#2 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21225 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

Nice cover!

Although if the arrival of Bane is enough to borrow the phrase "A Storm Is Coming" from Return of the King, then Gotham City must not get much rain.

#3 tannhauser

tannhauser

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

I have a slight hunch that "Rise" will be good.
Oh, War Horse is great! - John Williams

#4 Jay

Jay

Iron FEET!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36834 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

I think it's interesting that the OST CD is shorter than both previous OSTS (which were 60 minutes and 73 minutes respectively). I wonder if there was also less music written for the film overall (even though the film is the longest of the three), or if Mr. Zimmer really just felt that these 51 minutes were the only pieces he wanted out there.

Realistically though, they are probably just saving more highlights for the eventual 2disc "Deluxe Edition" :P

#5 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Are there going to be techno remixes like in case of PotC 4?

#6 Score_Fan

Score_Fan

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

51 minutes? I dont want to sound ungreatful or anything, but WTF.

That's barely a 3rd of the score

#7 Jay

Jay

Iron FEET!

• Administrators
  • 36834 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

You know how much music was recorded?

#8 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18273 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

to borrow the phrase "A Storm Is Coming" from Return of the King,

Yeah, that's cheap. Zimmer thinks he's Howard Shore. That makes me sick!

That track probably is the chant we heard in the trailer, the guys singing: "Moussak, moussak, moussak, moussaka! Moussak, moussak, moussak, moussaka!"

ImBirdman_zps15b4c1eb.png

#9 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32814 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

It's whatever, the sessions will leak like the others.

In another JWFan EXCLUSIVE, here is the track list for the first time:

Guess you weren't the only one WB gave it to :P
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#10 Mr Big

Mr Big

Son of Grinch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

Is it just me or does the bat on the CD cover look like bird droppings?

#11 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18273 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

Nope. Looks like bat droppings to me.
  • KK. likes this

#12 KK.

KK.

Rich in Fish!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9383 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

Nope. Looks like bat droppings to me.

Bingo!

to borrow the phrase "A Storm Is Coming" from Return of the King,

Yeah, that's cheap. Zimmer thinks he's Howard Shore. That makes me sick!

I think there's a conspiracy afoot...same opening cue title...could it be a hint? Perhaps its Zimmer's way of letting us know that he'll be replacing Shore for The Hobbit!

#13 Wycket

Wycket

Happy 50th Doctor Who

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1359 posts
  • Location:A parallel universe, where Williams and Zimmer fans get along in harmony.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

Right. The whole fact that Hathaway says that line in a trailer must have been Nolan's nod to Jackson that Zimmer should take over the music duties. I can't wait....... :drool:

#14 lonzoe

lonzoe

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

Probably a lot more thought was put in that cover than the score itself.

#15 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6796 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

ZING!

Is the cover supposed to be graffiti on a wall or something? Sorry to discuss the cover and not the score, but I'm sure the score will be pure shit anyway.

#16 Jay

Jay

Iron FEET!

• Administrators
  • 36834 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

It's chalk, you see it being drawn in one of the trailers

#17 KK.

KK.

Rich in Fish!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9383 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

We already established this. They're bat droppings!

#18 Red

Red

Youngster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

Doesn't look like the album will be in sequential order.
Do you like John Williams? His early work was a little too jazzy for my taste, but when Jaws came out in '75 I really think he came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and an air of consummate professionalism that really gives the pieces a big boost. He's been compared to Jerry Goldsmith but I think John has a far more leitmotif-driven style of composing. In '82 John composed this, E.T., his most accomplished album to date. I think his undisputed masterpiece is "The Magic of Halloween", a theme so catchy most people don't listen to what it means. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of childhood and the importance of friendship, it's also a personal statement about the man himself. Hey Paul!
- Patrick Bateman on the Maestro

John Takis' Complete Hook Analysis

#19 Jay

Jay

Iron FEET!

• Administrators
  • 36834 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

Has there ever been a Zimmer OST that was?

#20 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32814 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

I'm expecting this to be on At World's End level. We'll see. Third time's the charm, right?

Then again, I have no problem with his first two efforts.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#21 KK.

KK.

Rich in Fish!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9383 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

I'm expecting this to be on At World's End level. We'll see. Third time's the charm, right?

That certainly was the case with At World's End. However, I'm not sure if he can pull it off...

For the past few years, I've been hoping Zimmer would pick up his career, but he kept disappointing. I was thinking we'd get an epic score for POTC 4 but that didn't happen. And then there was Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows where I was hoping he would channel that refreshing creativity and genuine fun of the first score, but he disappointed there too.

I'm curious to see if he'll surprise with this score, but I don't have much faith.

#22 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17679 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

I'm just excited to hear myself in the virtual chorus on the soundtrack. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get a billing on the OST cover, but oh well. The cover art itself is nice.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#23 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32814 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:15 AM

That certainly was the case with At World's End. However, I'm not sure if he can pull it off...

For the past few years, I've been hoping Zimmer would pick up his career, but he kept disappointing. I was thinking we'd get an epic score for POTC 4 but that didn't happen. And then there was Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows where I was hoping he would channel that refreshing creativity and genuine fun of the first score, but he disappointed there too.

I'm curious to see if he'll surprise with this score, but I don't have much faith.

Well he explicitly stated that he was done once Verbinski left, but I guess they convinced him to go on for one more. His heart obviously wasn't it in, what with most of the score being composed by others. I agree that it isn't very good, but it was great to finally see him work with Rodrigo Y Gabriela. Been a fan of theirs for quite awhile, and they add a nice new flavor to the material.

