• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sharky

Hans Zimmer and Tom Holkenborg's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

193 posts in this topic

I heard it.

It seems less diverse than MoS

But that could just be the track selection

well MoS took a while to grow on me too

(it didnt help that some of the best tracks werent on the OST)

Sorry, but I don't use your tricks, Stiff.

Be careful, though. LeBlanc can see IP adresses. You may get banned because of that.

Don't deny it. This is obviously your doing! You have the same avatar.

I'm sure our new friend uses a complex series of proxies which he rotates every so often to mask his true identity.  How else could he be so bold as to ask for illegal download links right in the open?

This is obviously the result of poor leadership and I think that the situations calls for the immediate dismissal of Jason and Incanus as moderators!

I say Bloodboal and KK should take over!

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Don't deny it. This is obviously your doing! You have the same avatar.

That was your plan all along! You're trying to frame me, bu it's not going to work!

Jason isnt on the MB right now, so you are moving ahead with your fiendish plan, knowing Incanus would not dare to do anything.

26 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I say Bloodboal and KK should take over!

That could be interesting...depending on who manages to ban the other first.

No kidding. I put on my head phones. And clicked play on the first track and I had the good sense to keep the volume at middle and.... my ear drums almost burst. Dear god. I dove for the volume control in self protection and reduced it to 5% - where it shall stay. 

Is this how it will sound in the theaters too?

--

Listening to the first track... my impression... that's a lot of drums.

Listening to the second track... something.... from MOS was reprised and my heart sank. I was like, "Not this shit again."

Listened to a couple of other tracks and the general feeling is... this is a truly big orchestral score.... scored for an orchestra of 200 drum players and ... one solo voice?

Having just wrapped up the whole thing. It has some nice moments. The Superman stuff, as scarce as it is, are the highlights. The Batman material has some occaisonally interesting tidbits, but is mostly that deafening pounding rhythm that's as generic as anything you hear from your usual trailer music. There was a pretty nice choral passage which I believe Whitacre had a hand in arranging/writing.

4 minutes ago, Sharky said:

I'm liking the prepared piano in The Red Capes are Coming.

Yeah, me too (especially the beginning), even though we've heard variations of that stuff before in Zimmer's score.

There are some neat, sampled/electronica bits scattered in the action material, but its sometimes hard to discern in all the noise.

The solo violin seems like an undeveloped idea that just got snuck in there.

The beginning of Must There Be a Superman sounds Whitacrish to me, but 1:15-30 must be one of most painful 15 seconds of any film score in recent memory. Definitely Junkie and his arsenal of Doepfer modules.

Is there really a Batman "theme" though? Anybody latch on to one yet?

The Superman "theme" from MOS ZERO development. Heard it once, heard it all. Its still stated on solo piano exactly the same way. If that is all how the theme can be stated, speaks to its simple-minded construction.

6 minutes ago, Sharky said:

The beginning of Must There Be a Superman sounds Whitacrish to me, but 1:15-30 must be one of most painful 15 seconds of any film score in recent memory. Definitely Junkie and his arsenal of Doepfer modules.

Yes. One run-through of this album has reduced my hearing by at least 25%...

2:05 in "This is My World" is the passage I was referring to. 2:43 is classic Whitacre.

4 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Is there really a Batman "theme" though? Anybody latch on to one yet?

It's that deafening pounding rhythm + accompaniment, that opens up the album.

Headphones are what gave me tinnitus

so yeah, dont use them unless you know what music you are gonna hear

sheesh

Really like how Is She With You starts out sounding like a blend of gypsy music with a little Rock 'N Roll thrown in for good measure. 

There's absolutely a Batman theme, and if you've been listening well to samples even before this leak, you're familiar with it.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The Superman "theme" from MOS ZERO development. Heard it once, heard it all. Its still stated on solo piano exactly the same way. If that is all how the theme can be stated, speaks to its simple-minded construction.

Why does a theme need to develop?  That's no longer a requirement in the philosophy of film music, as far as I know.  There are different ways of doing things.

2 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

There's absolutely a Batman theme, and if you've been listening well to samples even before this leak, you're familiar with it.

Why does a theme need to develop?  That's no longer a requirement in the philosophy of film music, as far as I know.  There are different ways of doing things.

If not you could practically write a 5  minute suite and track the entire movie if it all has to sound the same. 

Movies are narratives with highs and lows and crescendos. Good music, it could be argued, would atleast seek in theory to support that experience with its own ebbs and flows.

And not to get academic, but its something worthier for a thoughtful (non hack) composer to write. Otherwise its so un-engaging to the composer himself, forget the listener.

Whatever suits the film is "worthy" to write - that doesn't, or shouldn't, have anything to do with complexity.  If it works, it works.

Are you a fan of the films of Kubrick or Malick?  Are you aware of their use of music as a more or less static framing device rather than a mirror of the dramatic arc of the film, and how they use entire unchanging pieces as large thematic blocks themselves?  Are you also aware of how Zimmer's approach has often echoed this, especially after working with Malick himself and more recently the similarly inclined Nolan? 

Perhaps if you approached this music with this in mind, rather than looking for more familiar approaches as in the music that you're more used to and enjoy more, you'd at least find less to dislike, if not necessarily to actively like.

11 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

What many people call development is actually variation.

Stating a theme in a different fashion isn't the same as development. Which in my mind suggest taking a theme on a linear journey, according to a preconceived idea.

Thematic development isn't very useful in film music. Thematic variation is.