Star Wars: One of the Greatest Screenplays

sulky

The Writer's Guild of America recently released a list of the 101 Greatest Screenplays.

George Lucas' script for Star Wars was placed at 68 (right below Melissa Mathison's script for E.T., which came in at 67).

Here's the full list.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting list. They dared to consider some recent screenplays to be as good as the classic ones, which never happens in other fields and lists.

I find the presence of American Beauty interesting, since the end of the screenplay was never filmed, and is widely regarded as a huge blunder in scripting, as it ends with a completely useless Court trial.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind also struck me as grossly out of place, especially that high on the list.

Tim

100. MEMENTO

Screenplay by Christopher Nolan. Based on the short story "Memento Mori" by Jonathan Nolan

Should have been placed higher but I'm still glad to see it on there.

Justin - Who thinks Seven or Fight Club should be on there.

A lot of excellent choices there (glad to see Network made the top 10). Tootsie blongs much lower. Same Eternal Sunshine. Groundhog Day is great, but not that great. One Flew over the Cooku's Nest belongs lower. Schindler's List belongs much higher. Sixth Sense doesn't deserve a place on the list. Neither does Star Wars.

But I am really impressed with a whole lot of the names on the list. I'm not quite sure why Casablanca is consistantly #1 on these things but it is a marvelous script (not as marvelous as The Godfather, though)00

Hannah and Her Sisters, I hadn't thought of it in quite some time, that is a movie I need to revisit.

Very happy to see Field of Dreams on that list at #88. It should have been higher. But I digress. It was just one of the most perfect movies to ever be made. The final scene with his Dad makes me cry like a baby everytime.

"Dad? You wanna have a catch?"

I'm tearing up as I'm writing about it. Just one of the few movies to really dig into me emotionally.

My only gripe with Psycho is it looks like Hitch was being stingy with money, so he shot a good deal of the film in Alfred Hitchcock Presents TV style.

That's one of my favorite things about the film, Hitch not taking the glossy, high class feel he had just achieved, par excellence, on North By Northwest, but using his TV show's crew, (relatively)shoe-string budget, creating a film of an entirely different nature.

My only problem with the film is the notoriously out of place ending. Though it's still my favorite Hitchcock film.

@hornist: Why is Being John Malkovich so great? This is an honest-to-god question. I used to know why, but upon seeing it recently, I forgot what's so friggin' great about the film. What is the point of the film?

Nice to see Lawrence so high on the list. It is one of the most quotable films ever. I'm also glad for Raiders, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Graduate and Back to the Future.

Morlock wrote:

@hornist: Why is Being John Malkovich so great? This is an honest-to-god question. I used to know why, but upon seeing it recently, I forgot what's so friggin' great about the film. What is the point of the film?  

The whole story is so original and absurd.Very well written dialoque , the jokes are funny.

It felt so fresh exception to the mainstream movies I'm so tired of.

I'm not a big fan of John Cusack but here he made brilliant role like the rest of the crew.

The puppet dancing sequence in the opening(with Bartok's music) is fabulous and the

use of music is overall gives you many great moments.

These are some reasons that make this movie enjoyable in my opinion.

hornist - who has never seen the number 2 movie of that list either :)

Indeed, Steef. Just by reading the screenplay, the whole thing seems to be a very very bad idea.

I loved Lucas' speech in the AFI homage:

I went from not being able to write a word to becoming the king of wodden dialogue".

The list is so USA-centric it's laughable...blah

I only spotted two films not in English on the whole list! They were near the end, too. How lucky I am to have all the best screenplays ever made produced in my native language. I can now confidently ignore German and Japanese cinema, safe in the knowledge I'm missing nothing. :sigh:

(Presumably non-American writers were eligible for consideration since Christopher Nolan and Peter Shaffer, among others, are on there.)

Steef and Merkel are correct.

Even the WGA can't rank screenplays, and say which is best. Duel or Jaws directed by a lesser talent than Steven Spielberg could have been the most forgettable of films.

The small polls that we've all done recently are more valid than the list the WGA has compiled; at least we voted on our "favourite", which is very different from saying with any certainty what's the "best".

The list is so USA-centric it's laughable...blah

since its the writers guild of AMERICA, it would be USA centric.

which is fine, because thats where the best movies are made.Good God, can you see the uproar of all those non American, having their hissy fits right about now

The Writers Guild of China also recently published their list of the greatest screenplays; they were all Chinese.

Of course, the rest of the world just laughs at their blinkered attitudes, pitying those with such narrow views...

When they become a free democracy, that will all change, won't it? :sigh:

which is fine, because thats where the best movies are made.

It's also because, undoubtedly, the majority of films you have watched are American.

Joe thy name is fallacy. :sigh:

Justin

It's just that... if they want to do a real WGA list... then stick to it, don't go "hey let's include those screenplays 'cause there's a couple of spot left near 100" even if they are from outside the USofA. It doesn't make any sense. If they had excluded them I would have understood (the fact that it's the WGA), but to include them makes the list laughable.

Anyway I know personally which are my *own* best screenplays, and it's all what counts for me. It's just shameful of them.

The magic of Star wars does not lie in it's screenplay, but more in the execution of it to a film.

I can see the same material go terrible wrong.

Good observation.

Perhaps Star Wars. But Jaws is a fine screenplay. It's structuring and scene pacing is perfect, the characters well-drawn, and the dialogue quite sharp. Yes, it could have been less than the masterpiece that it is. But it has a brilliant screenplay.

Ted