15 Brilliant John Williams Movie Moments

Mari

Next month, octogenarian film music genius John Williams will release his first non-Spielberg soundtrack in eight years. The film is The Book Thief, which tells the story of a young girl in Nazi Germany who finds solace in literature. It gives us great pleasure to see that the record-breaking composer is still in top shape and continuing to deliver works that are still intellectually and creatively superior to those of his peers. Easily the most revered film composer alive, Williams is the last of his kind in an industry that seldom uses live orchestras nowadays, instead veering toward more and more minimalist soundtracks.

To celebrate more than half a century of unforgettable film music, let’s look back and remind ourselves of those scenes in which Williams stole the show with his unrivalled talent. I feel the need to point out that the order of this list is hardly of any importance, and that many of Williams’ other scores could well be lauded here also, particularly those from his earlier years. So without further ado, let’s dive right into it. From the top…

Read more at http://whatculture.com/film/15-brilliant-john-williams-movie-moments.php#Byh1L57Fv6EuoAdu.99

Good list, indeed. The compiler knows his John Williams. Nice to see the opening credits of CMIYC in there. One false note in the list is the "I could've done more" scene of Schindler's List.

Good list, indeed. The compiler knows his John Williams. Nice to see the opening credits of CMIYC in there. One false note in the list is the "I could've done more" scene of Schindler's List.

Don't see how that's a false note. Arguably the best dramatic cue in the film. If the writer had included WAR HORSE on the other hand...

Don't see how that's a false note. Arguably the best dramatic cue in the film. If the writer had included WAR HORSE on the other hand...

War Horse is in my opinion the far more satisfying score and contains better highlights than Schindler's. He should have absolutely included it.

Because that scene is the weakest, worst and most false, sentimental, tearjerky moment in an otherwise good film. It's the moment I try to forget.

Because that scene is the weakest, worst and most false, sentimental, tearjerky moment in an otherwise good film. It's the moment I try to forget.

I disagree. It's surely a sentimental scene, but it's heartfelt and sincere. It's a cathartic moment that is absolutely earned at that point of the narrative. Williams' music follows the scene accordingly with achingly beautiful sensibility.

War Horse is in my opinion the far more satisfying score and contains better highlights than Schindler's. He should have absolutely included it.

WAR HORSE ties with HOOK as the worst score for a Spielberg film Williams has written yet.

WAR HORSE ties with HOOK as the worst score for a Spielberg film Williams has written yet.

Hook the worst score for a Spielberg film? :eek: (so that means that Sugarland Express is better than Hook?)

Can you explain what you don't like about it? Maybe you're influenced by the movie?

For the record, it's in my top 5 Williams scores ever!

Hook the worst score for a Spielberg film?

I find it saccharine, cloying and incredibly annoying. I just can't get into it. It leaves me cold.

SUGARLAND EXPRESS is a brilliant score. A shame Williams doesn't feel the same way.

The writer does mistake a tuba for a French Horn in Binary Sunset. Cadillac of the Skies is one of my all time favorites. Specially after all the apotheosis has died down, what Jim tells the doctor. It's heartbreaking

Cadillac of the Skies is one of my all time favorites. Specially after all the apotheosis has died down, what Jim tells the doctor. It's heartbreaking

The whole cue is wonderful, transcendent scoring, but as you say, the quiet underscore for the dialogue makes it. Love that chilling chord as Jim comes back down to reality.

If a composer is commissioned to score an emotionally manipulative* film intended for mainstream audiences, what is his aesthetic (as opposed to, for the sake of discussion, his professional) responsibility to the picture? If we classify a given scene as written as "false," is it then "bad film scoring" for the composer to impart that "falseness" musically?

(*Emotionally manipulative, as least in my view, encompasses the morbidly clinical as well as the cloyingly sentimental.)

Well it is quite a nice list of famous and impactful JW moment for sure. No complaints from me. The writer sure knows his JW.

That tells me all i need to know. I'm sorry that you don't seem to "get" these masterpieces.

Spielberg rarely trusts his audience anymore to get there emotionally by themselves.

Spielberg rarely trusts his audience anymore to get there emotionally by themselves.

Trust has to be earned.

That tells me all i need to know.

Your avatar, username and grammar tell me all I need to know.

Your omission of the Oxford comma tells me all I need to know.

idiotic comment.

I think these were 15 representative moments but you could easily find another 15 with ease. I personally feel the best of this list was the Superman choice.

it was once voted by this website as the single greatest action sequence in a JW film. Its been awhile, but there are few sequences better.

:lol:

so who is Mr Shark, no one here by that name has posted 1500+ times without notice

The writer does mistake a tuba for a French Horn in Binary Sunset. Cadillac of the Skies is one of my all time favorites. Specially after all the apotheosis has died down, what Jim tells the doctor. It's heartbreaking

That score and movie are not given nearly enough love.

so who is Mr Shark, no one here by that name has posted 1500+ times without notice

He's Prometheus.

Prometheus Unchained!

I'm not really a fan of Empire of the Sun. I think it's one of JW's most disjointed scores.

Disjointed = modernist.

That I'm British?