Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

The ships going into warp I am sure were CGI effects just done better over time.

BTW when Troi started wearing the duty uniforms is when Edward Jellico took command of the Enterprise for the short time in 2 part episode Chain Of Command a few episodes prior to Timescape.  He preferred that all of his officers wore the right attire when they were on duty.

Computers were already used on Star Wars, Jason. To control the camera movements of certain effect shots. 

They were also used to manipulate traditional optical effects sometimes. Perhaps thats what was done in your example.

Gonna watch Timescape now actually. I recall it being quite a good one.

[edit]

Jason, just watched the shot you mentioned.

It's not CGI. Trent is right that it's a borrowed shot from DS9. It's done using model photography but most likely some manipulation was done using computers. Which would make it a computer manipulated shor rather than a computer generated one.

I thought Captain Jellico was rather unfairly despised by the Enterprise crew. He was a right-wing conservative Captain on a ship full of ultra-liberal left-wing space hippies. Picard was far too diplomatic with the Cardassians.

TNG was a brilliant show because it was 100% politically Neutral. Concieved in the Reagan 80's of the end of the Cold War, and ran through the liberal Clinton Era virtually unchanged. It truly represented the best of us!

Star Trek is better than everything!

Pulaski certainly irritated Picard to no end. Beverly was just the widow of the best friend Picard ordered to his death, a woman he never quite formed a successful relationship with in the prime timeline. I'm not sure if Pulaski had history with Picard, long before she saved his life, or he just felt intimidated by women his own age. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

At least affordable box sets of those two shows on DVD arrive next week. That's better than nothing. 

Too bad I just watched them over the last year and don't need to for at least another decade. 

I'm getting Deep Space Nine. The packaging is really nice.

They still look really good on my Sony Trinitron. You're watching it the way it was originally broadcast. Actually, better.

• 1 month later...

I found this really interesting piece on DeviantArt of a guy who is building a 3D model of the refit Enterprise. Now, 3D models are of course a dime a dozen, so what's so interesting about this guy is that he's actually building the model as if it were a real version of the ship he were building. Girders, warp coils, tiniest details...

USS Enterprise Deck Structure

What's so interesting about this is how it's scaled. He's made this using the bridge as the starting point. And it answers a key question about the scale of the Kelvin ships.

There is no way that the Kelvin Enterprises are 725m in length. Look at the tiny guy there, on the left of the second deck of the saucer rim. That's the same scale as the guys working on the saucer in the end sequence of Beyond. And in that sequence, you can see that the saucer rim only has two decks.

There are more decks in Beyond's Ent-A's neck, but that's because the neck is taller than the refit. About 8 or 9 decks compared to TMP's 6.

So, there's one of two possible explanations:

#1 - the scale for the TOS/TMP ships is way off to begin with. This is not likely at all as we can see that each deck aboard the Enterprise has roughly that amount of vertical room as shown in the linked diagram, though there is a spanner in the works when you consider just how small the shuttlebays on the Enterprise and Enterprise refit are. That could just be down to the set designers though. Could you imagine, if that is indeed the case, the same logic that was used to make the Kelvin Enterprise 725 metres in length was applied to the scale of the TOS Enterprise? I'm sure it'd wind up being a lot smaller than the 288 metres it is stated to be.

#2 - The Kelvin timeline ships have their scaling completely wrong and they are in fact much closer to their Prime timeline counterparts in scale.

I think #2 is most likely. The Enterprise would then sit at the originally-stated 367 metres. Still larger than the TOS and Refit Enterprises but definitely more consistent with the deck sizes.

On 2/2/2017 at 10:36 PM, Rose Dawson said:

I'm getting Deep Space Nine. The packaging is really nice.

The outer box looks nice but I've read the inner boxes are poorly made. If you do buy it, I'd be interested to know what you think of its construction. It's dropped below $90 already on Amazon, so once it hits & 50, I may bite. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, and I dont see how it relates to LOTR?

The show thats given us Uhura and Rand in mini skirts, Troi in a tight as fuck cheerleaders outfit and Seven of Nine will need to have some eyecandy on Discovery!

DS9 was as chaste as I want Trek to be! This far...no further!

Otherwise it would just be Star Wars.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

DS9, chaste? Didn't it feature the first primetime woman on woman kiss on American TV? That was a few seasons before the good Intendant chewed up the stage, before another episode ended with the implications of how a shapeshifter could please his "solid" woman. 

5 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I dunno, Steef ... have you seen the amount of online flak that Karen Gillan's outfit in the Jumanji follow-up/reboot/whatever it is has had levelled at it?  

I want to know how she plans to keep the mosquitoes off her exposed tracts of land. 

Well The Intendant first appeared in season two and straight away showed her interest in Kira. The lesbian kiss, which the producers insist wasnt a lesbian kiss, it was a story about taboo love took place in season 4. The intendant also has her way with the new Ally McBeal Dax in season 7.

Slightly more subtle than having a borg babe with huge...attachements...strut around the ship every week in a skin tight, non regulation uniform.

21 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No, and I dont see how it relates to LOTR?

The show thats given us Uhura and Rand in mini skirts, Troi in a tight as fuck cheerleaders outfit and Seven of Nine will need to have some eyecandy on Discovery!

Otherwise it would just be Star Wars.

Why did you mention LOTR, you crazy Dutchman? :/ 

I just meant that skimpy outfits on attractive female characters now result in Generation Offended's keyboard warriors lining up to slag them off.   

• 1 month later...

Has anybody picked up the Bridge Crew VR game? The promo material says that it puts you in the Captain's Chair of the USS Aegis in the Kelvin timeline.

What it didn't tell you until very recently is that there is one other ship you get to sit in the Captain's chair of.

STBC_Enterprise_Asteroids_1490913772-102

Yup, the game has two ships, the Kelvin USS Aegis and the TOS Enterprise. They've done a spectacular job recreating it, from the screenshots I've seen (as I don't have PSVR so I can't play it - I would buy it if I did). The above is a screenshot from the game but there's plenty more examples of how good it looks with dynamic lighting that mean that the argument that JJ Abrams had that the Enterprise wasn't detailed enough just doesn't fly any more.

The screenshots also show that, with the right lighting, the TOS Enterprise would have worked quite well on the big screen IMO.