• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blumenkohl

The Great Prequel Revival - Is It Real? Is it Happening?

137 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yep. I think a better structure for the Prequel trilogy could have been:

Episode I: Ends with the beginning of the Clone Wars, and a 15-year old (or older) Anakin starting his training as a Jedi.

Episode II: The Clone Wars rage on during the entire film. Anakin becomes a Jedi Knight halfway through the film.

Episode III: End of the Clone Wars. Anakin becomes a Jedi Master/joins the Council.

When does Vader become Darth Vader?  How does the Emperor come to power?

Anakin would become Vader about halfway through Episode III (much like in ROTS, basically).

The Emperor would come to power by taking advantage of the whole Clone Wars situation somehow. I don't know. I didn't put much thought into it!

59 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So in the end there is no great Prequel revival!!

My feelings have never changed.  There's a lot to like and a lot to dislike.  They're incredibly flawed films with lots of cool ideas bogged down most of all by bad writing and boring direction.  Lucas had great ideas but just.... didn't know how to make good films.  His hubris in wanting to direct all 3 himself was probably his downfall.

I happen to love Episode VII, but I could see the argument made that JJ didn't have particularly original ideas but is highly skilled at executing an entertaining film.  He knows how to endear characters to an audience and keep the pace fast.  I mean, his camera movement is always so peppy (but not frantic) in all of his films.  It kind of reflects his over-caffeinated persona.

JohnSolo likes this

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

The idea that both sides in a conflict are human beings and are capable of heroics and cowardice, good and evil, etc. is of course true, and a sentiment often reflected in cinema (e.g. Clint Eastwood's Iwo Jim films). It's just the wrong message for Star Wars, which is starkly about good vs. evil.

If that were true, you wouldn't have characters in your beloved OT such as Anakin Skywalker and Han Solo.

28 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

If that were true, you wouldn't have characters in your beloved OT such as Anakin Skywalker and Han Solo.

Nonsense. Solo wasn't a "grey" character. Yeah, he was a roguish smuggler, but he was squarely a good guy.  And Darth Vader was an evil character....until he wasn't.

Oh, and it's the world's "beloved" OT. :)

7 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Alexcremers is, of course, WRONG about Interstellar's brilliance. IMO it was the best film of that year, and it's actually one of my favourite sci-fi films of all time, I loved it. And I enjoy it more than 2001.

That said, comparing it to Star Wars is folly.

2001 > Interstellar >>> Star Wars

1 minute ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

2001 > Interstellar >>> Star Wars

But which has the better score, TGP?

Better than Strauss (2 of them), Khachaturian, Ligeti?

Hmmmm....

I love Star Wars but the classical pieces that Stanley placed under those images is still stunning to me today. It's not an original score, of course, but the effect it achieves is more original or less conventional than Stars Wars (which does what 99% of all movies do).  

Just now, Alexcremers said:

I love Star Wars but the classical pieces that Stanley placed under those images is still stunning to me today. It's not an original score, of course, but the effect it achieves is more original or less conventional than Stars Wars (which does what 99% of all movies do).  

This makes no sense whatsoever.

9 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

2001 has the best use of music.  

Interstellar has the best score.

Star Wars has... a lot of fans. 

Incorrect!

Try again!

Bilbo Skywalker likes this

8 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

agreed

:lol:

You all know I've spoken fondly of Star Wars music, quite a bit recently in fact.  

But it can never be on the same level as some other film music for one reason: the franchise itself.  

It's nothing to do with Williams' ability.  He can and does write at an absurd level.  But you can't truly separate a score from its film, and Star Wars films will always be second rate material.

58 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm sorry that you lack the intelligence to understand it. 

giphy.gif

Moreso than Interstellar? Which basic temporal mechanics plot came from a good TNG episode?

Come on!

Perhaps the skeleton is comparable in that way, but the execution, and inclusion of the world's leading scientific authority on the subject, push it far beyond.

Lucas tried to take Star Wars beyond its monomyth roots, and look how that turned out.  It is, and always will be, just another iteration of the same old story we've been telling since we had big enough brains.  There's nothing wrong with that, but let's not kid ourselves about what it is.  And for the style over substance crowd: even the style isn't really all that original, is it?

Nick1066 likes this

Its a good sci-film, but you grossly overestimate its achievements.

It's already been forgotten anyway 

For all films (or novels, even), it's not about the story you're telling, but about how you're telling it.  STYLE IS SUBSTANCE!

Having a scientis involved in your movie, how ever prominent and learned he is, really doesn't mean much to me. 

Sci-fi shouldn't be too scientifically accurate anyway. It dates a film.

I find 'Interstellar' far from exceptional - agreeable is more like it - but in a thread packed with the usual Star Wars (plus prequels, yuck!) sad sacks with the intellectual curiosity of paramecia (how many times can you obsess over something as trivial ?) i stand behind TGP.

TheGreyPilgrim likes this

I loved Interstellar, and liked it much better than Gravity, which was stunning when I saw it in 3D at Leister Square, but like Avatar didn't hold up as well on home viewing. But that said, I'd put Interstellar behind Contact, one of my all time favourites.

Contact, like Interstellar, also steered into overt sentimentality, but handled it a little more adeptly I think.

Well of course, JWFan Pretension must present a united front.  Those who make assumptions and generalizations about people they don't know to feel superior must survive through unity!

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Contact was better anyway!

Review!

I thought Interstellar was an exceptional film; sure, the actual scientific evidence behind the movie is pretty shaky, but it makes for an entertaining and thought-provoking film.

Nick1066 likes this

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well of course, JWFan Pretension must present a united front.  Those who make assumptions and generalizations about people they don't know to feel superior must survive through unity!

You shut the fuck up!

Thought provoking? How?

People told me Inception was thought provoking too.

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I loved Interstellar, and liked it much better than Gravity, which was stunning when I saw it in 3D at Leister Square, but like Avatar didn't hold up as well on home viewing. But that said, I'd put Interstellar behind Contact, one of my all time favourites.

Trick question: where would you place Arrival in all that?

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Review!

One day, maybe...

1 minute ago, publicist said:

You shut the fuck up!

That's the spirit!

I like lots of sci-fi films and don't spend my time ranking them against each other, nor telling others how they should feel about them.