1st Annual JWFan Award

Koray Savas

Okay, maybe this isn't the first time the board will have done this, but whatever. I think we should hold our own little awards ceremony to coincide with the Oscars. I'm not really interested in a bunch of categories and whatnot, my idea was to just have our own poll for best score of the year.

So this thread will be for you guys to post your top 5 favorite scores of the year (2008 that is). I will take the 5 most listed scores and those will be the final nominees. After which I will post a poll where we can all vote for the best of the 5, and then we'll have what JWFan thinks is the best score of '08. Sound good?

There are some restrictions. I will only allow scores composed for films and video games (ADDITION: TV scores are allowed). So no JW concertos or anything like that. If you list them I'll just ignore them. Also, please choose 5 nominees, I'm sure everyone here has heard at least 5 scores from '08.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'll start.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (John Williams)

Gake no Ue no Ponyo (Joe Hisaishi)

Km. 31 (Carles Cases)

Wanted (Danny Elfman)

Holocene (Jonas Bohlin)

I jotted down a list and it's actually pretty tough to pick five. I'm gonna go with these:

Revolutionary Road by Thomas Newman

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by Alexandre Desplat

Mercenaries 2: World In Flames by Chris Tilton

Frost/Nixon by Hans Zimmer

Cloverfield by Michael Giacchino

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams

Slumdog Millionaire - A.R. Rahman

Wall-E - Thomas Newman

In Bruges - Carter Burwell

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed by Mark Griskey

Eh, that's it. I haven't heard enough 2008 scores to form a top five. How is Revolutionary Road?

Wall-E - Thomas Newman

Defiance - JNH

Hancock - John Powell (debated this one, but when I know I'm going to love the score by two tracks into my first listen, it's damn good)

Last place is tricky because there have been a lot of scores, some only recently heard, which I would consider merely 'good' (but better than the rest of the music last year), but I think it has to go to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull given that the score in the film is miles better than what we got on album.

Like Henry I haven't heard enough to form a totally unbiased opinion, but I think my 3rd & 4th choices are obscure/popcorny enough that they're not likely to cause a problem hehehe.

Eh, that's it. I haven't heard enough 2008 scores to form a top five. How is Revolutionary Road?

Boring. Same 2 chords over and over again. Plus it sounds like everything else Newman has done before in his new age vein.

Boring. Same 2 chords over and over again. Plus it sounds like everything else Newman has done before in his new age vein.

He has a distinct style, and it's awesome. And it's 3 notes, not 2! <_<

You can nominated game scores Henry, didn't you really like The Force Unleashed?

I feel the same way about RR unfortunately - there doesn't seem to be very much to it beyond the theme. True, he has an inimitable style, but it doesn't always make great listening if there's little variation on that style.

I'll give the FYC stream a listen sometime and choose a few tracks to buy.

Oh right!

You can nominate game scores Henry, didn't you really like The Force Unleashed?

Oh right!

From listening to samples I just may agree with that. There's just something I can't stand about the New Age sound in general.

Oh yeah I forgot about those streams. Henry, just go there instead of listening to samples lol.

Thanks for seeing me through this. :)

After seeing Defiance I'm really glad to have the extra music, especially "Tank."

Unfortunately I couldn't stand that cue. It's the ultimate in pretentious predictability.

Well I'm going to have to flaunt the rules a little. I haven't heard enough eligible scores either so I'm throwing in a couple of TV scores with the full knowlege they won't be counted, but deserve recognition nonetheless.

Cloverfield- Michael Giacchino

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- John Williams

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed- Mark Griskey

Doctor Who 4.13: Journey's End- Murray Gold

Battlestar Galactica 4.10: Revelations- Bear McCreary

Cloverfield

:)

I have to ask: is this really a score? I know Goldsmith's half-hour Patton is classic and all that, but this is just one ten minute piece. It underscores nothing and it's only there because Giacchino wanted to do something for the film.

It's a legit question. Since the nature of the film meant there would be no score proper, the end credits was the only chance for Giacchino to write something so I think it should count. Plus, it's just that good!

Horton Hears a Who - John Powell

Igor - Patrick Doyle

Speed Racer - Michael Giacchino

Hancock - John Powell

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (John Williams)

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Mark Griskey)

Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D (Andrew Lockington)

Speed Racer (Michael Giacchino)

I Am Legend (James Newton Howard) - Does this one count? It was released in 2008

Hancock (John Powell) - If not, it'll be this one instead

Legend was very late '07 in the US, but '08 in Europe. Thing is, that makes it only eligible for those on the continent, so I'd say it doesn't count. Nice substitute though :(

Koray, if you're gonna allow TV series, I want to change one of my votes (KotCS in exchange for the same Doctor Who episode John chose).

No one else liked Horton? ;)

I love it, but there are better scores from this year.

I'm going to set this Wednesday, January 21st as the deadline to get your nominees list in. I already have a Top 5 for what I've tallied so far, and one score in there definitely surprised me. There are a couple of scores that can squeeze in with more votes, so let's see how this ends up.

1. The X-Files: I Want to Believe - Mark Snow

2. Wanted - Danny Elfman

3. Standard Operating Procedure - Danny Elfman

4. Quantum of Solace - David Arnold

5. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams

What did you remove for QOS?

We've got a 3-way tie. I may have to do another thread just so we can eliminate one score. Or if Luke chose 2 more scores for his list I could count what he voted for. That would help break it.