in interviews that the TV show will not alter what he had in mind for his conclusion. Since he's been working towards it for so long that there's really no way he could change it and it would still feel real.

Oh hang on so the ending we got isn't necessarily what Martin is writing? As in, character arcs for main characters could even go in completely different directions to what was filmed for the adaptation??