BBC Radio John Williams Interview this Fri.

mahler3

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not expect a Williams score in 2006. It's always possible, and I hope to god we will have one, but he's always writing something, be it a film score, concert piece, or just an exercise. The interviewer seems to simply have seen him with a sheet of music.

I think this Superman gossip is very big strreeeeeeeetch!

"Score" could mean printed score... as in Williams is working on a new piece, not necesarily a film score. That's what went thru my mind.

Actually, I think Williams is pretty much always working on something.

So the fact that he was writing something the day of the interview shouldn't really be a surprise. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff he's written that we have never heard about. The Elegy for Cello....there was nothing about that until a couple of years after he wrote it. The new NBC piece, no one knew that was in the works either.

A film score is possible, however, we don't always hear things immediately - we don't have a spy in Williams office...unfortunately.

It could be a series of arrangements from his Signature Edition, which I would like to see. Or a film, though Im sure Ottman has Superman Returns.

Well the movies that are scheduled to come out in the summer are....*checks the web* wow that worked. I've got nothing. Is Speildberg currently working on anything?

Spielberg is currently developing various projects. There's a possibility that Indy 4 will be his next directing gig, but there are also reports that he might be taking as much as a year off...

Spielberg has said that he was taking the year off, at least from directing. Although the Indy 4 rumors have been flying pretty fast lately, and if it's going to happen they better do it when they have the opportunity, year off or no.

Personally I'm in the camp that thinks that the interviewer just misinterpreted something else that Williams was working on as "a new score".

How long does it normally take to compose a score?

Going back to the start of this thread, I think composers generally have about 3 months to compose and orchestrate their scores. Some composers (Bruce Broughton on Lost In Space) had considerably less time than this.

Personally I'm in the camp that thinks that the interviewer just misinterpreted something else that Williams was working on as "a new score".

Maybe he misinterpreted his 'new score' for the NBC themes?

John Williams could possible be composing a new concert peice instead of a soundtrack. Because as others have said I know of nothing that he is working on for a film, at present time. If anything maybe the Abraham Lincoln Project, but it can't be that because that's still in Pre-produciton.

• 4 weeks later...
Currently working on a new score ...

May be ... SUPERMAN 2 !!!  :|  

It will be a justice regarding the fact that it will be " a new score ", and the best occasion to do an homage to the memory of Christopher Reeve !!! ;)

First, let me say how silly is to think that if Williams is writting something, it has to be for film.

Most likelly, it was the Geisha suite.

If it wasn't the Geisha suie, then my bet is that is a concert work.

To think that we would go back to Superman 2, even more knowing now the reason he woulnd't like to do Superman Returns... Have any of you really thought about all that?