The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 Reboot film)

Trent B

first review of the movie in.

THERE IS NOTHING AMAZING, about the Amazing Spiderman, my main problem is why???.

Oh sure the effects are better, they had to be.

Spiderman 3 is not a great film, it also is not a terrible film. It's very mediocre.

Yep. We enjoyed it, but also LOLd at some moments where we really shouldn't be laughing.

Pity, because I tell you, when the Marvel logo came on and the main title played, it was frigging awesome (how many main title cues have clearly been composed to match a studio/company logo?). Just all went downhill from there.

THERE IS NOTHING AMAZING, about the Amazing Spiderman, my main problem is why???.

"The Sick and Tired Spider-Man" just doesn't have that marketable ring.

"The Amazing Spider-Man" is the first and longest-lasting comic book series that detailed the adventures of Spider-Man.

It was also the name of a 70s TV series and movie (the series' pilot).

Using that title to begin the new franchise will distance itself from Tobey Maguire's first film, which will only be ten years old when it comes out.

• 1 month later...

Looks like James Horner will be scoring The Amazing Spider-man

Music editor Jim Henrikson has revealed in a recent interview with SCOREcast Online that James Horner is in talks to score the upcoming comic book adaptation reboot of The Amazing Spider-Man. While the assignment has not been confirmed to us yet, Henrikson who has been Horner’s primary music editor over the last two decades said that the assignment “is pretty well set” at the time of the interview (which was conducted right before the recording sessions of the historical epic Cristiada in May).

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/09/20/james-horner-in-talks-to-score-the-amazing-spider-man/

http://www.scorecastonline.com/2011/09/scorecast-session-music-editing-avatar.html

Of course -- there's no shortage of people who think any composer, no matter how talented, untalented, or overused, that isn't a bad choice for any film.

About the only thing we could probably get a majority vote on is Gustavo Santaolalla* NOT being a good choice.

* = He'd win an Emmy for it, though. Hell, why not?

Bravo Marc Webb, for getting someone talented to score a big-budget tentpole. I was really worried we'd get a RC/MV composer on there to ape Zimmer's Batman scores.

I was never worried -- I just assumed he'd go with his only go-to composer: Mychael Danna. Doesn't mean I would have liked it, but I was never worried about Zimmer or Ramin or Bates. Horner ... odd being out of the blue like that.

This is, of course, assuming Danna didn't do demos that weren't liked.

He also got to do "Hulk". But why are we judging on those mertis?

What action score had Elfman done before "Batman"? Or anything remoately approaching what the film needed?

And then of course the list grows bigger with composers and superhero films, who never did superhero films before.

Every composers can get the shot, it just has to be offered. And not every superhero films requires an action score.

Yeah, I know. But then again, back then, what studio didn't want Williams for what "big" film?

And look what we got from the red-headed stepchild of film scoring. If only other composers got those chances, instead of dashing off to the RC Cookie Cutter Composer Factory and hiring a Zimmer clone.

Things have changed, for the worse.

Elfman was frowned upon, because of his pop background, and his lack of proper musical education. He was thought of as a "hummer".

Now all these Zimmer-copies are hummers. They hum there themes into a microphone and let the orchestrators work on it.

Good choice. The trailer looked like it was ready for a Zimmer clone to unleash his electronic rambling.

I wonder if hiring Danna for his first film gave him the confidence to reject the studio's inevitable ideas.

Plus, we'll get a full CD release with 15 minute tracks. Take that Tintin!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems like they are trying to make the audience think its some kind of untold story from the same universe as the first 3 films rather than a reboot

No, the bad guy in the film is Dr. Curt Connors, who was played by Dylan Baker in both Spider-man 2 and Spider-man 3. (He just never turned into The Lizard in the original trilogy)

Seems like they are trying to make the audience think its some kind of untold story from the same universe as the first 3 films rather than a reboot

The first three were pretty far away from the comic books, so yes, it will be an untold story.

And no nasty melodrama this time please.

Just watched the trailer. Actually looked OK.

Liked the fact that the geeky Parker actually looks rather cool (Geeks are indeed the new jocks these days).

The film will probably be better then the first Spider-Man film, which was awfully melodramatic and suffered from Willem Dafoe hamming is up.

His editor, Jim Henrickson, did an interview last year saying, basically, it was pretty much a go for Horner to score it. There has been no refuting it or ther composers listed. As long as his editor's name is still on the IMDB credits for that film (under "Music Dept."), then it should still be a go.