New "Star Wars" Assignments For Composers.

skyy38

It seems that George Lucas is fiddling yet AGAIN with Star Wars E4.This time,the changes involve music only.He needs the following:

Underscore for the Luke/Han argument aboard the Death Star("....better her than me...")

Han and Chewbacca Theme

Underscore for "prepping for launch" on 4th moon of Yavin.

A concert arrangement for The Force theme.(Soundtrack Album)

Spotting is completely up to you!

If you can,post your stuff.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting idea, skyy. I think that all these but the Force theme would be detrimental (a concert arrangement being independent of the film). Star Wars was very well-spotted (in stark contrast to Empire).

Please MIX the force and Darth Vader theme.

It would also be COOL to mix Qui Gon's Funeral with Duel of the Fates. Or turn the Darth Vader theme into a fugue.

I would LOVE another Star Wars CD.

throne room concert version=force theme concert version?

Not quite,especially when it's mixed up with Lukes theme.I'm talking about writing a "B" part for the Force theme, of which there is none presently.In Jedi,somewhere,there's an arrangement of the Force,but it's just a modulation for the "B" section.

Go back and listen to Princess Leias Theme from ANH(CD 2,Special Edition) and you'll see exactly

where I'm coming from..

Here is a concert version of the Force theme, mostly based on "The Rebel Fleet/End Titles." Only two minutes long. It may derive from piano sheet music. Source: David Vincent's John Williams MIDI site.

You know... instead of re-recording the exact same arrangement with a change here and there and releasing it on a new cd, why don't they make completely new arrangements? Especially with themes that never saw a concert arrangement...

Almost every single other recording uses the exact same composition...

WHy can't they do more stuff like Williams did when he made a 'Flag Parade' concert arrangement?

I would love for a Trade Federation March.

~Sky

Two existing possibilities for a B theme in a hypothetical concert arrangement of the force theme, would be the middle section of Anakin's theme, and the "Duel of the Fates" theme (which is actually a rotation of sorts of the force theme).

Han and Chewbacca Theme

There was this funny but noble woodwind melody when Chewbacca is running to that bait body in return of the jedi. Somehow, I always looked at this moment as a rudimentary motif for Chewie. Maybe an expansion of that idea in combination with a variation on the rebell fanfare (which I somehow always associated with Han) would make a nice Han and Chewbacca theme.

The overall tone would be pretty interesting. A love theme or something heroic. Maybe both? LOL

Maybe I will try that Han and Chewie thing. Could be a lot of fun. Problem is that there is no real moment in ep4 between these two characters that would make it necessary to have one theme focusing on both characters, which is, after all, the reason why Williams did not compose such a theme. My version would be solely inspired by how I think and feel about the relationship between Han and Chewie, which is hard because we never actually get to know much about that. According to books and stuff a friend of mine told me (he is an absolute star wars nerd) Chewie was a slave in some sort of imperial mine while Han was an imperial soldier (?) once but somehow they became friends and he rescued chewie from slavery.

You know what's really funny about your topic? Today, I actually sat down and tried to come up with better musical ideas for the first pirates of the caribbean.

You know what's really funny about your topic? Today, I actually sat down and tried to come up with better musical ideas for the first pirates of the caribbean.

If you are looking for a real challenge, try to come up with even worse ideas 8O

If you are looking for a real challenge, try to come up with even worse ideas 8O

Tiësto was quite succesful at that.

Han and Chewbacca Theme

Maybe I will try that Han and Chewie thing. Could be a lot of fun. Problem is that there is no real moment in ep4 between these two characters that would make it necessary to have one theme focusing on both characters, which is, after all, the reason why Williams did not compose such a theme.

Why would the score have to hinge on the characters?How about the comic situation ITSELF? Characters don't have to be "motifed" to death,everytime.

A light hearted piece of score(think Hanna Barbera style) would be perfect, culminating

in the sound of a high bell or triangle as Luke gets his idea...

That's my version,at least

• 4 years later...

o_O For this comment you resurrect this old thread?

On topic: The "John Williams Anthology" piano album contains a piece "May the Force by with you", which qualifies as a concert version (although it's rather short, it has a B section).

On topic: The "John Williams Anthology" piano album contains a piece "May the Force by with you", which qualifies as a concert version (although it's rather short, it has a B section).

Is that the version Gerhardt did, which is basically Yoda and the Force where he explains to Luke, and alternately concludes as Luke walks away?