Lucas/Williams discussion re: PHANTOM MENACE?

thx99

Help me determine if I'm losing my mind or not...

Back in the day (pre Blu-ray releases), I recall seeing a "making of" Phantom Menace video, possibly on the DVD release, in which Lucas and Williams are seen sitting in the control room at Abbey Road Studios. Lucas says, rather emphatically, that Williams has already scored the last reel of Episode III, referring to "Duel of the Fates".

There is no such clip in the "Movie Music" DVD featurette, and I can find a similar discussion (but not the same interaction or location that I recall) in the DVD featurette titled "The Beginning" (starting at 58:17):

So where in the hell is it?!?! Or am I just imagining that this interaction took place in this manner?!?

Thanks for your help!!

I believe that is the exact clip.

I remember years ago discussion that Battle of the Heroes was composed for TPM, but saved for ROTS. I'm certain it's not true, but I remember that discussion??

Hmmm I only recall this documentary version of this discussion between JW and Lucas about the eventual significance of DotF in Episode III and perhaps something mentioned in the tie in Making Of books of TPM.

I can't recall ever seeing such a clip (not counting the one in video you posted). Maybe it was a printed/written interview?

Karol

The brief clip in the video is the only instance I remember where Williams and Lucas discussed the topic. However, there was also a brief mention in the Boston Globe article written by Richard Dyer back in '99, when he was invited at the Abbey Road sessions:

One day 88 professional singers from London Voices arrive to record two episodes with chorus. One is funeral music for one of the film's emotional climaxes; the other is for the closing credits, a terrifying, primitive pagan rite that makes even Stravinsky's Les Noces sound tame. Lucas loves this dark, driven music so much he shows off the recording for Spielberg when he arrives. Spielberg says to Williams, "I'm glad I didn't drop around for a cigar on the day you wrote that." Lucas says Williams doesn't know it yet, but this music will accompany a crucial scene in the third new film.

I feel like this is one of those things like the Biggs scene in Star Wars that people remember being in the movie because of the comic book, storybook etc. I believe that what was been posted in this thread is the extent of what was said regarding the matter.

is it where Lucas says to Williams, "I love the Chorus, you didn't realise this but goes into the 3rd film very well. I think it will be important to reprise" something like that.

Help me determine if I'm losing my mind or not...

Back in the day (pre Blu-ray releases), I recall seeing a "making of" Phantom Menace video, possibly on the DVD release, in which Lucas and Williams are seen sitting in the control room at Abbey Road Studios. Lucas says, rather emphatically, that Williams has already scored the last reel of Episode III, referring to "Duel of the Fates".

There is no such clip in the "Movie Music" DVD featurette, and I can find a similar discussion (but not the same interaction or location that I recall) in the DVD featurette titled "The Beginning" (starting at 58:17):

So where in the hell is it?!?! Or am I just imagining that this interaction took place in this manner?!?

Thanks for your help!!

I am almost sure they were referring to Qui-Gon Jinn's funeral. I remember Williams saying something about Lucas telling him how he woas going to use that theme at the end of Episode III and Williams replying "what are you waiting for? Go to do that!". There were several periodical video featurette released by starwars.com at that time (that was over 16 years ago: would you believe that?)

I feel like this is one of those things like the Biggs scene in Star Wars that people remember being in the movie because of the comic book, storybook etc. I believe that what was been posted in this thread is the extent of what was said regarding the matter.

That scene was in the original version of the film that I saw on TV in the early 80's.

As was the scene where Luke gazes up at the Blockade Runner battle using binoculars.

I found Williams speaking about the matter in what appears to be a promotional video posted to YouTube (by Steef). The section starts at 1:50 and the specific reference starts at 2:20.

Unfortunately, this still is not the clip I remember seeing. I distinctly recall seeing Williams seated, either with his back to the camera or in profile in the left-hand side of the camera view, and Lucas further from the camera, also seated, facing more toward the camera.

My upload!

I gave you proper credit!!

That was in the Special Edition of the documentary. This is the original untouched version, in which Williams speaks first.

I'm not following you.

Are you saying that the clip I'm trying to find is from the "Special Edition of the documentary"? If so, what exactly is the "Special Edition of the documentary"?

Or are you saying that the Williams interview segment from Steef's YouTube upload that I reference above is from "Special Edition of the documentary"? It's definitely not in the "Movie Music" webisode, nor in the lengthier DVD documentary titled "The Beginning" (which I link to in the first post). So again, what exactly is the "Special Edition of the documentary" you mention?

is it where Lucas says to Williams, "I love the Chorus, you didn't realise this but goes into the 3rd film very well. I think it will be important to reprise" something like that.

Isn't it in the music part of the 'Lynne's Diary' series of featurettes? It's on the original TPM DVD.

Isn't it in the music part of the 'Lynne's Diary' series of featurettes? It's on the original TPM DVD.

No, it's not. The closest we get to the discussion is in "The Beginning" doc that I included above.