As for Game Of Shadows, I haven't seen the film so I cannot comment on how the music works there, but on album it's a much darker approach, which could explain the lack of energy that was present in the first.

#24 ManofDestiny

ManofDestiny

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:26 AM

I am considering saving my money and wait for a 2CD incomplete release. If it eventually get release, it will cost at least $40 you know.

#25 lonzoe

lonzoe

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:21 AM

I'll take my time with this one. I won't rush out and get it. That only depends on how good it is in the film.

#26 paleo

paleo

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, but whatever happened to James Newton Howard? He made the other scores listenable (although they disappeared from my ipod quickly and I never missed them since).

#27 ManofDestiny

ManofDestiny

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

He...he......no. It's just too hard. Don't make me say it. I am too sad to tell you what happened to Mr. JNH.

#28 paleo

paleo

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

Well, I know that he did write the maybe not great, but enjoyable Snow White score ;-) Maybe he found his dignity and ran away from TDKR as fast as he could? In any case, this album is not on top of my wish list...

#29 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9553 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, but whatever happened to James Newton Howard? He made the other scores listenable (although they disappeared from my ipod quickly and I never missed them since).

I'm happy he isn't - the less he's forced to write like Zimmer, the better, in my book.

I'm not exactly enthralled at the prospects for this score - the film doesn't call for the sort of material that would inspire a great thematic score, and it's evident by now that Nolan doesn't want that anyway,

Most likely scenario is that one or two cues somewhere in the middle of the film will catch my attention (I like 'Like a Dog Chasing Cars' and 'Watch the World Burn' from TDK, plus Howard's Dent material).

Having said that,I'd rather Zimmer than a clone any day.

#30 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18273 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

Having said that,I'd rather Zimmer than a clone any day.

I don't know about that. Zimmer seems to be mimicking his clones, lately.

#31 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32814 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Howard's voice is very clear in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight to me. He may sound more derivative and generic in his other Hollywood projects like The Green Lantern and The Hunger Games, but it honestly doesn't sound like Zimmer in the slightest. It's simply uninspired Howard.

#32 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9733 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Howard's voice is very clear in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight to me. He may sound more derivative and generic in his other Hollywood projects like The Green Lantern and The Hunger Games, but it honestly doesn't sound like Zimmer in the slightest. It's simply uninspired Howard.

Yes and yes.

And his parts where the best part of the Batman scores.

#33 KK.

KK.

Rich in Fish!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9383 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

Are there going to be techno remixes like in case of PotC 4?

You want remixes?

#34 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17679 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

His recent blockbuster works are definitely derived from Zimmer's sound. It doesn't mean they're interchangeable, but without Zimmer's influence on film music JNH's works would sound very different than they do.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#35 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32814 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:11 AM

Well who knows what the temp tracks were. Obviously studios and producers request a more contemporary, textural sounding score, in part due to Zimmer's popular sound, but that doesn't Zimmer is the direct influence.

The man can always choose to pass on projects, after all. In the liner notes for Snow White though, the director comments that Howard put his all into it and had a long time to work on it, so I prefer to stick with my theory that his writing takes a stylistic change with each decade. Maybe working with Zimmer on Nolan's films got him onto it? Yet they've been acquainted since the early 90s.

#36 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17679 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

Well who knows what the temp tracks were. Obviously studios and producers request a more contemporary, textural sounding score, in part due to Zimmer's popular sound, but that doesn't Zimmer is the direct influence.

Yes it does. If JNH's change in style is a result of studio producers asking him to write more like Zimmer, it doesn't change the fact that his style is sounding more like Zimmer's.

The man can always choose to pass on projects, after all. In the liner notes for Snow White though, the director comments that Howard put his all into it and had a long time to work on it, so I prefer to stick with my theory that his writing takes a stylistic change with each decade.

I'm not disputing that, I'm saying that this change in style has brought JNH closer to Zimmer than he was before.

#37 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

• Members
  • 32814 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

Yes it does. If JNH's change in style is a result of studio producers asking him to write more like Zimmer, it doesn't change the fact that his style is sounding more like Zimmer's.

Nah, that's an indirect influence ;)

But it really doesn't sound like Zimmer. If you want to hear someone emulating Zimmer perfectly, look no further than James Dooley's SOCOM 3. There are a couple other examples, that I can't think of, too. The approach might be more Zimmeresque in that its less thematic, more textural and functions like sound design, but the writing in itself couldn't be more different.

#38 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17679 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

He doesn't perfectly emulate Zimmer, I'm just saying Zimmer has largely influenced his current style.

#39 publicist

publicist

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5932 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

In the liner notes for Snow White though, the director comments that Howard put his all into it and had a long time to work on it, so I prefer to stick with my theory that his writing takes a stylistic change with each decade.

Sadly, his 'all' in this case consists of pleasant but interchangeable LADY IN THE WATER/I AM LEGEND-leftovers and obnoxious trailer music for the action sequences. If this is what comes out if he's got a long schedule, i'm all for KING KONG's 4 weeks.
You wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle Plans Are Here Again."

#40 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9553 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

I really don't think schedule has anything to do with it - the director of Snow White asked, and he received.

Honestly, I think it would just take a director wanting a completely traditional score, to bring him back down to earth.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hans Zimmer, 2012 Scores

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users