DANG IT! I "Ripped" Somebody Off!

skyy38

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Williams needed to pull a Patrick Doyle's Stepmom with Goldsmith once in a while. Just imagine:

ALIEN

Composed and Conducted by John Williams

There are a few modern projects that I wish had rejected their scores and gotten Williams.  Guardians of the Galaxy is the first that comes to mind.  That movie really could have been elevated by a great (or even just good) score but instead we got Tyler Bates trying his damnedest (and failing) to sound like David Arnold and several other composers.  Game of Thrones is another one that could have used a more classical score but the long-forming nature of the series probably wouldn't have worked with Williams' schedule.  

21 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

You hack!

What's wrong with Rey's Theme though?

Rey's Theme just doesn't spell out her character, like most characters in the Star Wars Universe, and certainly not like Williams did for the original trilogy.

Case in point?
Some would say that Jabba's Theme was "politically incorrect" or "typecasting" in terms of using a tuba for the main melody.

I say "bosh!" because anything else,(flute, clarinet, etc,) would not have worked at all.

Try using a tuba on Princess Leia's Theme and see how far you get.

Politics and Music can remain seperate, like church and state, as far as I'm concerned.

I've always been an artist- I have ZERO interest in politics.

However, even in the Red Robin commercial, an overweight person is still cast as the buffoon, as the clown.
("Monkey want's my burger!")

I mean, what would blonde women think, if they were featured in a commercial, making Toll House Cookies by cracking open M+M's?

Whatever......

13 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Dude, do shut up. You can profess your love for TFA without constantly trying to crap on Zimmer.  How many threads am I gonna have to see this stupidity in?  Give me a fucking break. 

If you hate irreverent humour so much, why ever bother posting on JWFan? It's part of the forum's charm.

There's hundreds of threads for serious analytical discussion of both Zimmer and Williams scores. Does this thread strike you as one of them?

Give me a fucking break!

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

If you hate irreverent humour so much, why ever bother posting on JWFan? It's part of the forum's charm.

There's hundreds of threads for serious analytical discussion of both Zimmer and Williams scores. Does this thread strike you as one of them?

Give me a fucking break!

Yeah, it's kinda like having VD, but still loving the woman you caught it from!

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Give me a fucking break!

This is the best rebuttal you can offer?

I'll give you another chance… go ahead.

I'll even give you a preview of my response: it'll have to do with how your "irreverent humor" isn't humorous at all, but comes across as bitchy whining similar to the anti-Williams/TFA type that you're decrying.

3 hours ago, skyy38 said:

Rey's Theme just doesn't spell out her character, like most characters in the Star Wars Universe, and certainly not like Williams did for the original trilogy.

Case in point?
Some would say that Jabba's Theme was "politically incorrect" or "typecasting" in terms of using a tuba for the main melody.

I say "bosh!" because anything else,(flute, clarinet, etc,) would not have worked at all.

Try using a tuba on Princess Leia's Theme and see how far you get.

Politics and Music can remain seperate, like church and state, as far as I'm concerned.

I've always been an artist- I have ZERO interest in politics.

However, even in the Red Robin commercial, an overweight person is still cast as the buffoon, as the clown.
("Monkey want's my burger!")

I mean, what would blonde women think, if they were featured in a commercial, making Toll House Cookies by cracking open M+M's?

Whatever......

Political incorrect?

What the hell are you on about?

You sound like a glue sniffer!

This thread and the artists within it are making me lose IQ points. And I didn't have many to begin with. 

No wonder you all are starving. 

On 1/2/2016 at 11:30 PM, publicist said:

Eat your words when skyy38 eloquently receives the Oscar for Episode IX.

I wish Pubby!

Thank you for the support though!

On 1/2/2016 at 11:53 PM, RPurton said:

Skyy38, are you a trolling JWFan? 

No, I am not.

Search my past posts on this forum, and you will see that I am not a troll.

On 1/2/2016 at 11:55 PM, Stefancos said:

Only on JWfan!

Sigh....

You should know, sir......

On 1/2/2016 at 0:20 AM, Stefancos said:

So far KM seems to have been underwelmed by it. So you are wong.

