Williams reminisces E.T.

TownerFan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very nice article by Jon Burlingame and some nice anecdotes from Williams, old and new. :)

Very nice little article. I like Spielberg's praise, "this nation's greatest composer and our national treasure...Without question, John Wiiliams has been the single most significant contributor to my success". Reminds me that JW is so much more than just a great film composer.

Sorry off topic slightly, i looked at that AFI top 15 film scores, and I can't believe raiders (or better yet, (although i'm sure i'm in the minority ToD)) score isn't on there! Blasphemy! :)

yeah... maybe spielberg didnt told williams he hacked up the piece choosing his favorite takes...

Do you want to hear horn flubs or wrong notes when you listen to your favorite music? No.

That's why they record several takes. Even Max Steiner did this.

Does anyone know who the roster of players were for the E.T. original score? Someone was able to dig this up for 1941 so I suspect the details are out there.

yeah... maybe spielberg didnt told williams he hacked up the piece choosing his favorite takes...

Do you want to hear horn flubs or wrong notes when you listen to your favorite music? No.

That's why they record several takes. Even Max Steiner did this.

Heh, there are horn flubs abound in E.T., especially the upper register work at the end. But I enjoy it, it reminds you that there are humans performing.

The score is more than 76 minutes. Probably just an error and unfortunately not letting slip that the complete score is being released. That photo of Williams is sensational. He looks especially wizardly.

Williams1980conducting.jpg

Very nice little article. I like Spielberg's praise, "this nation's greatest composer and our national treasure...Without question, John Wiiliams has been the single most significant contributor to my success". Reminds me that JW is so much more than just a great film composer.

Sorry off topic slightly, i looked at that AFI top 15 film scores, and I can't believe raiders (or better yet, (although i'm sure i'm in the minority ToD)) score isn't on there! Blasphemy! :)

This made me want to look up the list...but look at what Wikipedia has at #1! http://en.wikipedia...._of_Film_Scores

Star Wars won that poll! http://www.afi.com/1...s/scores.aspx

Whose sick idea of a joke is this? :angry:

This made me want to look up the list...but look at what Wikipedia has at #1! http://en.wikipedia...._of_Film_Scores

Star Wars won that poll! http://www.afi.com/1...s/scores.aspx

Whose sick idea of a joke is this? :angry:

That's weird. The last time I checked the AFI list on wikipedia, it had Star Wars first (as it should be). Is this some new updated list?

The score is more than 76 minutes. Probably just an error and unfortunately not letting slip that the complete score is being released. That photo of Williams is sensational. He looks especially wizardly.

Looks like he's fencing.

Looks like he's fencing.

En Garde!!!

Actually he is casting a spell. The picture was taken milliseconds before the pyrotechnics began. None in the orchestra survived.

"There have been three different album configurations of E.T. over the years (every note of the 76-minute score has now been released)."

Really???

The article has a "nearly" just before "every note" that make it correct.

Hmm... maybe. I see the Laserdisc isolated score more as an "extra feature", and not much as an official release.

It's not accessible to everybody, unlike the CD releases. You need hardware that is not manufactured anymore, plus there's the inconvenience of changing sides (I think there're 5 sides on E.T.), the huge gaps of silence between tracks (since it's suposed to be in sync with the film).

But, yes, we have music there that's not available anywhere else.