One of my very favourite "genres" of music is choral music and some time ago, I have been introduced to works of Eric Whitacre. Many of them quickly became my favourite and I listen to them on regular basis.

And so I'm wondering, what are the thoughts on him and his music over here.

For example: What are your favourite albums and pieces? What about his orchestral writing? Have you participated in his Virtual Choirs? How do you rate the Eric Whitacre Singers? What do you think about his personality and his rather expressive conducting? Have you ever seen him perform live?

Well said karelm.  I'm a fan and know many people deeply touched by his music.  Yes, he is a favorite target for the more cynical and pretentious in the classical world, but he is an earnestly passionate guy beyond any legitimate personal criticism and whatever you think of his music, you can't deny that he's doing a lot to bring young people into the fold.  

21 hours ago, karelm said:

In the youtube Proms clip he jokes about how many cell phones go off normally during Proms performances but here they must wait for his cue.  I can just imagine how everyone was patiently just watching him to not screw up.

I was at that concert @karelm and in fact it was my first taste of Eric Whitacre's music.  I had downloaded the Deep Field app beforehand and you are so right about patiently watching him and hoping he would make it obvious when to come in!  It was a truly magical experience as the lights in the hall had been dimmed and the choir filled the aisles all around the auditorium.

Since that concert I have seen Eric Whitacre three more times in London, once again at the Royal Albert Hall (again with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra), once at Milton Court with the BBC Singers and most recently at St. James's in Piccadilly with the Eric Whitacre Singers.  He comes across as a genuinely nice person and always seems more than happy to promote the works of other composers alongside his own, the likes of John Powell and Laura Mvula among them.  I was very taken with his I Fall, part of a larger work written for the death of a dear friend, and hope that it is recorded soon.

One of my favourite pieces of his is Goodnight Moon.  Who would have thought that a woman singing the words of a children's bedtime story book could be so moving?  This recording features the LSO and Eric Whitacre's lovely wife, Hila Plitmann.

2 hours ago, Omen II said:

I was at that concert @karelm and in fact it was my first taste of Eric Whitacre's music.  I had downloaded the Deep Field app beforehand and you are so right about patiently watching him and hoping he would make it obvious when to come in!  It was a truly magical experience as the lights in the hall had been dimmed and the choir filled the aisles all around the auditorium.

Since that concert I have seen Eric Whitacre three more times in London, once again at the Royal Albert Hall (again with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra), once at Milton Court with the BBC Singers and most recently at St. James's in Piccadilly with the Eric Whitacre Singers.  He comes across as a genuinely nice person and always seems more than happy to promote the works of other composers alongside his own, the likes of John Powell and Laura Mvula among them.  I was very taken with his I Fall, part of a larger work written for the death of a dear friend, and hope that it is recorded soon.

One of my favourite pieces of his is Goodnight Moon.  Who would have thought that a woman singing the words of a children's bedtime story book could be so moving?  This recording features the LSO and Eric Whitacre's lovely wife, Hila Plitmann.

My god, what a voice.  That is a beautiful work, thanks for posting.

Thanks for the exhaustive response @karelm. What you wrote is pretty much exactly what I think about him.

11 hours ago, Omen II said:

That's my currently most played piece by him, although I have came to prefer the newly released SATB version:

Also, speaking about Deep Field, I can't wait for the current Virtual Choir to be finished and released. I think it will be magnificent. This time, he really did everything so that literally everyone capable of making vocal sound could participate. Just as you say, he really does go out of his way to bring everyone into music.

On 9/1/2018 at 11:04 AM, Eändil said:

That's my currently most played piece by him, although I have came to prefer the newly released SATB version:

By the way, can these singles by EW (such as SATB Goodnight Moon, The Star-Spangled Banner, Hurt or i carry your heart) be obtained in higher quality than Spotify or Amazon's MP3? I am not familiar with iTunes, do they offer it in lossless or is it just lossy AAC?