Jóhann Jóhannsson - ARRIVAL (2016)

antovolk

Relentless is a good word.  I love the intensity of the music and how it perfectly echoes the intensity of the movie.  I will admit that I probably wouldn't enjoy the album as much if it wasn't a way to conjure how the movie makes me feel.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

I love the relentless, gritty percussion in several tracks -- adds a very threedimensional depth to the sound. But then he sometimes breaks up the agression with gorgeous cues like "Many Mothers" which has a bit of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA vibe going on; the desert despair. I also like how he uses his extensive background in electronic music to tastefully insert those elements organically (which is a thing you rarely see with more traditional composers attempting the same). A very engrossing sense of rhythm, which makes (almost) each track sound like its own composition.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Relentless is a good word.  I love the intensity of the music and how it perfectly echoes the intensity of the movie.  I will admit that I probably wouldn't enjoy the album as much if it wasn't a way to conjure how the movie makes me feel.

Yes, in the film it's pure genius -- echoing the gung ho, visceral, "metallic" aesthetics of Miller's approach; like a huge, operatic heavy metal car chase that lasts for two hours.

Elliott Goldenthal would have been a brilliant for that effect.

JXL's score just falls short on all fronts for me.

1 hour ago, Daniel Clamp said:

I've already seen The Arrival. It had Charlie Sheen in it.

A fun and underrated film -- including a fine score by Arthur Kempel. Whatever happened to him, btw?

I like these clips, but I fear my enjoyment of the score may suffer since I feel like I won't like the film. Villeneuve has some of what I like in him, but he's a bit too objective, a bit too sterile, a bit too... bland. Would like to feel differently after this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can listen to the entire score here (totally legally):

http://cuttingedge.sourceaudio.com/#!explorer?b=3633798

The tracks are all in alphabetical order, but according to the slates the chronological order is:

Shells Landing

Around The Clock News
The Shell
Approaching The Shell
Fear Of The Shells
Logogram Breakthrough
Fear of The Shells v2
Hazmat Off
Teaching Montage
Fear of the Shells v3
The Big Question
Planting The Bomb
Explosion
Ultimatum
One Of Twelve
Non Zero Sum Game
No Linear Time
Military Buildup
Decyphering
Louise Calls Chang
Shells Rise
End Credits

I've only listened through once and I'm relieved to say it isn't so droning as Sicario. 'Teaching Montage' is beautiful in a very odd way and is certainly a highlight.

I saw the film earlier today, and loved it! The music is pretty upfront too, especially in some of the earlier sequences. There's a lot of Terrence Malick inspiration in the movie, and there are parts of the score that reflect that; loads of minimal or careful textures. Also love how the choral 'outbursts' in a cue sort of mirror a 'morse' signal; or how certain chords also echo in the aliens' vocal communication.

Looking forward to hear the whole thing on album.

1 hour ago, Skelly said:

You can listen to the entire score here (totally legally):

http://cuttingedge.sourceaudio.com/#!explorer?b=3633798

The tracks are all in alphabetical order, but according to the slates the chronological order is:

Reveal hidden contents

I've only listened through once and I'm relieved to say it isn't so droning as Sicario. 'Teaching Montage' is beautiful in a very odd way and is certainly a highlight.

Thanks for this! Will check it out!

Well, it already has one of my favourite tracks of the year! 

I'll wait till I see the film this weekend before I hear the rest of the score.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

‘Arrival’ Could Never Have Been Made By A Studio: Here’s Why:

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/11/arrival-amy-adams-jeremy-renner-denis-villeneuve-oscars-2017-1201744589/

Holy, I'm starting to get intrigued!

I'm thinking -- or at least hoping -- that this could be even up your alley. We disagree on a lot of stuff, but also have a few overlapping things, and I think this might be one of them. It certainly has the originality and 'alternative'-ness you so desire.

Villeneuve's favorite sci-fi movies are also my favorite sci-fi movies and so it's easy to think things can't go wrong, but the reality is that he only impressed me once, with Prisoners. Somehow, the tone and his way of dramatizing doesn't always gel with me. However, based on Prisoners ( a movie that is a drama, a thriller and a moral fable), I know Villeneuve has it in him. 

Alex

I agree that PRISONERS was his greatest work so far. Untill ARRIVAL, at least, which for me topped that. But there are also things to like in ENEMY, SICARIO and INDENCIES. The others, I haven't seen, but those three were enough for me to label him one of the most exciting directors working today. I just don't hope he gets 'swallowed' by the big Hollywood system.

I don't know if the video will load outside Canada.

According the Radio-Canada film critic (who love all the dull movies that are released): "It's a triumph".

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/audio-video/media-7588089/la-chronique-cinema

:D

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Villeneuve's favorite sci-fi movies are also my favorite sci-fi movies and so it's easy to think things can't go wrong, but the reality is that he only impressed me once, with Prisoners. Somehow, the tone and his way of dramatizing doesn't always gel with me. However, based on Prisoners ( a movie that is a drama, a thriller and a moral fable), I know Villeneuve has it in him. 

Alex

I know you weren't so fond of Sicario. But you must admit that that's a work of a fine craftsman director.

I think Villeneuve is great. I hope this film lives up.

You suckers have been praising Kanadian art for a long time now! Howard Shore, James Cameron, William Shatner, Xavier Dolan, the late Leonard Cohen...Drake....Justin Bieber....okay maybe I should stop.

The Americans corrupted Bieber! That was not our doing!

New Zealand fucked up Tauriel!

They were once pure!