When was the last time JW really went for an old fasioned classical melodic approach? Harry Potter? And that was a bit of a fluke already.

TFA comes rather close to it though. It's thematically very rich. Though not quite as instantly accessible as his original trilogy scores.

Got that right, Stefan!

Before the days of "home video" the only two ways you could relive Star Wars ( Ricard Edit) was to go back and watch the movie in theaters, or listen to the soundtrack endlessly.

The lack of home video drove the soundtrack album to epic sales.

Until "The Story Of Star Wars" came along.

On 1/2/2016 at 0:45 AM, crumbs said:

Well the aforementioned post was satirical but I agree with your sentiment. I was alternating cues from ESB with TFA today and the difference between Williams' 80's and 10's sensibilities is vast.

He built each cue from his older scores around a strong core idea, and the orchestration branched out from that idea with confidence in its simplicity. His modern action writing is admittedly rewarding after multiple listens and the orchestration is stunningly complex, but it feels unfocused and unsatisfying by comparison. It doesn't tell a story musically in the way cues like The Asteroid Chase or Rescue from Cloud City did. I think this stems from Williams not wanting to re-use his old themes unless asked to, and his seeming disinterest in writing new themes that have the simplicity of his 80's ones.

That said, I'll still take it over the headache-inducing garbage Zimmer writes, and Giacchino's enjoyable but far too simplistic surface-level writing.

Crumbs,

The basic start to the "motif" themes, began here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUpqrgaVxJ8

Oh yeah, watch the movie too!

You will hear a hint of The Force Theme (aka Ben's Theme) in this film!

On 1/2/2016 at 1:28 AM, crumbs said:

Williams needed to pull a Patrick Doyle's Stepmom with Goldsmith once in a while. Just imagine:

ALIEN

Composed and Conducted by John Williams

How about "Somewhere In Time?" by John Williams?

Nawwwww!

Only John Barry could have done this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KslXnzGL-xo

John Williams was stuck in "space" as concerns romantic themes but John Barry had a deeper horror to deal with, here on earth.

That is why he wrote very evocative, romantic themes, even when it wasn't about *romance*.

On 1/2/2016 at 2:50 AM, Quintus said:

Anyone who says TFA hasn't got strong melodies or themes hasn't bothered to actually listen to it, not properly. We were almost completely dumbed down to accept short little ditties and basic pop motifs until John Williams returned with a couple of swaggeringly confident themes which while not being immediately accessible are an absolute delight for anyone who appreciates and enjoys long and satisfyingly rich composition in their thematic music. These themes are highly developed and almost feel extended, by today's standards. Pea brained tiny attention span X-Factor viewers don't know how to deal with that high quality shit these days.  

/hums Rey's theme 

Oh really?

I recall the Star Wars soundtrack being accepted as canon, the very first time that movie goers saw it.

The soundtrack album sold more than 4 million copies,eventually, because everyone wanted to re-live the experience, and that's what they got to do!

No "home video" back in the day.

If you have to "program" yourself into liking something, then it's probably not worth much.

For myself, "Rey's Theme" just doesn't do it for me.

But, the first time I fell in love with Princess Leia-that was it!

Theme and all.......

I don't do "sound bites" or "short ditties."

I do breakfast, lunch and dinner.

On 1/2/2016 at 2:56 AM, Stefancos said:

I can accept that the type of people who write Youtube comments or even the geeks at TheForceNet arent able or willing to give this score the chance it deserves to really sink in. But that there are people on JWFan who seemingly can't be arsed to do so....

"General Kenobi" ( a moderator) from the Force.net, is a particular kind of nasty.

Disagree on him with anything, and you get banned for life.

Well "General Kenobi".......you can just "force-f*ck" yourself.

On 1/2/2016 at 3:03 AM, crumbs said:

TFA has been warmly received on JWFan, after repeat listens. Skyy doesn't speak for everyone.

And who said that I did "speak for everyone?"

