Alien 5 by Neill Blomkamp

Jay

1 hour ago, Lonnegan said:

If they bring Newt back and she isn't played by a good looking blonde I'll eat my hat. 

That does seem like the most likely scenario

The film needs to end with Ripley wiping a floor of a giant spaceship. The camera rolls back, the deck is getting bigger and bigger, while Ripley is getting smaller and smaller. She has seen it all, she has lived through it all, but she's just a nobody. The End.

Alex

• 4 months later...

What’s the status of the “Alien” sequel?

I hope that Neill Blomkamp and I will eventually get back to it. He’s written such a wonderful script. I look forward to finishing Ripley’s story.

http://variety.com/2016/film/features/sigourney-weaver-avatar-alien-1201930389/

• 4 months later...

Yeah, not hard to read between the lines on what happened to that project. Think ol' Sir Ridders went on an ego-trip after The Martian hit big and sunk Blompkamp's film from gaining any momentum.

Cameron said there was a script, hardly just a ten page treatment. Chappie being a miserable failure didn't help Blompkamp's cause either.

And there was always a good chance that everyone would prefer Blomkamp's movie over Prometheus and Covenant. 

Beyond being an obvious fan service idea, it wasn't such a good idea in the first place anyway. I mean, let's be honest. Besides they already made that type of "sequel" as a comics long time ago.

Karol

Why did Kubrick make a 2001 movie when he knew Clarke was writing the book? It doesn't make sense. Now one of the two is redundant.

18 hours ago, crocodile said:

They did that comic book too!

250px-AvPvtT.jpg

Karol

This was a phase in the 80s and 90s where they were running out of ideas for funny books, so they had universes colliding in between characters dying and rising from the grave. They even had DC vs. Marvel. Fat chance of ever seeing that again. Also Star Trek and the X-Men, which everyone obviously always wanted to see.

1 hour ago, Selina Kyle said:

This was a phase in the 80s and 90s where they were running out of ideas for funny books, so they had universes colliding in between characters dying and rising from the grave. They even had DC vs. Marvel. Fat chance of ever seeing that again. Also Star Trek and the X-Men, which everyone obviously always wanted to see.

IDW has been doing the crossover thing for the most unlikely franchises a lot over the last few years.

On 2.5.2017 at 9:35 AM, BloodBoal said:

Good. There were two forces (chestbursters?) inside me in relation to this project. One was slightly curious about where they would take it, and a chance to revisit these characters coming right off of ALIENS. The other was harshly opposed to the whole thing, being a continuity junkie (and only accepting a sequel with Ripley taking its point-of-departure in the ending of ALIEN: RESSURECTION). As it happens, the latter was much stronger than the former.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Blomkamps track record isn't good enough for me to have had any faith in this.

This!

There are good elements in ELYSIUM and CHAPPIE too, even they're rather disappointing, overall. So yeah -- I see a good and even visionary filmmaker in there somewhere.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

There are good elements in ELYSIUM and CHAPPIE too, even they're rather disappointing, overall. So yeah -- I see a good and even visionary filmmaker in there somewhere.

How soon he lost it. Great directors make a multitude of great movies before they eventually lose it.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

But good enough to possibly get close to the level of James Cameron? Come on?

I doubt it. But too early to tell.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

He soon he lost it. Great directors make a multitude of great movies before they eventually lose it.

Always the cynic, eh? Sometimes that does indeed happen, but just as many times, the best directors are able to churn out great movies untill the day they die!

I think Blomkamp's problem is that he tries to do everything, story and direction, and he's not particularly gifted in the former.  The man had a good idea with District 9, and executed it well enough.  But ever since, he's maybe had good ideas, but bad execution in scripting.  The man can obviously direct, but he should stop being the Idea Man behind his own projects. 

Just now, crumbs said:

Shyamalan has a similar problem, he's an utterly terrible writer but he's not a bad director.

No, not necessarily. With THE VISITORS and SPLIT, he's back in top form, also writing-wise. But yeah, writing was one of the problems in his 'middle' films (between THE VILLAGE and THE VISITORS).

38 minutes ago, Thor said:

I doubt it. But too early to tell.

Too early to tell? He's been given two opportunities to make a big budget sci fi film, two more than many more talented people ever get, and he failed miserably both times, critically and commercially.  He doesn't deserve more chances. He should go make a cheap indie if he wants to prove his worth.

17 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

The man can obviously direct ...

And yet I've never seen Jodie Foster act so bad as in Elysium.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Too early to tell? He's been given two opportunities to make a big budget sci fi film, two more than many more talented people ever get, and he failed miserably both times, critically and commercially.  He doesn't deserve more chances. He should go make a cheap indie if he wants to prove his worth.

I'd be game for that too. That he takes a "Shyamalan".