Jack Nicholson is BACK!!!

Thor

I can hardly believe it, but here you have it:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jack-nicholson-toni-erdmann-remake-retirement-oscar-nominated-1201980617/ 

Amazing news for me. He's my favourite actor of all time. I also quite liked TONI ERDMANN; the role should be a PERFECT fit for him.

Yes, he's refused every single movie offer in the last seven years -- untill this. Which he didn't only accept, he ASKED to do it, because he loved the original movie so much! I actually thought about him when I saw the original a few months ago. There were several "Nicholson" things going on with Peter Simonischek's role.

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

These days Nicholson is probably only brought out of retirement for what he considers to be really special scripts. Great, great actor. 

DeNiro and Pacino should try that, instead of hollowing out their legacy for yet more money.

Actually, I like De Niro in his comedy roles, even though Last Vegas sucked. Isn't he doing a TV series now? He should! Quality TV is the ideal playground for actors these days.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

DeNiro and Pacino should try that, instead of hollowing out their legacy for yet more money.

Indeed. When was the last time they did good roles in good films that actually challenged their talents? ANGELS IN AMERICA (2003) for Pacino? I think you'd have to go back to 1996/97 for De Niro. Hopefully, though, they'll remedy some of that in Martin Scorsese's THE IRISHMAN, where the two HEAT stars reunite.

The sequel is solid. Hoffman and Streisand have fun playing Gaylords parents. Not quote up the the level of the first perhaps, but a perfectly good sequel. Havent seen the third.

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I've seen the original about 5 times. It's always on at Saturday tea times here. 

Obviously you are looking for inspiration for when your Izzie starts bringing boyfriends to the house.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Couldn't agree more. The thing with De Niro is, at one point he seemed to choose projects based on their distance to his Tribeca operation; now, the recent projects with the most integrity that I can think of are his films with David O. Russell. Pacino makes slightly better choices, but not by much. And the less said about Righteous Kill, the better

Anyway, I'm thrilled about Nicholson returning to the scene. I'm a Nicholson completist, and have seen everything he's ever appeared in or contributed to. I only miss THUNDER ISLAND (1963), where he wrote the script, and may miss an episode or two of his ANDY GRIFFITH show appearances. But other than that, I've been starving for more.

Speaking of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, I always find it amusing how Nicholson sometimes interacted with child actor-turned-director Ron Howard on several occasions there.

jackron.jpg

Whats your fav Nicholson performance, Thor?

Mine is possibly his Jake Gittes from Chinatown. Loved how he took the Bogart-style private dick and really made the role his own. Cynical and world-weary, but with more class somehow. Expensive firm, expensive and perfectly tailored suit, using words like metier, almost as a way to distance himself from what is in fact quite a sleazy business.

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Whats your fav Nicholson performance, Thor?

Mine is possibly his Jake Gittes from Chinatown. Loved how he took the Bogart-style private dick and really made the role his own. Cynical and world-weary, but with more class somehow. Expensive firm, expensive and perfectly tailored suit, using words like metier, almost as a way to distance himself from what is in fact quite a sleazy business.

Good question, and this thread is a great opportunity for doing 'top lists'.

My five favourite Nicholson  performances are probably:

1. THE SHINING

2. Batman

3. Professione: Reporter

4. Five Easy Pieces

5. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Nothing terribly controversial, in other words. If I did a Top 10, I would probably have room for CHINATOWN in there, but it's tough competition!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Shining at 1? Interesting. Its generally not considered to be his best. 

Perhaps not, but the film is one of my favourites, and I've always liked Nicholson in evil, over-the-top mode. In fact, that's why I became obsessed with him in the first place. Then later I've obviously discovered his range, and also appreciated his more toned-down efforts. My no. 3, for example (PROFESSIONE: REPORTER) is probably his most understated performance ever.

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Jack is Jack. It's not like he's a chameleon. 

I think so, yes. In many of his late 60s and 70s films, for example, the range is on full display.

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think so, yes. In many of his late 60s and 70s films, for example, the range is on full display.

Sure, but than he got really famous!

I did like his Prizzi's Honor, where he played a rather dimwitted guy, against type.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Sure, but than he got really famous!

Well, it didn't stop there. I realize many people have issues with some of his 'maniacal' roles (I don't -- I ADORE them), but they don't really count that many. It's just that the films with these roles are so famous. Some 'non-maniacal' performances since 1980 include IRONWEED, THE CROSSING GUARD, BLOOD AND WINE, THE PLEDGE and ABOUT SCHMIDT.

Personally, I like his performances in THE BORDER, IRONWEED, TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, and HEARTBURN. His cameo in BROADCAST NEWS is priceless, and, of course there's something that might be familiar to the odd JWfan, here and there - THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Personally, I like his performances in THE BORDER, IRONWEED, TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, and HEARTBURN. His cameo in BROADCAST NEWS is priceless, and, of course there's something that might be familiar to the odd JWfan, here and there - THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK.

...and THE MISSOURI BREAKS.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

"You know what woke you up..?"

Awesome scene. Brando has carried the film untill that point, but then....

I honestly hadn't realized Jack Nicholson hadn't been in a film since 2010 until I opened this thread. Learn something new every day. 

15 hours ago, Thor said:

You think he's completely different person with each part he plays? A chameleon? That's a very unique point of view. His 'person' always seems to get the upper hand. From a certain point he just enlarged it. It's what makes him Jack Nicholson. It's something everybody knows and loves about him.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

You think he's completely different person with each part he plays? A chameleon? That's a very unique point of view. His 'person' always seems to get the upper hand. From a certain point he just enlarged it. It's what makes him Jack Nicholson. It's something everybody knows and loves about him.

Depends on what you mean with chameleon. As Stefan says, very few actors become completely different personas throughout their career, and it's not necessarily a good thing (Gary Oldman is perhaps one that comes to mind, and who does it brilliantly). But the range on display between something like THE KING OF MARVIN GARDENS to PROFESSIONE: REPORTER to THE SHINING to ABOUT SCHMIDT is impressive indeed. My 'pet peeve' has always been to confront the age-old prejudice that Jack is only about 'maniacal' roles in one form or another. That only tells me that the person in question has seen a very limited range of Jack Nicholson movies.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

a99013_christian-600x450.jpg

Not only does the appearance change, he also becomes a complete different person.

hEOs9mq.jpg