On 1/2/2016 at 7:42 AM, Mr. Big said:

There are a few modern projects that I wish had rejected their scores and gotten Williams.  Guardians of the Galaxy is the first that comes to mind.  That movie really could have been elevated by a great (or even just good) score but instead we got Tyler Bates trying his damnedest (and failing) to sound like David Arnold and several other composers.  Game of Thrones is another one that could have used a more classical score but the long-forming nature of the series probably wouldn't have worked with Williams' schedule.  

Once upon a time, I had wished for JW to do the soundtrack for "Wonder Woman".

But now, the soundtrack will be done by Giacchino  fucking Zimmer in the ass, while the result flies into Doyles mouth, 

because everything is "Dark".

If anyone bothers to make note, TFA is the FIRST soundtrack album I've heard of to chart in the Top Ten in quite a long time.

What do we hear of the "Marvel Galaxy" of soundtracks, lately?

Among progressively stunning BO grosses, absolutely *nothing*.

Nobody is humming along to all of the X-Mens,Fantastic Fours,Daredevil,Spiderman's, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Thor's,Iron Man's Captain America's, Hulks or Avengers.

And DC is not much better.

Three Batman's, Two Superman's, Green Lantern, and the upcoming Suicide Squad and that "Batman F*cks Superman In The Ass  With Kryptonite While Wonder Woman Watches And Films It!"

All we get, is yet another look at Robert Downey Jr's. puss, inside of the Iron Man Helmet, like it's supposed to mean something.

Where is the passion for soundtracks, anymore?

3 minutes ago, Drax said:

Anyone who has anything to say about TFN, I want to know. I spent a long time there before realising how much of a cliquey slumber party that joint is. Any links to whatever General Kenobi has done?

"General Kenobi" was just a sorry f*ck, trying to jack-off with his "light saber" and not much else.

If the "The Force.Net" is located in CA, then I hope his mother escaped after he drowned in the basement of same!

13 minutes ago, Drax said:

Anyone who has anything to say about TFN, I want to know. I spent a long time there before realising how much of a cliquey slumber party that joint is. Any links to whatever General Kenobi has done?

The prequel love is out of hand in certain corners but there are quite a few posters in the TFA/new movies board that I enjoy regularly conversing with.  

5 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

The prequel love is out of hand in certain corners but there are quite a few posters in the TFA/new movies board that I enjoy regularly conversing with.  

I was referring more to the Community/Senate forums where they really expose their true colours. Otherwise, I find the actual SW discussion there generally interesting.

The theme doesn't fit the character like almost all other Star Wars motifs? What?

Luke's theme is literally a musical hero's journey with Luke and Leia's being a bit of a subversion. On the topic of Rey's theme though, I think you should listen to this Star Wars Oxygen Podcast on the music of TFA. There's a section where Rey's theme is broken down and it really does outline her personality in all the small flourishes and alterations as well as what state she is currently at:

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/1/1/2/11240cc25843442d/RFR_SWOxygen025.mp3?c_id=10592470&expiration=1451992656&hwt=b1523ed8bb4e11eb4b414136a465516b

Oh, excuses, excuses, Skyy38. This thread is a testament to everything you've been spouting - unfounded hatred and over-the-top diatribes that you strung together in between power naps where you fell asleep on the Caps Lock key intermittently.

6 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Part of me has to admire the fact that, despite all that has been said against him, Hitler just keeps chugging along.

- Cerebral Cortex, 1938

18 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

The theme doesn't fit the character like almost all other Star Wars motifs? What?

Luke's theme is literally a musical hero's journey with Luke and Leia's being a bit of a subversion. On the topic of Rey's theme though, I think you should listen to this Star Wars Oxygen Podcast on the music of TFA. There's a section where Rey's theme is broken down and it really does outline her personality in all the small flourishes and alterations as well as what state she is currently at:

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/1/1/2/11240cc25843442d/RFR_SWOxygen025.mp3?c_id=10592470&expiration=1451992656&hwt=b1523ed8bb4e11eb4b414136a465516b

Back in 1977, we didn't have "podcasts" or anything like that.

All we had was our basic emotions and how we reacted to stimuli, to those emotions.

All WE needed, back in 1977, was *ourselves*.......

3 minutes ago, skyy38 said:

All we had was our basic emotions and how we reacted to stimuli, to those emotions.

Wh- Are you even a real person?

A podcast is just a broadcasted discussion. Its just like chatting with your friends about it in your free-time except you don't know the people personally. A discussion is a discussion god damn it.

25 minutes ago, skyy38 said:

gran-torino-clint-eastwood.jpg

Um, let's see-

If Rey's Theme needed to be "broken down", post composition, then it was never a sturdy composition to begin with.

Princess Leia's theme is still tops.

So *raspberry!*

6 hours ago, skyy38 said:

Um, let's see-

If Rey's Theme needed to be "broken down", post composition, then it was never a sturdy composition to begin with.

Princess Leia's theme is still tops.

So *raspberry!*

Alright it seems like you're starting to go off the deep end but I'll humour you.

Most of what John Williams does is subconscious and explains why you sometimes love a track initially because all the subtle cues click in your head and paint a vivid picture. I get that it doesn't happen with everyone but it certainly did for a lot of people including myself with Rey's theme. The breakdown shows that there is quality writing behind there and that it does suit the character, something that you've yet to provide an argument against. Unlike other Star Wars scores TFA has been a grower in that I appreciate it more and more everyday, and in the end that's more important than something that remains static because it gives it longevity.

On 1/3/2016 at 6:00 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

This is the best rebuttal you can offer?

I'll give you another chance… go ahead.

I'll even give you a preview of my response: it'll have to do with how your "irreverent humor" isn't humorous at all, but comes across as bitchy whining similar to the anti-Williams/TFA type that you're decrying.

Fortunately JWFan is a discussion forum where contrasting opinions and personalities are encouraged; it isn't moderated to only accept or allow posts and comedy that you consider acceptable. The forum would be a pretty dour place if it were.

The fact you took offense to a joke about YouTubers wishing TFA's trailer music were the score proper, says a lot. And the fact you think I'm legitimately "decrying" anti-Williams YouTube comments says even more. That's like decrying preschoolers for throwing tantrums. :lol:

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Fortunately JWFan is a discussion forum where contrasting opinions and personalities are encouraged; it isn't moderated to only accept or allow posts and comedy that you consider acceptable. The forum would be a pretty dour place if it were.

The fact you took offense to a joke about YouTubers wishing TFA's trailer music were the score proper, says a lot. And the fact you think I'm legitimately "decrying" anti-Williams YouTube comments says even more. That's like decrying preschoolers for throwing tantrums. :lol:

Lol. Dude. 

Apparently you've been ruffled hence a reply to this like a week later.  

As I suggested elsewere, stop taking yourself so seriously and get a sense of humor.  And stop playing the victim because not everyone runs around sucking your cock after every post.  Your very point above is that this is a discussion forum and people will say what they will say.  Try to apply that thinking to yourself and the fact that I am free to respond to you in whatever way I see fit. 

You're acting very silly.  Of course now it might be amusing to actually single you out constantly as you imagine me already doing. 

19 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Lol. Dude. 

Apparently you've been ruffled hence a reply to this like a week later.  

As I suggested elsewere, stop taking yourself so seriously and get a sense of humor.  And stop playing the victim because not everyone runs around sucking your cock after every post.  Your very point above is that this is a discussion forum and people will say what they will say.  Try to apply that thinking to yourself and the fact that I am free to respond to you in whatever way I see fit. 

You're acting very silly.  Of course now it might be amusing to actually single you out constantly as you imagine me already doing. 

I'm sure you'd love to think I avoided the thread due to the sheer terror of reading your post, but the reality is different. With all due respect to skyy38, his threads aren't "must revisit" material amongst the plethora of interesting analysis on JWFan.

In any event, demanding I apply my 'freedom of speech' thinking to your posts is ironic considering your first post started with, "dude, do shut up." Erm... :sarcasm:

As for comments like, "not everyone runs around sucking your cock after every post," is that really necessary on a film music forum? I'm all for posters with a wicked sense of humour, but you're just embarrassing yourself making comments like that.